HOW CAN I SYNC UP MY SHIT?

HAPPY PAPPY

I HAVE NUMEROUS INSTRUMENTS WITH MIDI CAPABILITIES, AND I FIGURE AS LONG AS I HAVE IT, I MIGHT AS WELL USE IT. IS THERE A CERTAIN PIECE OF EQUIPMENT I CAN GET TO SYNC THEM ALL UP? I JUST WANT TO PUSH PLAY ON MY DRUM MACHINE AND MAKE IT START MY PROGRAMMED KEYBOARD LOOPS, SAMPLES, ETC. AND KEEP IT ALL IN TIME. MY FOSTEX FD-8 HAS MIDI CAPABILITIES ALSO...I'M CORN-FUSED.

I Have my keyboard, roland vs880 run through
a midi connector to my soundcard and use powertracts and jammer software. I can use the software as master or slave and vice versus with the roland. I can play my keyboard and record to the software. Then play it back to my recorder. If you have a tape based recorder you have to record an
fsk tone before you record unless of course your recorder has mtc or the like.
Even with my roland I have to record midi data to the roland before I record. This is
how my software works. I just set my roland to receive the midi data. Play back what I have already recorded to my software.{not my
roland computer} It then records the midi data without taking up a track. There is no sound to this by the way. Then its ready to record. I can then play back what I have recorded on the software and record it if I want or just play that part back and play along with it with another instrutment or add another keyboard part. If I use the roland as the master I just hit start and the music and anyother device starts in sync. I can reverse
this if I want by hitting play on my software program and the recorder starts.
If you use your computer, and say you have powertracks. You should be able to sync your
drum machine or anything else that is midi.
Its the simplest and the best way I know how.
All You need is a midi connector to your soundcard which should be less than $10 and
some software. There are some shareware programs that you can get. I'll give you a page where you could try these. Powertracks is only $29.00 though and fairly easy to learn. Also you can use all your soundcard
instrutments with it. I think you will enjoy this much more and have more options.
Now you dont have to go this way but you will
have to read your manuals on your midi devices to find out how to make one master and the other slave. Of course all this is going to take some time. You must know what
midi out,midi in, midi through, master,slave means.
Im no midi genius but I had my stuff up in one day . I'll give you all the help Im capable of but Im sure there are midi programmers here that know this stuff inside and out.
All this new-fangled stuff is making my hair grey.

Duckhead

Back