Horrible noise in my guitar signal, no one on the internet seems to know why

Johntrhodes

Hello, I am trying to record direct into the instrument input of my Evo 4. There is a high end hum/hiss that is always present in the signal. It is present with any gain setting, any instrument, any cable, any volume. Nothing is clipping. Here is a video with details and example

Please please please help me. I can't figure this out. I just wanted a clean signal

I'd wager it's the blue tooth in your phone, or some other wireless device being picked up by the computer. I've experienced similar sounds when I had a cell phone or even a cordless phone (when the line is open) near the computer. Remove everything from around the computer that is wireless.

Yup, watching the video it sounds exactly like ‘wireless pollution’. The computer ‘may’ be picking up the wireless, but more likely your guitar pickups are picking it up.
Do an experiment. Just take your guitar, plug straight into an amp and move your phone close to, and away from your guitar pickups . You’ll hear it (‘wireless pollution’) plain as day.

I'd wager it's the blue tooth in your phone, or some other wireless device being picked up by the computer. I've experienced similar sounds when I had a cell phone or even a cordless phone (when the line is open) near the computer. Remove everything from around the computer that is wireless.
Awesome, thank you so much I didn't think of that! I'll try it when I get home. Thank you thank you

Reactions: cfg
Yup, watching the video it sounds exactly like ‘wireless pollution’. The computer ‘may’ be picking up the wireless, but more likely your guitar pickups are picking it up.
Do an experiment. Just take your guitar, plug straight into an amp and move your phone close to, and away from your guitar pickups . You’ll hear it (‘wireless pollution’) plain as day.
Thank you so much, I'll give that a try!

I'm actually a type 1 diabetic and my pump and cgm both emit Bluetooth 😳this might be challenging

So I gave it a shot fully expecting the Bluetooth to be it, and it wasn't 😔 I turned everything around it off, my insulin pod controller, my phone, even pulled the wifi from the pc, and it sounds awful still.

Yes I know my room is a mess I have depression okay 🤣

Bus noise - the computer in my temporary office is making the same noise - the internal data is getting onto the audio line, often via the grounding. It rarely happens with external audio interfaces, but is nearly always there on PC internal sound cards. Are you using an interface?

Try to see if you have any transformers near wires, move wires around, try to hide the transformers behind something hard. If you have cheap wires with bad insulation you could be getting EMI. XLR cancellation will not prevent this. Good shielding on expensive wires helps. Do you have any routing software, maybe an open channel is active with a real high gain setting - Although I would think there would have to be a mic in there for that to happen. Try turning your room lights off, move them to a different outlet. Also, how is the support for your interface? I would try calling them and see if they have any ideas, maybe a ground short somewhere in the system. Did you try a different cord/cable? By the way, are your guitar pickups humbuckers or single coil?

Hi John, I am of much the same opinion as others here "bus/ground/earth loop" noise. I see you have active monitors (on the floor!) these are often the cause of ground loops and that can happen even if they are turned off but the IEC power plug is still connected. It is a shame the EVO4 does not have a headphone output but you could unplug the monitors and see if the noise goes on the DAW screen.

Do you have a guitar amplifier? If so plug guitar into that and record it using the mic. Have EVERYTHING but the EVO, amp and PC off and disconnected.

Can I make two requests? Next video, could you do it in landscape please? Then, and I am ALWAYS asking peeps this...make a test recording JUST of the guitar for a level check, mic off, then kill the guitar so we get 20 seconds or so of JUST the noise. THEN attach to post as a 320k MP3. We can then just drop it into a DAW or RTA for 'inspection'.

(I also think I heard some "zipper noise"? This happens when the mouse is activated)

Dave.

Back