Homemade talkback system?

Agent47

Dismember
Hey, I'm having an overhaul of my home studio when I move house (which at this rate will be around 2035).

I have a Mackie 1402 mixer, and would like to rig up a talkback mic into it for voices and down-the-line people. I already have TB on my Samson C-control, but it's very quiet, plus I'd like to have a box I can put anywhere for ease.

Making my own - is it simply a matter of getting a dynamic mic and adding a switch (push to make) along the cable? I don't need to latch, just push n' hold.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated!

:)

That wouldn't be a problem. Just use some box that looks cool, or go the other way and use a Purina can. They sell momentary normally open switches at Radio Shack and Ace. You could have input/output jacks on the box or just cut a mic cable and have it hard wired.

There's a bunch of "Car 54" mics out there, people collect them. A friend of mine has a funky old Telex for talkback. Here's a Turner one, mold included :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-TURNER-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2559020f9b

another thing you can do is wire up a small box with xlr in / out and a 1/4 inch trs jack breaking the link between.
Then go get a cheap keyboard momentatary pedal like a sustain pedal and plug it in.
Throw the pedal on the floor and step on it when you want to talk.

It works great live too on stage when you want to only have an active vocal mic giong when you step up to it.

Cool. I know some studios that have pedal-triggered talkback. Handy when you've got hands on faders, keyboards, pen and mouse all at the same time...

LOL
I have actually had more of a problem with that thinking I pushed the mute button and missed....

oooops

I guess until you fat-foot one while mumbling what you really think of the client.:p

Once, during a voiceover session that was over-running by a few hours due to poor script, I let out an exasperated 'f*cking hell'. When the client/voice in the booth said 'I agree, 'f*cking hell' ', I realised that the talkback had latched...

Back