Homemade Booth

So if they don't absorb sound, they don't diffuse it, what do they do with it?

That's not what I said at all. Read what I wrote carefully. They do absorb, but only in a very narrow (and unhelpful) bandwidth. I also didn't say that they weren't reflective; they are, but they do not create a diffuse field...and are therefore not diffusers by definition.

Frank

Haha, i wasn't attacking you or anything. I was just asking because i wasn't sure. :)

I didn't view it that way, no worries. I just wanted to be very clear for the benefit of others who might be reading this thread and wondering the same thing.

Frank

Frank- that response should go into a sticky or something. It clearly explains why the egg cartons won't work in terms noobs and pros alike can understand.

Anthony

Frank- that response should go into a sticky or something. It clearly explains why the egg cartons won't work in terms noobs and pros alike can understand.

Anthony

Haha...thanks Anthony, I appreciate that. It's something I explain a lot, so I've got it narrowed down to essential terms. :)

Frank

This is classic...Sabzi from the Blue Scholars said his studio was an amateur operation, you gotta start somewhere.

Well, when your ear develops to the point where you can tell you're sucking all the life out of your recordings with egg crates and bed foam, you'll know where to find us.

Nah, if he was aware of that fact, he'd also be aware of the fact that egg crates are completely useless when it comes to ANYTHING that has to do with sound.

Well...they are excellent diffusers in a pinch...I recently glued different lengths of 2" bys to panels to get a similer effect with less smell and danger.

Id have to say that non fire retardant foam is what killed 110 Great White fans about 4 years ago...you want to remedy that as soon as you can.

I made my booth big enough to put a set of drums into if I need too...if you have the square footage....cool...just a suggestion.

I hope it sounds good to you, because that is what counts.

Diffusers? No.

Egg cartons have four purposes:

1. To hold eggs in transport.
2. To hold eggs while painting them for Easter.
3. To start seedlings.
4. To temporarily hold nuts and bolts while you dismantle an engine, transmission, or some other complicated piece of machinery you don't want to spend hours looking for the oddbal nut that rolled 20' down the driveway while you swear in front of your spouse and neighbors.

Now, if you said you brushed many layers of fiberglass resin onto the cardboard egg crates, I'd say you are onto something.

;-)

They are good basic difusers...I even saw designs in Books utilizing them.

As a person who spent six days and about 40 boxes of staples hanging egg cartons in a live room, I can tell you *for certain* it's a waste of your time.

And, removing the egg cartons and picking out the staples with a flathead screwdriver upon being disappointed is even more of a waste of time.

Believe me or not, I'm just sharing my experience. I bought into the concept too - hook line and sinker - and nothing useful came out of it except loss of potential billing while I, like an ass, stapled carton after carton everywhere.

Just because some "expurt" puts it in a book doesn't mean it's true. Certainly any of us with minimal effort can find a "fact" that quite honestly, isn't even close.

"Facts" like these propogate quickly because the idea of a very cheap, nearly free solution to make a recording studio sound better is very attractive. I totally get that - like I said, been there done that - but this "fact" happens to not be a fact unfortunately.

I'm really sorry, just trying to save you 6 days and 40 boxes of staples ;-)

but him having them there is better than nothing.

Not always the case my friend, and that applies to most things in life. Quite often actually, nothing is better than wrong. That too, I'm afraid, I learned the hard way.

Not to mention eating all those eggs.

I like eggs but not that much lol. If you really want to do the egg thing make friends with your local bakery, diner, or generic breakfast joint and they'll give you all the egg crates you want - fairly large ones too.

Back