Home Studio Keyboard Recommendations

HomeRec

so what do you think of the sounds?

On the jv-1010? I didn't really play around with it much. The few times I did, I wasn't all that impressed. However, a lot of other people seem to like the sounds.

Sound tends to be subjective. The best thing to do is find a place where you can try the jv-1010. If you like the sounds, then look at the jv-1010 and other products that use that sound set. If you think another brand has better sounds, go with that.

Either way, make sure to listen to the kind of sounds you plan to use on any synthesizers or modules you are considering buying.

Good luck. :)

home rec...

i was surprised nobody really mentioned the alesis before. i've been drooling over the qs 6.1 for some time. i keep debating how much i'll really use it since i'm not a keyboard player, but i need to get something to put keys and background stuff in to the mix.

i was wandering around mars one day in the keyboard section, and just randomly playing chords on whatever keyboard i passed. i was so disappointed by the feel of every keyboard i touched until i hit the qs 6.1. i thought the action was great, the pianos sounded full and clear,...organs, excellent. i've gone back to mars a few times, and now i realize there are nicer boards out there...for an extra $1000!! i really think the feel of the qs 6.1 is way better than the roland xp10, and the yamaha s30. now i said i'm no keyboard player, so your mileage may vary...

i noticed that mars sold off their qs 6.1 stock at $399, but i was too late to buy one.

It's been so long since i replied to this thread that i forgot what i said before. But i think the person who started this was looking for an answer to his keyboard problem with an idea that he wanted either a yamaha or a roland. So i think i reccommended the roland over the yamaha, but i really wanted to say ALESIS. Then he went and got an alesis and i was glad for him, but everytime i mention the alesis it seems to be taboo. I guess because of the bankruptcy thing. So maltobello i guess there is a reason you saw the 6.1 for $399. But still there is a good reason they are sold out too. hehe.

I have an Alesis Quadra/synth piano plus and i love it. I have not found another keyboard that i like better. :cool:

t

langleyt

Actually, I've run the gamut... this thread is a good chronology of "scaling up" one's price ceiling and expectations for a keyboard.

Step 1: Yamaha PSR-540 (had been looking at it for a while)

Step 2: Quick glance at Yamaha/Roland low-end boards, then to Fatar SL-161/Roland jv-1010 combo

Step 3: Yamaha S03/S30 (S30 in lead)

Step 4: (last minute) Consider Roland XP-30 for sounds.

Step 5: Alesis QS7.1

I had been pointed towards the QS7.1 fairly early on as a good value, but balked at Alesis's state of affairs.

A few weeks later, I was actually going to try the Roland XP-30 and Yamaha S30 to make a final decision when I tried the QS7.1 again. Compared to those other boards, the QS7.1 was far and away the best, and less expensive to boot. The icing on the cake was finding a brand-new, factory-sealed board.

bello

If you can find a new QS6.1 for clearance price, go for it. It's a great value. I might have considered it, except for the fact that, for me, 76 keys are much better than 61. As it is, I'm wondering if 88 keys would have been the better way to go. :)

QS7.1 best for sounds or feel or both?

I'd heard that the Alesis sounds were a few years old, and that sampling technology has improved so much recently that the Alesis sounds were relatively lower quality. Leaving aside the feel of the keyboard, would you still choose the Alesis on the basis of sound quality alone?

In my book you can't go wrong buying Alesis for sound quality, but that's just my very humble opinion. Would you guys believe that i have played the demo for people to show the sound effects and they have wanted me to make them a copy of it just to listen to. That thing really has an impact.

t

langleyt said:
HomeRec, i think you made the right decision. :)

t

Thank you. Given the options, it was definitely the best of the bunch. However, I'm re-evaluating the number of keys I really need - 76 is a bit more limiting than I'd anticipated, and I do actually miss the piano feel.

Can you say "QS8.1"? :D

P.S. - I have the Eurodance QCard's demo in .mp3 format, and I listen to it frequently. :)

rogerwilco

Regarding the sound quality on Alesis boards...
HomeRec said:
The deciding factors were, in no particular order, number of keys, keyboard action, sound quality, flexibility, and (as stated before) price.

However, I should add that the Yamaha S30's sounds were also very good - at least on a par with Alesis's (QS7.1). Both were, in my opinion, far better than Roland's sounds (jv-1010/XP-30).

The usual caveat still applies - try out various keyboards and modules, and determine which sounds you like the best.

Last edited:
Final Note

I looked at the Yamaha S80, since I was thinking that 88 keys and piano action might be a good idea, and the S80's piano action was much better than the QS8.1's. However, when it came right down to it, the difference wasn't worth the extra cost. I may pick up the S80 or a P200 later, but for now, I'm sticking with the QS7.1.

The final factors in the decision were mostly related to the sounds on the two keyboards. Essentially, the S80's piano sounds weren't good enough to justify the considerable price difference, and many of the other sounds I was concerned with were of the same or lesser quality on the S80 as they were on the QS7.1.

Thanks to everyone for their help and recommendations. :)

P.S. - Hey, look... 1000+ views!

Last edited:
Well i certainly will NOT reccommend a Yamaha PSR 6300. Mine just went out and i lost all my program settings plus a song i had recorded in memory that i wanted to put on cd. Now my husband gets to take it apart and lay out all the layers of circuit boards and start soldering. But, i'll still have to reprogram and redo the song. :(

t

langleyt said:
Well i certainly will NOT reccommend a Yamaha PSR 6300.
Hmm... haven't heard of that board... did you mean PSR 630?

Mine just went out and i lost all my program settings plus a song i had recorded in memory that i wanted to put on cd. Now my husband gets to take it apart and lay out all the layers of circuit boards and start soldering. But, i'll still have to reprogram and redo the song. :(

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. Twice I've had to recreate (the best I could) settings on devices... one was my old Roland drum machine, the other was my Korg A5 guitar pedal. Both instances, I believe, were caused by a small static shock near the input jack on the back of the unit ("plug this in... *zap* ouch! Hey, where are my drum sequences/effects settings?"). Quite a hassle, to say the least.

For what it's worth, the PSR series is Yamaha's consumer line of keyboards. This certainly doesn't excuse the fact that it died, but if it's a PSR 630, it's also fairly old (if it's a 6300, it may be even older, as I've never seen one). Unfortunately, I'd expect a consumer-targeted keyboard (a la PSR) to go before a professional-level synth (a la P- or S-series).

Of course, unless I'm overlooking something, the PSR series are also the only Yamaha boards except for the MOTIF that come with a built-in sequencer.

Thanks for the warning, though. And may your husband's skill with a soldering iron allow your keyboard to rise from the digital ashes. :)

HomeRec said:

Of course, unless I'm overlooking something, the PSR series are also the only Yamaha boards except for the MOTIF that come with a built-in sequencer.

Actually, the Ex5, and Ex7 come with built in full sequencers. Also, the S 80 and S 30 come with a play back sequencer.

Albert

Hi HomeRec, the 6300 is the older Yamaha. So really the reprogramming will not be as bad as i made it out to be (not anything as bad if it had been my Alesis), but of course the song is a different story.

We haven't taken it apart yet; so i don't know if we can bring it back to life again or not. This will be the third time it's done this, so i guess i will just have to put up with it or forget it.

t

AlinMV - When looking at synths, a built-in sequencer wasn't a factor, so it doesn't surprise me that I missed the Ex series.

I did look at the S80, S30 and P200, and knew that the S30 and S80 had playback sequencers. However, I don't really count them as "full" sequencers (a la the Ex- PSR- and MOTIF boards), so I didn't mention them.

langleyt - The song is the toughest to take. Hopefully, you at least have a decent memory of how the primary parts were played. A good approach to take in a situation like that is "well, I'll get it as close as possible, and who knows... maybe I'll come up with something better than I had before." :)

Of course, the song ties in to the programs, which are infinitely more difficult to get JUST right. When I lost my Korg A5 effects, I reprogrammed as best I could, but knew that they most likely weren't exactly the same as before. Same with the Roland drum machine sequences.

My most recent technical difficulty actually has nothing to do with music equipment. Just as I was preparing to buy a desk and monitor speakers, my monitor died. Again. Previously, it had mysteriously started working after being inoperable for a good 6 months to a year. Needless to say, I'm now looking at new monitors.

Funny things, those home electronics. ;)

P.S. - If this is the third time the PSR 6300 has died on you, I'd say that "forget it" sounds like the better of the two options.

Last edited:
Review???

HomeRec

Now that you've had the Alesis board for a while, can you give us some honest to goodness opinion on the quality of the board... I mean does it sound good? What specific sounds do you use and what kinds of music to you play. I have a QSR, but don't use it much. . . The price was right at the time, but it sits in my studio gathering dust... I would like to put it to good use, so any review would be appreciated.

Thanks

Albert :)

Alesis QS7.1 review (such as it is)

AlinMV said:
HomeRec

Now that you've had the Alesis board for a while, can you give us some honest to goodness opinion on the quality of the board... I mean does it sound good? I have a QSR, but don't use it much. . . The price was right at the time, but it sits in my studio gathering dust... I would like to put it to good use, so any review would be appreciated.

Someone wants my opinion on a synthesizer? Talk about the flip side of the coin... ;)

First, let me qualify this review with the fact that I have thus far only really listened to the output of the synth through inexpensive headphones and computer speakers, since I do not have studio monitors or a keyboard amp. Also, I do not know how similar or dissimilar the QS7.1 is to the QSR.

That said, I think the sounds on the QS7.1 are very good. My personal favorite program is the DM5 Drums kit, which has excellent samples, especially the kick and snare. The piano programs are good quality, not even close to a P200 or a real piano, but they do the trick. A bit of tweaking is most likely required, however, as they are a bit "reverb-happy". The bass samples are okay, passable for background, but you're certainly not going to fool anyone into thinking Les Claypool stopped in to record a track for you. Finally, the string sections on the keyboard are very nice, especially for background music.

Bad samples include single stringed instruments. If the scraping, screeching "Violinist" sample was a real violin player, he or she would most likely be fired on the spot. It is horrendous, as is the viola sound. The winds section has a few decent samples, but most are mediocre to bad (saxophones are a good example of "bad").

As a final note on sounds, one feature I really liked was the entirely separate General MIDI bank. Essentially, the entire General MIDI sound set is represented, in order, in a single group of 128 programs, a feature which I did not find in any other keyboards (It may have been there, but I didn't find it). You can even set the keyboard to "General MIDI editing mode".

The editing is... well, in a word, complex. Lots of screens, lots of options, and lots of information to digest. The effects are arranged in a bizarre fashion as well... 5 sets of effects in different configurations rather than separate processors for each effect. However, once you get past the learning curve (aka read the manual in detail), there is a lot you can do with this keyboard, and you can get a excellent results, as it contains a very powerful synthesizer and effects processor.

The synth-weighted action was a major selling point on this keyboard. Unlike the Yamaha S30 and Roland XP30, this keyboard actually has some weight to it. And, since it is only synth-weighted, it isn't nearly as heavy as 88-key weighted boards (Yamaha S80, Alesis QS8.1).

The QS7.1 also has 76 keys, another strong selling point in its price range. It's not as good as 88, but much better than 61. There is also an "easy transpose" feature that allows you to transpose the keyboard up or down a maximum of one octave, allowing you to get at those hard-to-reach high or low notes.

Overall, I'm still fairly impressed with the QS7.1. I will most likely eventually pick up an 88-key weighted board for piano playing, as 76 keys and synth-weighted action is a bit limiting. But for now, the QS7.1 delivers a good variety of sounds, good feel, and top-notch customizability for an excellent price.

Great review HomeRec. Makes me feel ashamed; you seem to already know more about your keyboard than i do mine and i've had my Alesis for about two years now.

Quote:
"However, once you get past the learning curve (aka read the manual in detail), there is a lot you can do with this keyboard..."

Here lies some of my problem. Is your manual very user friendly? Mine is written in pig latin. I've just got to make myself sit down and read the thing; i'm too impatient with it.

t

langleyt said:
Quote:
"However, once you get past the learning curve (aka read the manual in detail), there is a lot you can do with this keyboard..."

Here lies some of my problem. Is your manual very user friendly? Mine is written in pig latin. I've just got to make myself sit down and read the thing; i'm too impatient with it.

t

I don't know as I'd call it "user-friendly", especially the pages that describe the effects arrays. I usually start getting that "lost" feeling when looking at the effect diagrams, as they resemble blueprints for a space shuttle.

However, I wouldn't say it was written in pig latin, either. It's more like regular latin; very similar to the language you know, and if you concentrate hard you'll start understanding it little by little. I was determined to learn, so I kept reading and re-reading sections, and eventually the conceptual pieces started falling into place.

In short, the manual isn't bad, but the concepts and descriptions are, of necessity, complex.

If you want to, you can take a look and judge for yourself:

Alesis Manual Page

All of the QS-series boards' manuals are on this page in PDF format.

Thanks for the review

HomeRec, thanks for the effort and time it took to post your thoughts ont this keyboard.

Albert

Back