Home Studio Keyboard Recommendations

XP-10

The difference betwen the XP-10 and the Yamaha SO3 is that the XP-10 is 32 note and the SO3 is 64 which, is the same difference between the XP-10 an the XP-30. I am not sure but I think they are all 16 part multitimberal.

:)

Ive seen the fatar 990 in big studios and has far better action than many of the rolands at three times the price, this 499.00 midi controller is worth a try.Its got hammer action and the lows ring out a little louder like a real piano.

i have been interested in getting a keyboard or a piano lately. and i go out to mars to test some things. first off full sized keys and proper weighted keys were two must haves on my list. so i went and looked from around 600-1500 and they all sucked. they dint even remotely sound like a piano, and they werent really that sensitive to touch. they didnt make different sounds. how much do you have to pay for a digital piano you can gig and record with that will sound like a real piano? $5000? i hope not.

kristian

Try the Yamaha P200. It is an amazingly good stage piano for under $2000. As a long-time piano player, I was very impressed by the authenticity of its sound.

darrin

I did a double-take on the price of the sl-990, as the sl-880 is $700, and the sl-760 is $500. I much prefer synth-weighted for my use, but that is almost too good of a price to ignore... :)

However, I'm starting to move away from the jv-1010, as the concept of memorizing switch positions and numbers to get to sounds seems a bit cumbersome to me. Besides, I can add the jv-1010 later.

Ozlee

I mentioned the S03 when I started this thread, and it's funny you should bring it up again, as it's rapidly becoming my first choice. 700+ sounds, 61 keys, initial touch and 64-voice poly is tough to beat for $500. What it is lacking is customizability (as in the S30), aftertouch (not a big deal to me), and expandability (jv-1010 takes care of that). The only other negative is the synth action, which is pretty weak, but for $500 I think I can deal with it.

As far as your setup (Yamaha SO3, Roland 1010, Korg XR-5), you might want to start a bit slower... pick up the S03, then add on the jv-1010 and/or XR5 if you feel limited. Myself, if I felt limited by the S03, I would probably return it and go with an sl-990 and the jv-1010, or upgrade to the S30.

Questions - all

Does anyone know if the sounds in the Yamaha S03 are the same as those in the S30? Also, can you "tweak" the sounds in the S03? It doesn't have to be real-time. Also, assuming you can tweak the sounds, are there any user banks in the S03 to store these settings?

Finally, does anyone know if the S30 has aftertouch? It's advertised as such, but I tried the keyboard and didn't hear it.

S03 not S30

HomeRec

I have an S80, which the S30 shares the synth engine with. I have also played the S03, and IMHO I can tell you just from playing them that the sounds on the S03 are not the same quality as those in the S30/S80. The latter are much more superior.

Albert

kristian . . .

Most higher end roland boards have good piano tones in them. And roland's action is one of the best out there.

Alesis has USEABLE piano tones. If you can tweak them with EQ, even better, and the action on the qs8.1 isn't too bad.

The roland XV88 is 2000 bucks and the Alesis QS8.1 is around 1200. And those are NEW prices.

SEE . . . YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEND 5000!!!

--Tax :D

i played the QS8.1

maybe i didnt give it enough time of day. Also at MARS you had to stand up :) i guess thas not exactly neutral testing ground for playing and/or sound. but still. it didnt have the sensitivity of an acoustic with pedal variation etc.

I haven't found . . .

I haven't found a synth/digital/workstation/controller/anything BUT an acoustic piano that could, if I closed my eyes and felt the action, make me think it was an acoustic piano.

The sad truth is that NOTHING really feels as much like a grand as a grand. The mission becomes to find the closest thing that can help you to play more expressively than half size keys with no weight to them, etc.

Unfortunately we have to stop judging synths' action solely against acoustic pianos and yes, judge them by an acoustic, but also in comparison with other synths. Because, honestly, it's apples and oranges. You're NOT going to find something that will fool anyone. :rolleyes:

I know it's sad but true.
--Tax :D

I haven't found a synth/digital/workstation/controller/anything BUT an acoustic piano that could, if I closed my eyes and felt the action, make me think it was an acoustic piano.

The best I've tried so far was the Yamaha P200. It's about as close as I've seen to "real" piano sound and action. And it's under $2000 (with built-in speakers). The reason I'm not looking at buying it is the fact that I need more than piano (and the other sounds on the P200) for my use.

However, I may end up picking one up eventually. It is a very nice keyboard. :)

Digital Grands

My experience has been that the speakers you use to monitor that digital piano or piano synth patch are just as important to the sound you perceive as the actual sample. I never found a synth patch that made me think that a real piano was being played. They are all semi reasonable facsimiles. That said, the Yamaha P-200 is a darn good board.

Also, the S-80 expansion board has some fantastic Piano sounds. Again, with all sampled sounds, you need to tweak, EQ, monitor through whatever medium that will satisfy your ears.

Albert

And the winner is...

...the Alesis QS7.1

After trying the Yamaha S30, the Roland XP-30 and the Alesis QS7.1, the QS7.1 was far and away the best keyboard for the money.

There is, of course, an element of risk in regards to Alesis's current (and more importantly, future) state of affairs. However it was, quite simply, too good a deal to pass up.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. :)

hey homerec

What was the deciding factor? Number of sound patches? Keyboard action? Price?

IMHO it seems that every instrument I play has a different feel or action, which is something I accept being the nature of individual instruments bieng different one from another. Because of this I didn't really feel that having the same feel or action as a piano was important. What I considered to be the most important was the creative ability a synth could provide combined with midi controls.

Does the Yamaha SO3 get a thumbs down for a first synth choice. Every time I try to settle on features and a price range I cann't help but ask if I'm throwing money away by shooting for something around $500.00. But that seems to be about the most I think I can spend since I'll not be using credit to buy with.

Ozlee:confused:

the Ozlee

The S03 is not a bad choice at all for the price. Although I would prefer the S30 by a mile, for the kinds of sounds I am looking for: Pianos, EP's, Organs, Strings, etc. the S03 is extremely good ofr the money!!

my 2 cents.

Albert

What was the deciding factor? Number of sound patches? Keyboard action? Price?

The deciding factors were, in no particular order, number of keys, keyboard action, sound quality, flexibility, and (as stated before) price.

...it was, quite simply, too good a deal to pass up.

As for the S03, it was out of the running fairly early due to its poor (practically nonexistent) keyboard action and lack of flexibility (computer voice editing only). The prevailing wisdom seems to be that the S03 is a bridge between Yamaha's home and professional series synthesizers. I'm not certain, but I believe the sounds on the S03 are a combination of the two.

The S03 doesn't get a "thumbs down" for a first synth choice. It does give you a lot of voices, and the price is very good. As usual, the best thing to do is try it out. If it sounds, feels, and seems good to you, go for it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to go with. :)

Did you try the Roland RS-5 or RS-9?

I'm trying to make the same decision, and I'm deciding between the Yamaha S03 ($499) and the Roland RS-5 ($649). I just need it for home studio, want quality sounds, and am primarily a guitarist so don't care about the key-feel. What would I get for the extra $150 with the Roland that I wouldn't with the Yamaha? Also, what would I get if I sprung for the Yamaha S30 instead of the S03?

Yes the Roland JV 1010 is a big bang for the buck, but there aresome prblemsyou should know!

In the first time I was using it with cubas it was´nt a problem,because I didn´t spend so much time using it, but after that there were too many " dropouts, midi delay: wrong sounds etc., If I had the monexy I would buy a differnt sound-module why not from roland if it is more stable.

But so far it´s fine- don´t tryto use it live!

Ive played arround at my mars too and have not found anything that even stacks up to what I allready have with the fatar and the yamaha sound expander. If you get a chance to try a fatar sl990 you will belive that for under 1000 you too can have what you are looking for.

rogerwilco

I never tried out the RS-5, though I did see it in my travels, so I really couldn't say what many of the differences are between that and the S03. One of the obvious ones is the "all-in-one" pitch/modulation controller on the RS-5, which replaces the pitch and modulation wheels. I do not care for this controller, but it's a matter of personal preference.

By upgrading to the S30, you are losing sounds, but (in both my opinion and general consensus) gaining sound quality. You are also gaining on-board voice editing capability and built-in expandability (there are two expansion board slots available in the S30). An important note on the S30's expansion boards; they do (I believe) add additional polyphony (maximum sounds that can be played at once) to the S30 - useful for MIDI sequencing.

As far as quality of sounds, you should try all three and see which one sounds best to you, especially in the kinds of sounds you plan to use the most.

Eebaf

I've made my purchase, but that's an interesting bit of information for anyone else looking at the jv-1010.

darrin_h2000

The Fatar SL-990 controller does look like a good deal, but if you don't need 88 keys or piano action, there are definitely less expensive solutions out there.

Last edited:
Back