Home record studio. Where to start??

Bmft

Hello, Everyone,
I just got all basic equipment for bedroom budget studio and new laptop. And I want to record some freestyle hip hop music, or create my own on top of instrumental. Don't know anything, Where to start? I already installed drivers for interface, flstudio, Do I need drivers for my mic and monitors? Any configuration/setting up? Or just plug in and go? I will try to find info about recording freestyle somewhere in yt maybe, but how to set things up? Thanks for the info, any starter articles would help, website links.

There are no drivers for mics and monitors - those plug into your interface.

Without details on what gear you have, exactly, its hard for people to give much advice.

As [MENTION=39487]mjbphotos[/MENTION] has said, list all your gear by name and model number - software and hardware.

Yeah.. you'll need to set sampling and bit rates between your interface and DAW (flstudio). Then figure out how to route input signals (keys, mics, etc..) to Tracks and headphone/monitors output so you can hear what's going on while recording and playback. Plug something in and try recording.. if you don't see the meters moving or can't hear anything, someone here can walk you through it.

I have a mic: rode nt 1A , scarlet 2i2 3rd (already have drivers and apps)gen , krk rokit 5 g4 monitors, ath-m40x headphones.

So it's down to your chosen DAW, your selection and sourcing of sounds, and how good you are, I guess. I know nothing of hip-hop music, so I guess you start making the beats - so as soon as you have your DAW operational so you can make sounds come out of the speakers - you are ready to go. Then it's finding sounds and putting them together musically. Members here can help with that too.

Although it doesn't get much traffic {it rarely has here} it might be worth checking out the DJ and HipHop section.

It gets no traffic because people generally want to be heard but don’t want to take the time to listen to someone else’s mix when it comes to that genre here. Annoying.

Hi again,
So my equipment works fine, I found some basics on how to record vocals through DAW, I also did learn how to turn on my interface, and use it...although if I want to record my vocal on a beat in DAW, i need to max out my mic gain all the way, seems not normal?Any daw settings or should I look up for interface settings? Or maybe somehow make beat same level as my voice?

Last edited:
You answered your own question.

Just lower the volume of your beat while you record your vocal.

YOU can always adjust both later.

So if I do that It will be lower in my headphones or in the track? Or they are both different settings?

Back