Hidden Tricks

applesmasher

You know like hiding a extra track or making sublimnal messages in the background. Or when played backwards it says something like "weed is good for you!" Anybody know any other tricks you can do when mixing?

I just love to hide a 10 hz tone at a 1,000,000 dB level so when you play it back it blows up your stereo. My favorite trick (next to the subliminal "ALL HAIL SATAN" thing).

Well, there's always the whisper track and the COWBELL track...

But back in the mid 90's, when almost everone wore a pager, I was laying some backing vocals on an album. I kept turning my pager on and off and you'd get a single "BEEP" like you had a message waiting. I figured I'd just clean it up later...

However, when everyone was in the control room to listen to the takes, they'd all start glancing at their pagers in the middle of the tune - It was hillarious - They'd glance down at their hip and then shrug their shoulders or shake their head. I thought it was awesome. It must've been a boring day. You couldn't "hear" that beep unless you solo'd the track, but it was there and it was clear.

We left it on. There's 10,000 copies of it out there in the U.S., and I'm not sure how many overseas (although I'm not sure of the people/pager ratio in Europe). On top of that, we put it on several songs instead of just that one.

Somewhat related to what Massive just said...my friends just recorded a demo song, and during the chorus there is this sound that is exactly like a single ring of my telephone. Every single time I hear it, I pause it and listen to see if the phone is ringing...ok maybe not every time, but the first few times it really got me.

In one Audioslave song, there's the ringtone of my Motorola cell phone when you turn it on and off...
And coincedently, I had just gotten the cell phone around the same time I got the CD, and I thought the cell phone was broken because it was turning on and off on its own!

i know a song, I think it's Max 300 by Omega that when you play it, it never fails to short out and forever ruin your bass speakers.

Some vinyl pressing companies can set up the record so that it must be played from the inside outward. I've always thought it would be interesting to have the A-side played normally, then have a B-side which is played from the inside outward, with a backwards version of the A-side.

New Member here.

Hey everybody. Just saying I'll be around to help w/ Drum Questions / Miking drums etc. I'll also be here to learn from the best of you about others things that I am not as competent in such as mastering, miking vocals , guitar.. etc.. I must say this website is nothing short of Awesome.

My gear at home here is:

DW 5piece Drum kit w/ Zildjian and Ufip Cymbals
Roland SI-24 interface using Logic 6 RPC PRO.
Oktava MK-012 Overhead mics.
Shure SM57..few of em..
Audio Technica 30 35 Overhead pair.
SHURE BETA 52 kick mic
EV hypercardiod mic for recording amps and sharp rejection of drum bleed.
4 Cad NDM 10's and 1 Cad NDM 11

Thanks.

I have a Fever. And the only Prescription is More Cowbell!

was there a subliminal message there michigan drummer? i must not have caught it.

if you leave your phone on vibrate...the vibration rattles somewhwere around the D note. my bass player was able to simulate that sound on a track and when people hear it..they look around to see where their cell phone is...thats a fun one.

Subliminable George Dubbuya.

There was a subliminal message, but now we can't smell it. It typed that article whilst taking a shit. J/k. I was just introducing myself so I didn't seem to jump in to interrupt.

Randy

I was recording an acoustic on a hot day with the windows open and now there is the faint sound of an ice cream man driving by in the tune.

I think if you're going to do the whole subliminal thing . . .

. . . the messages might as well be evil.

I had a guy in last year who recorded a Christmas album, and on one of the tracks, he had his backup singer saying: "Santa Clause is Satan" in reverse. Now if you ask me, I'd say that's some pretty creative use of backwards messages.

The Fibonacci Sequence is (0, 1,) 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, etc. Each number plus the previous number equals the next. Rabbits, snail shell spirals, Mandlebrot fractals... All basically follow that sequence.

The cooler part is the Golden Number - Any of those two numbers divided inversely equals 1.618 (or regularly as .618). THIS you see a lot. Architecture, art, look at your knuckles - The long section is approximately 1.618 x the length of the next section, which is 1.618 x the length of the tip section.

"Gee, John - You must've been a wiz in mathematics!"

Not at all... I hated math.

This is just a little of what the Discovery Channel has shown me.

How Tool is using it, I can't say that I know... Not that I don't like them, I just don't have any discs here to reference.

Massive Master said:
The cooler part is the Golden Number - Any of those two numbers divided inversely equals 1.618 (or regularly as .618). THIS you see a lot. Architecture, art, look at your knuckles - The long section is approximately 1.618 x the length of the next section, which is 1.618 x the length of the tip section.

and when your arms are stretched out horizonally... measuring fingertip to fingertip gives your height :)

And twice around your wrist is equal to once around your neck.

And your elbow to your wrist is equal to your foot.

Pretty cool, eh?

Back