Hi, newbie gal with cakewalk woes......

Urbanite

Hi :)

I'm so glad I found this site....very excited about learning as much as I can about home recording :cool: I have installed cakewalk (after much frustration with Acoustica) and, well....lets just say I'm a vocalist, not an audio engineer...LOL TRYING to learn all I can because if I could have a studio here at home, my wallet will thank me a million times over :p

What I'm having a problem with at the moment is simply RECORDING my vocals along with backround music (wav file) that I'm bringing in. The music I import plays fine, however, when I go to hit 'record', I'm not showing anything. This is probably something so simple that I'll end up kicking myself :rolleyes: ANY and as much help anyone could provide me with would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance~

First,
at the left there will be a track for audio. Hit "r" there to arm the track. THEN hit the big r button on top.

DavidK said:
First,
at the left there will be a track for audio. Hit "r" there to arm the track. THEN hit the big r button on top.

Hi David,

Thanks so much. I have the studio open and here is what I did:

*Insert* Wav File
Wave file shows up
Clicked on *audio console* tab
To the left, MiDi file-clicked the *R* as you said
Hit *Record* button at top

Nothing. I want to be able to hear the wav file as I'm singing to the music, then I want to be able to play it back.......

:confused: :confused: :confused:

1. Dont use the Console.

2 Midi is not what you want.

Forget the wav file for a bit, can you get your voice to record? on the left, there should be somethin that says audio. That is where you see the r button. Puch the r button to check your volumes, etc. Then at the top press the big record button.

Also tell us what kind of equipment you are usin ( soundcards, preamps, mics). We will figur it out.

Urbanite,

Are you not hearing the track you're trying to record or the track you imported?

What version of Cakewalk are you using?

We'll get you through this!

Joel

In the Track Mode:

1) Right click and choose "Add audio track" ... an additional audio track will appear next to the imported track.

2) From the "Input" dropdown menu, select the signal source your vocal will be coming through.

3) From the "Output" dropdown menu, select the signal path out to your appropriate sound card channels ... through which you are listening.

4) Now arm the new audio track by pressing the "R" button on the track itself. It should light red.

5) FINALLY - press the main record button and deliver the best performance ever blessed upon mankind!!!

Good luck K-

K-

Thanks so much David. I'll try that here in a few minutes..... I really am JUST learning about all the studio talk so I'll try my best to help you help me...lol Sound Cards... I installed Sound Blaster 16 and my Mic is a rather cheap one. What I did with the Acoustica program I had was hook up my singing machine (I know, don't laugh!) to the back of the computer, mike hooked into singing machine.....boom, record in progress. I've not changed any of that as I would like to keep using that technique.....

Joel, I'm using CakeWalk Pro Audio 7. I was able to hear the wav track I imported, but nothing seemed to be recording when I would hit 'record'.... Thanks in advance!

first and formost you have to have your inputs assigned. It drove me nuts till I got the hang of it...assigning inputs and all,then it is GREAT! :) Are you inputs assigned?
Jim

jmorris said:
first and formost you have to have your inputs assigned. It drove me nuts till I got the hang of it...assigning inputs and all,then it is GREAT! :) Are you inputs assigned?
Jim
........................................................................................................
Yea ok you have to assighn your input source on your CakeWalk Pro Audio 7 software. if you look around on your track screen you will see that there is a an option on the "audio" track itself to assighn inputs. here when you open it up you will see an option to select an input from your audio card(your sound Blaster 16 card). here you need to make sure you select the input of your sound card in wich you connected your mic. once thats set up put pro audio 7 in record ready mode and then press record. now you should get a signal comming in, Hopefully. good luck.

Back