hi end noise on guitar track - speaker or mic rattle or ?

powpowmeow

does this noise sound familiar to you?

mic is at4050 about a foot & a half away from 12" speaker

only notice the noise when i play that last note in the clip. i hear it on other notes too, but not all (as you can hear in the clip). and the noise gets louder when i play louder.

first thought was that it's the speaker rattling

however the 2nd mic (shure 57) pushed real close to the speaker doesnt pick up on the noise

so then i was thinking, maybe the speaker is too hot for the at4050 and something inside the mic is rattling. it does have a -10db pad which is engaged (pattern is set to cardioid)

another possibility is the shockmount holding the at4050 is rattling / vibrating

figured id run it by some more experienced ears who have heard all kinds of random annoying noises while recording... thanks:thumbs up:

Attachments

• noise - Copy.mp3
    632.3 KB · Views: 15
say man... tried to listen on these shit speakers here at work and nada. I could barely hear it at all.
I'll try again later.

I also checked the spl rating of the 4050 and it's in the 130 db range so I doubt that's it. Kinda doubt it's the shockmount too. Once snugged up, they're pretty much good to go.

Does it sound like fret buzz to you? You got low action on your guit?

I dunno. Just throwin stuff out there.
Hopefully someone with real speakers can chime in for ya.

:)

Sounds more like something vibrating in the room. Even then, not much of a sound that I would think would be coming through in a mix.

That being said, the amount of low end in that guitar track I cranked to hear the noise, was vibrating the Post-It holder on my desk. Not sure it was even the mic that is causing your issue. I didn't hear anything at low volume or on my little speakers.

I don't hear anything abnormal. Kind of a fuzzy bleed off like I would expect out of a pedal or multieffect unit.

Did you actually record it that hot, or did you normalize that clip, because it's ridiculously hot.

I hear a noise, not sure if it's the one you hear, but it could be anything. Start your own process of elimination.

yeah i normalized to peak , sorry guys. i will isolate just the little 2-3 seconds and reup without earbleeding levels.

but the noise in question is at the end of the clip... it's when i play the highest note in the clip. it's like a metallic sorta sound. it's pretty quiet, but i mean... it's really obvious when you isolate the track and wear headphones.

gimme like 10-15 to reup that, i am roasting a lovely pork loin that i must attend to

yeah i normalized to peak , sorry guys. i will isolate just the little 2-3 seconds and reup without earbleeding levels.

but the noise in question is at the end of the clip... it's when i play the highest note in the clip. it's like a metallic sorta sound. it's pretty quiet, but i mean... it's really obvious when you isolate the track and wear headphones.

gimme like 10-15 to reup that, i am roasting a lovely pork loin that i must attend to

I think you are peaking out your gear man. I hear nothing odd in headphones...

I think you are peaking out your gear man. I hear nothing odd in headphones...

peaking out my gear? not sure what you mean

yeah you guys are right, i think it's something in the room...in fact now im pretty sure i know what was causing it...

thanks for the help guys. glad i made the thread, cuz i was convinced it was something with the mic.. or speaker... i probably would have taken apart the cab by now haha

I wouldn't settle for "you won't hear it in the mix" though. While that's probably true, you don't want things rattling around making noises that aint supposed to be there.

I wouldn't settle for "you won't hear it in the mix" though. While that's probably true, you don't want things rattling around making noises that aint supposed to be there.

im totally with you on that
spent a lot of dough to record guitars and make them sound real nice, not really feeling random ambient noises...

Back