Can't record due to noise

Neutrino

I'll try in this section of the forum as well, as it seems rather dead elsewhere and I've progressed a bit with the problem's "symptoms" (hope that's okay).

I have a very annoying problem, and I can't get on with my composing before it's solved. When I'm recording (in Cubase), I get this very loud distored, cracked noise that's really unpleasant for the ears - it only last like a second or so. It usually happens when I have more than 2-4 tracks, and especially if one of the tracks are drums. I notice that the more virtual instruments playing, the higher the velocity of the notes, and the louder the tracks, the more frequent it occurs. So therefore, I initially thought it might be due to clipping. Thing is, it is not. Sometimes, meters are just fine, no clipping, and the noise happens anyway. I then thought it might be due to something with the connection to my keyboard, but same thing happens when I just use the mouse to play the keys. VST performance looks fine, and I've tried provoking the noise when looking at my CPU and memory performance. There seems to be no problems there, there aren't even any peaks.
This also not only happens during recording, it also happens on playback of the entire track, but it isn't consistent in any way. It isn't like the peaks are getting too high and then the noise occurs; no, it just happens randomly. Sometimes, the noise is delayed with a few seconds after I've (angrily) played some keys, don't know if that means anything.
I notice that Cubase registers the sound itself - the meters raise (way too high) when it happens. But it isn't recorded. When I play back the track where I thought I recorded the noise, I can't hear it in the same place it ought to be. I've also tried muting all the other instruments while recording only one (with no clipping), but this seems to have no effect at all on the noise.
Any ideas to what might be wrong? I can't really record anything as it is now, I've searched the Internet clean, and it's really driving me nuts.

Last edited:
Sounds like the problem is the link between the audio driver. Maybe the computer is maxing out and this causes the grief - usually a nasty very loud buzz, not usually distortion of the output signal? Have you recorded this sound so we can hear?

Occasionally my Tascam will kind of half disconnect - the driver is still in place and the device is making horrible noises. Turn it off, drop the driver, and then turn it on again solves this one for me - happens maybe once avery couple of weeks or so. Have you looked at the performance monitor that shows you how hard your computer is working and has red lights for danger, like most cubase meters. See if they are red, and watch it when you are working. Maybe the CPU can't cope, maybe the hard drives are unable to go that fast and shift enough data contiguously with no gaps. Probably something like this is happening. Pinning to down will be tricky. My system keeps having a sudden huge demand on the CPU from somewhere - I will eventually find it, but it's enough to stop a recording. Mine just mutes. Your's seems different but similar?

On this forum, I think most uses use the new posts button - so see every new post, and don't stay in just one forum area - based on the names that pop up all over the place.

What audio interface are you using? What sample rate are you recording at? And what size is your ASIO buffer set to?

Do you have any loose or bad cables/connections...have you checked?

Well, it also happens when I haven't got my digital piano connected at all, so I don't think it's a problem. There is, of course, the cable between my headphones and the computer, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.

Sounds like the problem is the link between the audio driver. Maybe the computer is maxing out and this causes the grief - usually a nasty very loud buzz, not usually distortion of the output signal? Have you recorded this sound so we can hear?

Occasionally my Tascam will kind of half disconnect - the driver is still in place and the device is making horrible noises. Turn it off, drop the driver, and then turn it on again solves this one for me - happens maybe once avery couple of weeks or so. Have you looked at the performance monitor that shows you how hard your computer is working and has red lights for danger, like most cubase meters. See if they are red, and watch it when you are working. Maybe the CPU can't cope, maybe the hard drives are unable to go that fast and shift enough data contiguously with no gaps. Probably something like this is happening. Pinning to down will be tricky. My system keeps having a sudden huge demand on the CPU from somewhere - I will eventually find it, but it's enough to stop a recording. Mine just mutes. Your's seems different but similar?

On this forum, I think most uses use the new posts button - so see every new post, and don't stay in just one forum area - based on the names that pop up all over the place.

I can try and record the sound, but then I'd have to install some additional software. As I said, Cubase registers the noise but somehow doesn't record it.
Yes, I have (like I wrote) taken a look on the meters: the CPU or memory isn't overloading, at least not according to task manager.

What audio interface are you using? What sample rate are you recording at? And what size is your ASIO buffer set to?

I'm using ASIO4all v2.13 if that's what you mean, and recording at normal 44.1 kHz, 24 bit. Sorry, I don't know much about drivers and such, so there may very well be something there that I've missed. The buffer size seems to be set to 512 samples.

So I take it that you're using your computer's built-in sound device for recording and playback? And not an external dedicated audio interface?

If that's the case, then it'll be worth considering an audio interface. They're purpose-built to handle tasks like you're doing, unlike the integrated sound chip on your computer's motherboard.

In the meantime, see if there is a way to adjust your ASIO buffer size and make it larger. That'll introduce more latency, but it should help alleviate the pops/clicks/stutters/dropouts caused by having it set too small.

So I take it that you're using your computer's built-in sound device for recording and playback? And not an external dedicated audio interface?

If that's the case, then it'll be worth considering an audio interface. They're purpose-built to handle tasks like you're doing, unlike the integrated sound chip on your computer's motherboard.

In the meantime, see if there is a way to adjust your ASIO buffer size and make it larger. That'll introduce more latency, but it should help alleviate the pops/clicks/stutters/dropouts caused by having it set too small.

I am. I know, and I probably will in the future, but as it is now, I'm a bit short on money, and I'm not going to invest in one unless I am 100% sure that it (and it only) will solve this problem. I'll try out adjusting the buffer and see if it helps.

Doesn't help at all (even set it at maximum). But as the problem also occurs when I'm not recording but also just playing the recorded track, I guess it makes sense. Mind that the noise isn't recorded like the actual sound.

Are you sure that in your DAW, you've set it to use the ASIO4ALL drivers instead of the default ones? One of the local Cubase experts can outline the process for you, I'm sure.

Cubase should give you the option to use a Generic Low Latency ASIO driver. Try that.

But it also sounds like your computer is not up to the task of using all the VSTi's. What are the specs?

I am 100% sure that I've set it to ASIO4ALL, yes. Checked it a couple of times now.

Capture.PNG

Processor is Intel Core i5-4570 CPU 3.20GHz, RAM is 8GB, OS Windows 8.1. I believe my soundcard is a realtek hd audio drive.
I tried the "generic low latency ASIO driver" like you said, but unfortunately it didn't help.

I've been thinking you might be right about the VST thing. The noise started when I started using instrument tracks, and when I have to assign an instrument to each of these tracks, a new instance of the VST is loaded. I am not longer able to just load the one instance and then use the different channels (actually, does anybody know why this is the case? I'm very new to composing and Cubase, and I still don't really know the difference between MIDI tracks and instrument tracks, except the MIDI allows the different channels).
I'll try and switch back to MIDI-tracks and see if the noise continues to be there.

How many virtual instruments are you using at one time? Are they sample-based or synth generated?

What are you recording? Audio? Actual instrument, mic? Or is it all midi and VSTIs?

It worked! Thank heavens! I've overloaded the system with max clipping and more than 10 drum tracks at their highest volumes, and no noise! Only two VST's are loaded. I can't say how relieved I am, after days I can finally continue with my composing. Thanks for your help, I've learned a bit in the process.

I've been thinking you might be right about the VST thing. The noise started when I started using instrument tracks, and when I have to assign an instrument to each of these tracks, a new instance of the VST is loaded. I am not longer able to just load the one instance and then use the different channels (actually, does anybody know why this is the case? I'm very new to composing and Cubase, and I still don't really know the difference between MIDI tracks and instrument tracks, except the MIDI allows the different channels).
I'll try and switch back to MIDI-tracks and see if the noise continues to be there.

Ah, you posted as I was still typing.... :)

There is a way to assign multiple inputs to one VSTI using channels. I'm not sure how to do it. I usually use only one or two VSTI's at one time.
Sample-based VSTI's will load down your RAM. Synth-based VSTI's will load down your CPU.

I'm using a digital piano to transfer MIDI data to play virtual instruments (EastWest). But I had a look on a couple of tutorials on the Internet these past days to learn more, and they all used instrument tracks instead of MIDI tracks, so I thought that maybe that's what I ought to use. However, a new instance of the VST had to be loaded each time. I guess this is what caused the system overload and hence the noise.

Track levels shouldn't make a difference. It's the number of VSTIs that affect system performance.

Glad you got it working.

Back