Hey I got a Reel to Reel! Need some advice

Frusciante_Fan

Hey guys. I came across what seems to be a really nice deal. I saw a RadioStation ad that was auctioning off analog equipment. I got an Otari MX55-NM for $25.00.

The tech. there powered it up, did a test record, play, ff, rewind, and everything seemed to work just fine. He said the heads were pretty worn out. But I was like, hey 25 bucks, why the fu*k not.

So I have a few questions.

First, were do I find new tape at these dayz? I need 1/4 inch.

Also, how much does it cost for a tech to re-align it?

The tech at the station said that this deck really isn't for mastering, was he right about that? Is it good enough to track some vocals to and take advantage of its analog sound?

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the newbie questions.

Hey Fan,

If you have the means can you post a well lit, in focus close up pic of the heads to help the guys here get a better idea of just exactally how worn they are?

:)

OUCH!! Yup, the heads are indeed severely worn (if not gone) - major flat spots - and the tape lifters are bad too! This machine may need a major overhaul including having new heads put in (or if possible relapped) and the tape lifters replaced or turned around, not to mention the pinch roller which may be bad as well. This in addition to any mechanical / electrical probs the machine may have. This would be a significant investment and imho it's not worth it. Find a nice, low use, local TASCAM is my recommendation.

Yeah, that's unfortunate, Bill, but it goes to show that buyer must indeed beware ... It's good, however, the original poster didn't spend more on the machine.

Yeah no doubt cjacek, there are a few brightsides:
Only 25 clams and not $250, no refund hassle, no additional outlay on tape or tech charges.

Don't be too discouraged Fan, there are lots of machines out there good and bad and i'm sure if you asked you'd find many folks that have gambled and lost far more than 25 bucks on gear.

Daniel is right about the heads and the lifters look cut nearly in half. :eek: I can't say by those pics if the heads could be relapped or not. You may be able to get new heads from Otari, but their parts are generally more costly than TASCAM.

One thing to remember about buying from a radio station is that those machines are more likely to be worn out from continuous commercial use.

The heads are probably just the tip of the iceberg, and I'm sure the moving parts and motors have seen better days.

Although it's probably a moot point now, the MX-55 worked as well for mastering as anything else. It was introduced in 1988 with a list price of $3895.00.

On the other hand, in a commercial facility things are more likely to be maintained, and parts are replaced as they fail. So, you might have something there worth resurrecting if all you really need are heads and guides.

Here’s the manual:

http://www.otari.de/support/pdf/MX55NDE6.PDF

~Tim

Thanks Guys

I appreciate the honest feedback:) Eh, I guess your right about the cost. I think im going to fix the cosmetics for now and just wait around to see if I find some better heads on e-bay. You guys think that is a good idea?
How much are new heads from otari?

Oh and by the way, I recently got wind of an Ampex ATR-700 from my college. The tech. there said that the heads are in excellent shape. Maybe I should take some pics and post em here and get some advice first though.

The Otari may be an excellent learning tool (albeit a limited one for the lack of good heads) for doing your own callibration / allignment so I wouldn't part with it for that reason alone. Make sure you study, in depth, the maintenance and adjustment section of the manual Tim (Beck) posted and do some hands on work on the recorder. Lots of good info in there! (Valid for most other decks). This may be the beginning of a positive experience.

Frusciante_Fan said:
good idea, I guess this would be a good "lab rat". I already started printing the manual. :) thanks beck.

That's exactly what it is, a "lab rat". :D This reminds me of a clunker I got for free a while ago, a reel recorder, not in the best condition but it served as a learning tool which enabled me to poke around in there and get to know the basis of practially all tape recorders ...

I like the atr-700

Frusciante_Fan said:
Thanks Guys

I appreciate the honest feedback:) Eh, I guess your right about the cost. I think im going to fix the cosmetics for now and just wait around to see if I find some better heads on e-bay. You guys think that is a good idea?
How much are new heads from otari?

Oh and by the way, I recently got wind of an Ampex ATR-700 from my college. The tech. there said that the heads are in excellent shape. Maybe I should take some pics and post em here and get some advice first though.

I like the atr-700 but don't jump into one too dearly. If the cost is right you might consider one as a mastering deck or as a remote master deck.

They come in many formats but you should look for the half track machine with a 4 track 2 channel playback head as well.

They have 2 XLR inputs per channel and an onboard mixer. That would give you 4 mics.

I'm currently working on adding phantom power and an upgraded mic pre to mine. The mic pre is transformer input and old opamp based. The simple upgrade is to replace the old opamp with something more modern. I'm thinking of the OPA627 for one set of inputs and the opa124 for the other.

Other desirable features are the ability to select bias, EQ and operating level to match the tape that you are using. (switches on front , NAB,IEC on rear)

Teac inside and I thinkl that it is clearly an underrated deck.

Inexpensive too.

umm...
those pics show that the heads during their use must have been badly aligned to wear that much. Also the guide posts are a complete write off.

In the U.K the cheapest 4 track heads i can find for otari are £283.97

By the way a here is a price list for otari heads i found

4 Track £283.97
8 Track £378.26
16 Track £591.69
24 Track £758.76

i didn't look at the sites much

just did a search for otari heads and wrote the cost (had to calculate VAT)

i know EEEEK

i may be looking for a rec/play head for a Fostex Model 80 if anyone can help

as it is starting to fail completely on traks 1 and 2 all others are ok.

Keith

Frusciante_Fan said:
The tech. there powered it up, did a test record, play, ff, rewind, and everything seemed to work just fine. ....
Is it good enough to track some vocals to and take advantage of its analog sound?.
since it works just fine, then why not? :)
So how does it sound (performs as recorder)? Did you try to record something? Actually I wonder how the machine with heads that look like have also "tape-guiding function" :D would sound? I never had something like this on my hands.
As a though: you could keep eye on e-bay auctions (and/or local listings) hoping to spot a 'dead machine' with good heads ... something like THIS ITEM as example. So for another twenty something bucks or so you could have all the fun changing the heads and do all the tweakings ... and then take all the advantage you can handle carrying away barehandedly :D .

..btw, that's a cool machine, imo

/respects

i completely agree with the fellers who suggested that you enjoy that machine much like a hung over intern around a fresh cadaver... the difference is that when a tape machine is unplugged, pulled apart, prodded, analyzed and tinkered with, you very well might make it work -- especially if you can find another basket case... unlike another cadaver... another stiff will always just be another stiff... but a parts unit... with a parts unit you can actually be god... the big guy... the cheese... the kahuna... bringing life where there was none... not just a practicing god barely eeking through college with two dead bodies and a blistering hangover...

heap of junk.

EEEEEEEEEEEEK
That machine looks a wreck
I couldn't possible find any use for a machine looking as bad as that, not only that, on the right side you can see thae paintwork stripped away and it is starting to rust, not to mension the scratches on the faceplate below the headblock.

The only machines i go for are the ones in REASONABLE cosmetic condition, not ones that looks like they were thrown off a cliff.

May be good for parts but nothing else.
In it's current cosmetic condition i couldn't see that being a usable machine.

Keith

krhall said:
I couldn't possible find any use for a machine looking as bad as that...
Keith, don't you think that machines can be used in some other ways, than just as objects to be looked at? :D
/respects

I'm sure it would be useful as a tape delay, for playing loops, flanging (if you can get another machine), speedup/slowdown effects or even just for the preamp circuitry.

I like my machines to be clean scratch free and presentable :D

ok so some of the older machines i have do have the odd ding here and there but it is nothing compared to that pic lol

Keith

Back