Here is a rough one...cover of Queens "Tie Your Mother Down"

A Reel Person said:
Really nice! The music tracks have a totally authentic sound. The riffs are excellent and tight.

The vocal should be pitched a couple registers higher, eh? Did you try wearing striped spandex and a fur cape? How'bout squeezin' yer balls in a vice?

...........;)

HA!Don't think I'll be trying that one anytime soon!I think I'll just stick with my randomly out of key vocals for now :D !Thanks for the feedback...I've heard this song covered from many bands,including Motorhead,Raven,and Ted Nugent...tried to get my vocals to sound a bit like LEmmy's version...although I have nowere near the power or gravel...they were lower.

SnakeDog5050 said:
Doesn't your wife understand that there is nothing more important than guitar and homerecording bbs? :p :p Just kidding, don't tell her I said that!

Cool, we'll see how the dogs can do backing you up. Thanks about the vocal compliment too, I don't get those too often :D

Yeah,I try to explain the importance to her ,but being that shes pregnant and due in early January...she's past the point of logical and rational thought...she has become the woman with 100 personalities...all crying to be heard :D !
I am putting the versions up today when I get home from work...will post a note here when they are ready!

Nakatira said:
Great cover man, really authentic.
I love that song, its got such a drive and you captured it nicely.
I'm sorry for standing you up on the the vox, but I have no equipment over here were I'm at.
But as soon as I come home, end of november I promise to give it a shot.

Sorry for the late critics, Its rarely I get a full audioble system down here.

but anyway cheers on a great song, and remeber Brian Harold May uses a coin for a pick. :)

Hey Nakatira,Whats up!Don't worry about the vocal thing...whenever you wanna try it I will have a vocal-less version ready!I'm anxious to hear what you and others can do with it.
Yup Brian used a english pence for a pick I think cause he liked the rough serrated edges or something like that.I love early Queen music....Queen2 is one of my alltime favorite albums.Would love to try to cover Ogre BAttle someday...
Thanks for checking it out...see ya!

variaxman said:
Yeah,I try to explain the importance to her ,but being that shes pregnant and due in early January...she's past the point of logical and rational thought...she has become the woman with 100 personalities...all crying to be heard :D !
I am putting the versions up today when I get home from work...will post a note here when they are ready!

Variaxman Jr. coming in to take over the music industry!!! Hehe, I heard pregnant women are scary :eek: But don't tell her I said that either :p

Cool, I look forward to giving the vox a try. I'm going to have trouble fitting it in this week with a bunch of relatives over, but I'll definitely give it a shot early next week. OR a version might pop up freaturing a bunch of Canadian relatives singing backup... maybe.

SnakeDog5050 said:
Snakedog's version

Yeah I had a lot of fun with this! :D Thanks man.
Are the vocals the right volume? mixed good?

"Tie Your Mother Down" Snake style
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=392607&songID=3309237

Hey Snakedog...sounds like you guys had some fun doing this!You definetly gotta glam rock vibe going with the vox!I think the vox mix is cool...I wish I had a bit more low end in the overall mix...kinda middy to my ears.I thinki'm gonna add some vocals to your version now...this is gonna be fun!Thanks for messin' with this!

variaxman said:
Hey Snakedog...sounds like you guys had some fun doing this!You definetly gotta glam rock vibe going with the vox!I think the vox mix is cool...I wish I had a bit more low end in the overall mix...kinda middy to my ears.I thinki'm gonna add some vocals to your version now...this is gonna be fun!Thanks for messin' with this!

Cool, glad you like it! Good times, I had the disco ball on and all pretending like I was a rock star. Haha, and it's actually all me messing around in different voices trying to do harmonies.
I accidentally had the mic too hot when i was recording so I had to do a bunch of EQ work to work out that clipping... so hopefully that's not noticable
Cool man, have fun... do whatever you want with my version and let me know if you'd like me to mess with anything... or send you the individual vocal track or something

cheers!

Dude.....sounds fun. I thought the vocals were a little loud, compared to the guitars. Not horrible, but a few db.
Sounds like a blast. I might have to give this a try, but it will be way different.....What, with my stupendous 1/4 ocatave range.... :D

Okay!!

Get your striped spandex leotard with suspenders and bare chest exposed, chest hair wig, giant caterpillar on lip that serves as moustache,... and fur cape,... and you're set!! :eek:

Yeah, this rocks. ;)

unfortunately neither of these versions with vocals do anywhere near justice to the tune hehe sorry mates :( .

Great instrumentation though, i liked the guit solos, especially the one at the end. I must ask how one goes about doing an echo, harmony-with-yourself solo like that? Do you just use a delay pedal? I would appreciate if you told me how one accomplishes this because i would like to do similar things in my music =D.

Thanks!

SnakeDog5050 said:
Snakedog's version

Yeah I had a lot of fun with this! :D Thanks man.
Are the vocals the right volume? mixed good?

"Tie Your Mother Down" Snake style
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=392607&songID=3309237

Great work snake, its sound like you really rocked it hard.
I like the vocal harmonies :)
I`ve been workin on this track as well, But my soundcard messed me over.
So I just reinstalled it so hopefully I`ll have an entry soon.

Really cool man, pop that Hi C :D

SKYflyer said:
unfortunately neither of these versions with vocals do anywhere near justice to the tune hehe sorry mates :( .

Great instrumentation though, i liked the guit solos, especially the one at the end. I must ask how one goes about doing an echo, harmony-with-yourself solo like that? Do you just use a delay pedal? I would appreciate if you told me how one accomplishes this because i would like to do similar things in my music =D.

Thanks!

You`ve got a good point there, I dont think anybody can do Freddie`s voice just nor his songwriting talent.
He`s my biggest Idol by far.
I`ve loved queen since I was 10, and I still love it.

But as for the to versions, I think they rock, they take on a different aproach, and both give the song a new egde, experimenting is what the 70`s and Queen was all about :)

SKYflyer said:

Thanks!

Thanks for the props on the guitar solo!I used a POD XT Live and just messed around with the delay tap/tempo settings bpm to match the song's...I'm a huge Queen fan,and love Brian Mays style..the vocals are way beyond me but I'm just having fun soo...MAybe I'll post my cover of "Brighton Rock" or "Now I'm Here"...those should be easy to sing ;) !

Hey thanks a lot guys for the listens, glad you enjoyed it ;)

Davemania - Haha, who says I didn't already have them out :D Naw, just kidding... I did have the lights off and the disco ball going though... next up fog machine!

Nak - yeah I was really living out my rockstar dreams there :D Fun stuff! I look forward to hearing your version too. My E-mu soundcard just stops working sometime too

SKYflyer - No problem man, I'm not going to claim I'm in the same universe singingwise as Freddie. I'm not even going to claim I'm a singer :p , just having fun here. I agree that instrumentation was killer, great to sing to real loud

Dogman - Yeah after not hearing it for a while I think they may be a little loud too, I'll mess with it some more. Yeah, you should give it some Dogman style :cool:

SnakeDog5050 said:
Hey thanks a lot guys for the listens, glad you enjoyed it ;)

Davemania - Haha, who says I didn't already have them out :D Naw, just kidding... I did have the lights off and the disco ball going though... next up fog machine!

Nak - yeah I was really living out my rockstar dreams there :D Fun stuff! I look forward to hearing your version too. My E-mu soundcard just stops working sometime too

SKYflyer - No problem man, I'm not going to claim I'm in the same universe singingwise as Freddie. I'm not even going to claim I'm a singer :p , just having fun here. I agree that instrumentation was killer, great to sing to real loud

Dogman - Yeah after not hearing it for a while I think they may be a little loud too, I'll mess with it some more. Yeah, you should give it some Dogman style :cool:

You have Emu to? cool
I also have a firepod, but I was using the Emu, because its more conviniant when only recording vox.
:)

Hey SnakeDog - You sure put some ATTITUDE on this tune man. I can envision you strutting around singing this full out. That's the way it's done - Sweet! Great backing track as I said before too...Good one... :D

variaxman said:
Thanks for the props on the guitar solo!I used a POD XT Live and just messed around with the delay tap/tempo settings bpm to match the song's...I'm a huge Queen fan,and love Brian Mays style..the vocals are way beyond me but I'm just having fun soo...MAybe I'll post my cover of "Brighton Rock" or "Now I'm Here"...those should be easy to sing ;) !
yes! please do "Brighton Rock"!!!!

The version that's on their albums is only like 5 mins or so long, but I have some downloaded versions of this song where they performed it live, in an extended version, and I just love Brian May's guitar solos using the delay where he plays in harmony with himself just like you did in this song =D.

Nak - yeah I use my E-mu for everything I do. Did reinstalling it work? When it goes out I usually uninstall the drivers and then remove it from the device manager too.

Ido - thanks! Yeah I went all out for this one. Haha, going all out is probably my only vocal style :D Otherwise I don't usually like they turn out.

Cheers!

SnakeDog5050 said:
Nak - yeah I use my E-mu for everything I do. Did reinstalling it work? When it goes out I usually uninstall the drivers and then remove it from the device manager too.

Ido - thanks! Yeah I went all out for this one. Haha, going all out is probably my only vocal style :D Otherwise I don't usually like they turn out.

Cheers!

Yeah its up and running now, so its all good :)

Back