Help with studio design

jbascur

Dear All:

I started building my house and of course it will have a homestudio...
After some heavy negociating with my wife I got the following space... (picture)

I strongly want to have a control and a live room... What would you do withing this space?

Thank you on advanced.... (Puertas means doors)

Attachments

• Estudio.JPG
    Estudio.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 136
> I strongly want to have a control and a live room... <

And I strongly want to have a million dollars. :eek:

Sorry, but it's just not a good idea to divide a room that small. The smaller the room, the worse it is acoustically. And this is already about as small as one room should be. So I'd leave it as is and treat it as best you can manage.

--Ethan

Si,

estoy de acuerdo with Sr. Winer. That room is not big enough for CR/LR type studio. You need to do the all in one thing.

Ethan Winer said:

Sorry, but it's just not a good idea to divide a room that small. The smaller the room, the worse it is acoustically. And this is already about as small as one room should be. So I'd leave it as is and treat it as best you can manage.

--Ethan
I could fit about four of my control room in that one room Ethan, lol. It's all i have to work with.

Ethan Winer said:

--Ethan

Hey! I have both. A million on my account and an studio with control and live room..! Life is god! :D

So....

So my dear friends...
Understanding that all I want is a HOME studio.... I'm not protending to sound like Abbey Road!!!!
And yes, I want to record a live acoustic drum kit using my roland VS2480 and hopefully listen and tweak it "real time" listening it on my m-audio BX8 monitors...

Do you think I can get a acceptable sound?

And Pandamonk, How would you make the division of the two rooms within that space?

Thank you on advanced... And Mr Fernandes, could you please lend me some of your million? not really a lot... only... say... 50.000? :D

Last edited:
jbascur said:
So my dear friends...
Understanding that all I want is a HOME studio.... I'm not protending to sound like Abbey Road!!!!
And yes, I want to record a live acoustic drum kit using my roland VS2480 and hopefully listen and tweak it "real time" listening it on my m-audio BX8 monitors...

Do you think I can get a acceptable sound?

And Pandamonk, How would you make the division of the two rooms within that space?

Thank you on advanced... And Mr Fernandes, could you please lend me some of your million? not really a lot... only... say... 50.000? :D

I think Ethan is just trying to give you the best acoustic advice, but if you need 2 rooms then that is what you should do. Just make sure you treat the piss out of it with bass traps and you should be fine.

Glenn

Ok, I cannot think of a way to make two good(acoustically)rooms, especially control room(with good stereo imaging). Only way i can think of doing it is to add an extra room(vocal booth) check the attached pic.

Attachments

• jbascurs room setup.JPG
    jbascurs room setup.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 59

One word of advice then. First off, I agree with Ethan. And this is why. Drums are IMPACT sound as well as harmonic. To "tweak" the tracks while recording live drums, that means you have to TRUST what the monitors are telling you as they are relaying what the studio mics are picking up. In order to ONLY hear the monitors, transmission of impact/low frequency sound MUST be reduced to negligble levels in the control room, or your judgement may be impaired by sound transmitting into the control room through the structure. Especially the floor if not a concrete slab. Even then, structural transmission may occur if the drums are not decoupled from the floor, especially at close distances. This translates into decoupling the studio from the control room by either shear mass, or resiliant decoupling, or a combination. It is this very reason that simply deviding the room by standard partitions of stud/drywall will NOT provide the TRANSMISSION LOSS required , especially for drums. To build an even somewhat isolated space, this "divider"
partition wall must increase in thickness, which reduces the width of each room. Look at this.

partitions2c_663_146.gif

Those are basic assemblies, and are RATED for transmission loss. However, what these really are illustrating is the concept of MASS AIR MASS, where the mass is a LEAF. Notice the INCREASE in transmission LOSS, when ONE LEAF is removed from a THREE leaf assembly. This is why its important that you ONLY use a two leaf assembly. These illustrations also show an INCREASE in transmission loss when one leaf is decoupled from the other, as shown in the example with a rating of STC63 which is a speechband frequency rating. Music, especially low frequency may transmit much easier. In fact, given the fact that drums can reach 110db, I'll gua-ron-tee it!:D If you are talking LOUD drums, then decoupled mass is the name of the game. This could concievable require up to 4 layers of drywall on each leaf of a DOUBLE WALL partition. However, if the floor and ceiling are not addressed as well, you may be short circuiting
all your planning and hardwork/money.

What I'm trying to tell you is ISOLATION takes up floor space/height. And we haven't even talked about the cieling yet. Or doors. Or breathing. When you "soundproof" you "airproof" one room from the other. This translates into SEPERATE ventilation or HVAC supply/return ducting which can be a significant project in itself. Bottom line, if your goal is as you say, then this is the reality. You will end up with VERY SMALL spaces and a multitude of construction and physics reality checks.

On the other hand, if your isolation goal ISN"T that rigid, then you might as well keep it one room and use headphones to monitor.

Well, thats my non expert .02.
fitZ :)

Back