Help with Behringer 1204usb

Jezzae95

I have a behringer 1204usb mixer and 2 computers and a microphone, I have both the computers output s plugged into the 5/6 and 7/8 stereo line ins on the mixer and I have headphones plugged into the headphone jack so I can hear sound from both computers, I then have the usb cable plugged into the pc I use for recording and skype calls and have the 5/6 and 7/8 going through the main mix which is that usb and all that works fine, however I have the microphone going through the alt 3-4 so I can separate microphone sounds from computer sounds for skype calls etc, the problem is I have a 1/4 to 3.5mm breakout cable going from the alt 3-4 to the mic input on the pc but it only gives me mono audio so the mic is only heard on 1 side, I was under the impression that the alt 3-4 was a left and right but I guess that isnt the case and they are both mono? Anyway just wondering if anyone knows what cable I need to get to make this work correctly? It does not need to be true stereo as its just the microphone as long as it plays through both L and R and also the mic pan on the mixer is set in the middle.

alt 3-4 is left and right.

There are three possible sources of the problem

1 You have the mike hard panned to the left

2 You are taking a signal out of the left alt 3-4 output only

3 You are taking left and right out of alt 3-4, but the PC input is only seeing the left channel

If you describe the actual cable you are suing to connect, that would help

Not quite got my head around it! But I reason that the 1/4" jack to 3.5mm jack cable must be TRS-TRS but with T&R, i.e. L&R linked.

The INTERNAL mic on a laptop is mono, sent to both channels (well, are on my old things) but the line/mic jack is stereo.

Dave.

alt 3-4 is left and right.

There are three possible sources of the problem

1 You have the mike hard panned to the left

2 You are taking a signal out of the left alt 3-4 output only

3 You are taking left and right out of alt 3-4, but the PC input is only seeing the left channel

If you describe the actual cable you are suing to connect, that would help

Hey thanks for the reply and clarifying that the 3-4 is a left right as I originally thought, the problem as it turns out is my pc the line in right channel isnt working and annoyingly the left doesnt work on the mic in so they both broken guess ill just get a soundcard

Hey thanks for the reply and clarifying that the 3-4 is a left right as I originally thought, the problem as it turns out is my pc the line in right channel isnt working and annoyingly the left doesnt work on the mic in so they both broken guess ill just get a soundcard

I'd advise thinking about that last sentence! You seem to be setting up a fairly 'serious' podcasting system?
Now I have not done it and just picked up odd bits of info' but, you might need a mixer system with a "Mix Minus" facility? Allen & Heath have such a beast. Then there is Rode's Rodecaster Pro. Super bit of kit by all accounts.

Needless to say, a decent wedge of wonga is involved but IMHO it would be wise to check what is out there before just going for any old card or AI?

Dave.

Well I got it working using the front panel mic input on the case for the alt3-4 and the usb cable off the mixer for the main mix, bit annoying having the cable flapping around like that but yeah ill look into a better solution later on but for now it works, I was just so confused as to why I was only getting 1 channel not stereo who would have thought the line in and mic in on the pc would have been the issue I did check by plugging other things into those ports with the same problem, but thanks for the help and quick replies :)

Back