Help. Track monitoring/routing and recording

Outlaws

I can't seem to figure out how to record on a track that is receiving from other tracks.

Example:
Tracks 1-4 are drum tracks with effects that are being sent to track 5, acting as a sub, for a stereo mix with some effects.
Track 6 is receiving from 5.

I would like to record track 5 with the effects onto track 6, as a temp scratch track in order to free up some computer resources by disabling the plugins on tracks 1-5.

What do I need to do?

EDIT
Okay, so using the Record: Output (stereo) seems to do the trick, but I don't understand why. Stereo output? Its not the master outputs, what stereo outputs is it referring to? I guess the output of the track coming to it, but it seems that would be an input to the track. I guess its just a little confusing as I am not sure the syntax is correct. But please tell me if I am in the wrong.
I notice I have to turn off input monitoring also in order to not pic up a mic with the mixdown.

Last edited:
Reaper Rules

not that one way is right or wrong, but this is what i would do in your situation.
i would use folders, since lowering the volume in the folder could lower the whole drum mix all together, and you could still add fx to the folder as a sub/bus ...as well as automation control.

if i needed to free up some power i would highlight the drum tracks and apply fx as new take and bypass the fx, that way you have two files on each drum track in case you need to change a parameter on an fx later on in the mix.

If that didn't free up enough power i would bounce down the whole drum folder and bypass the fx in the Drum folder as well. of course you would also have to mute the drum and play the new stereo track instead.

there are many ways to do lots of things in reaper, i'm not saying this is the right way, but it is what i would do at this point in my reaper journey.

best of luck,
--mike--

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 15
Back