Help Needed

Vyodacoda

Hi There,
I am just an old guy in need of some ideas of how I can improve this arrangement and to find out if anyone has any advice for dealing with unwanted sibilance both live and recorded.
This song is just a Golden Oldie that I am redoing and adding some new call backs to etc.
Many Thanks,
Barry.

View attachment Stand By Me Vocal.mp3

None of this is necessary but you asked for suggetions. If you wanted to stretch it out a bit you could write an intro or add a middle 8 section. If you want to change it up you could change up; the middle 8 section by changing the key then coming back to key, or change the progression from 1-6-4-5 to something else, then come back to the verse. You could add harmony on the second chorus. To make it different you could start with a chorus? There are no "horns", you could make a middle 8 section of horns and strings to give it diversity?
Sounds good to me basically the way it is. I can't comment on the mix because I am on a laptop with trash speakers and I can't hear anyway.

Hi There Dogooder,
Many thanks for coming back to me on this. I like your suggestions. They certainly give me something to think about and try out to see what works for this song and what does not.
I am of the old school I'm afraid and I have no idea of what change the progression from 1-6-4-5. Does this relate to stanza positions or something else. If you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it as I have seen this notation before and never understood.
Many thanks once again and the best regards from me.
Barry.

The whole song is over the chord progression 1-6-4-5. I don't know what key you are in? If it is G then the chords are G-Em-C-D. If in the key of C, the chords
are C-Am-F-G. They are both a 1-6-4-5 progressions, just in different keys. Anyway, you could write a solo (middle 8-12 bars, whatever) over that
progression or change it up. Not a good comparison but the first that comes to mind. If you listen to "Love or Confusion" off Hendrixes first album,
the middle 8, or solo, is in a different key, then they go back to Gmajor. I think the solo is in Am, not sure if I am remembering correctly. Not only is the
progression changed but the key also. A lot of music is building tension and letting go at the right time. The dynamics throughout are pretty steady. You could
take one verse make it quiet, or make the choruses a bit more intense? Just suggestions?

Last edited:
That is a nice recording, but there is a lot of "air" around the vocals. I would cut some treble, also cut some treble on the vocal reverb. If you still have too much sibilance, that will be at like 8kHz or so and there are a lot of ways to deal with that depending on how you are mixing/producing.

Yeah, this ^. Plus lower the vocal a dB, cut the amount of verb on it a bit, and lose that synth sound that comes in at 1.47 - it sort of wrecks the lovely mood you created up to that point.

I enjoyed this one. I think you did it justice.

Back