help...need quick answer (ACID)

Yadi

I'm thinking of picking up a copy of ACID 3.0 today. I want to primarily use it to create drum tracks. I use Cubase. Will I be able to import ACID tracks into Cubase?

The short answer is yes. But Cubase won't import .acd files (the ACID project file).

It is easiest to do if you do your drum mix the way you want it in ACID, render it as a stereo .wav - that can be imported into Cubase. The bummer in this situation is that you lose control of your individual drum tracks (if you had any to begin with)
but if you are careful in your mixing of the drums in the first place, and get them spit shined before you render, it is good to go. If you are getting ACID Pro 3.0, it comes bundles with Sound Forge XP 5.0 - which is a junior version of Sound Forge 5.0 - but is still very good and useful - anyway, that is good for some extra .wav editing if you need it before (or after) you dump it into Cubase.
Technically, if you had, let's say, 8 drum tracks in ACID, you could render each individual drum track as a .wav, and then import into Cubase to maintain individual control.

So, yes, you can technically do what you want. Just remember that you can't import the .acd files - Cubase won't read those.
Another thing, you can do the reverse - write your MIDI in Cubase and then import the MIDI into ACID and have ACID control your sequences. Haven't tried this yet, but I am pretty sure it is possible.

Brad

Thanks Brad. Can any of the popular programs (ie Sonar) import the .acd file? Also, I do use midi (keyboard and percussion)....how would I benefit importing into ACID? Do you mean only if I am not doing audio?

Its amazing: either I am stupid or the ACID website doesn't really explain the product well. Nonetheless, I know it can be used to get some quick drum grooves going for when I don't have time to trigger with my Roland kit. ..... at least that is my hope.

Yeah, sorry about that - I meant to say that if you were just using Cubase for the MIDI stuff, you could just import the MIDI files into ACID - my bad.

ACID Pro might be a little pricey and feature packed if that is all you want it to do. You may want to look into ACID Music 3.0 (about $60, I think).

And as far as I know, the only thing that can read .acd files is ACID. Maybe other Sonic Foundry stuff, but I don't know- however, the .acd is the whole project file - not sure that it would do you any good in any other program .wav files that are "Acidized" can be read by just about anything that can import .wav files.

There are probably better ways to do it - maybe some others will chime in with better techniques - I am a novice with this stuff myself - I just wanted to give you a quick answer because I have used the method I described (rendering as stereo wav, and importing into Cubase) and it worked like I expected it to.

Brad

Acid Pro 3 for cheap!

I just ordered from here yesterday...

If you're a High School or College student or Faculty member, check out this place: http://www.journeyed.com/

Acid Pro 3.0 is $149.95 (+ shipping) but you'll have to provide proof of academic status.

Loops are $29.95 per set

Z

Or you could make your tracks in Acid 3.0.

Then sync Acid to Cubase.

Make Cubase the MASTER, and Acid the SLAVE (both programs will be running). :)

Just another option.

spin

Hey, I didn't think of that Spin (Probably because I didn't know it was possible :rolleyes: )

I haven't read my whole copy of "Learn ACID in 24hrs" yet. If there is nothing in there about how to do what you described, I would really like to hear how that is done.

Hey Zombie - good point, academic discounts are great. I was just thinking that if all he is going to use it for drum tracks, he could get away with the Music version for even cheaper (And even cheaper still - places offer the academic discounts on ACID Music 3.0 also). Then again, just buying ACID Pro is probably a better investment - I ended up spending extra because I went with ACID Music to start with (primarily to use for drum tracks - sound familiar?) then after playing around with it for a few days, decided I needed to bump up to the pro version to take advantage of everything it could do.

Does software count as gear? If not, I am now an official software slut.

Sonar does the kind of loop stretching that ACID does. You can't import the ACID files, but you would open the loops in Sonar and create the project from there.

First of all...I bought the Acid 3.0...b4 I read any of your responses after Brad's first.... pretty cool, but all I want is to "rip off" someone else's drum beats...for inspiration. I like to do mostly classic/soft/out there rock, however, it seems that loop construction mostly lends itself to "club tracks"....you know...where i want to kick the cd player thinking its skipping?

RJT - can you import the the loops from the acid content cd into Sonar?

Spinsterwun (or anyone) - I could link cubase and acid...at least during the development process? Then, correct me if I'm wrong, I could save the acid as a .wav and import into cubase prior to mix down?

Also, last question...Brad? I haven't had time to look at all of the content on the cd, but, in your opinion, could I come up with some pretty convincing (acoustic) drum playing? It's the fills thing that I'm concerned with... I've listened to about 1,000 songs on Acid planet and was only impressed with maybe five.

Also, how difficult would it be to create your own library of loops? I have a roland kit, and could get some good sampled sounds. To me it (Acid) seems a helluva lot easier to program than midi. Especially since I tend to lose creative flair when bogged down with the computer tasks.

Sorry for the chattiness....any answers are appreciated.

Yadi said:
...Also, last question...Brad? I haven't had time to look at all of the content on the cd, but, in your opinion, could I come up with some pretty convincing (acoustic) drum playing? It's the fills thing that I'm concerned with... I've listened to about 1,000 songs on Acid planet and was only impressed with maybe five.

Also, how difficult would it be to create your own library of loops? I have a roland kit, and could get some good sampled sounds...

I personally think so. Sonic Foundry has some cool drum sample CD's. I have Drum Tools and like it for a lot of stuff. I also shop around on eBay for stuff. I found a drummer who makes his own acidized loops and sells them - pretty good and nice prices. Lemme know if you want me to give you his website (samples of the samples are available in mp3) I don't have his name with me right now.

I know it seems like it is mostly used for club tracks, but if it makes you feel any better, I am producing an indie artist's CD right now, and he is doing an old Jim Croce track - I am using ACID to add drums - it is working great. And it is not a Jim Croce dance remix! LOL.

As far as creating your own loops, I have only dabbled so far and it is easy. ACID Pro comes with Sound Forge XP 5, which is a nice little editor, and it has ACIDizing tools, so yes, you can make your own loops to your heart's content.

Steinberg also has VST drum sessions, which are pretty cool, but I find ACID easier to use. Not that the VST rex files are difficult or anything, I just like the user interface with ACID better for arranging. And the VST sessions have wav files in addition to the rex files, so I can just acidize those and use 'em if I like them (and I do like 'em!)

Lastly, I would like to recommend a book: Learn ACID 3.0 in 24 Hours - it's put out by SAMS. It is a great book - great tips and tricks.

Spinsterwun (or anyone) - I could link cubase and acid...at least during the development process? Then, correct me if I'm wrong, I could save the acid as a .wav and import into cubase prior to mix down?

If you sync Acid to Cubase you won't need to save the Acid tracks to WAV. files to import them into Cubase.

If you don't want to sync the programs together (Cubase=MASTER and Acid=SLAVE) then you would save your seperate Acid tracks (or mix them down to one track) as a WAV. file/s, then import them/it into Cubase.

could I come up with some pretty convincing (acoustic) drum playing?
You could surf the net for some "live" drum sounds or go to your local recording studio, and have a drummer play some beats for you. Then, you could save them as WAV. files on CD to use at home.

spin

Guys, thanks for the info.

Brad, I do agree that I can find some convincing loops. And compared to the VST drum sessions, it does seem a heck of lot easier/faster. If you don't mind, what is the website you had referred to (regarding the ebay guy)?

Spinsterwun, regarding the syncing: Ultimately, to keep everything inside the computer until I burn a cd.... when I make my final mixdown tracks/pair, which will be saved as a .wav for the burner........would I need to import the acid file into cubase so I can save one final .wav file for the burner? If I understand this, syncing is just timing the two different files from two different programs??

Sonar can read "acidized" loops directly without the use of ACID, it can change pitch and tempo as can acid. It can also do that to non-"acidized loops".... the difference between an acidized and nonacidized loop is that there is some information in the beginning of the loop which tells the program its original pitch and tempo. (you can add that info if you wish with sound forge and there used to be some free programs which did it as well) If you have sonar, you can read the loops right into the project. Then you could move the wav files to disk (to save) or simply save it as a Sonar "project" which means it also saves the audio portions of the project. Sonar, in addition to complete midi editing (lacking in Acid), gives you soft synths like Tassman etc. IMHO the effects in Sonar are also better than the ones in Acid (although if you bought Sound Forge as your editor, you'd get the best of both worlds including Accoustic Mirror).

Acid (which I have and use occasionally) is a great program. It imports wavs faster than Sonar and is pretty easy to figure out. Sonar is more complex, more expensive but is more of a "do it all" program.

Good luck!

spin i know you told me this before but i just cant get it to work

hey spin. i knwo you told me how to sync acid and my recorder but i dont know HOW to sync them or WHAT i should use.

if i can explain my setup you can probably help me (i will leave out some of the gear.)

xp60-->V.S. via midi. i press play on the vs and the xp 60 plays back. now i NEED the vs because thats how i get the xp60 stuff to the pc. xp (analog)-->to v.s. (digital)--> pc. i dont have analog ins on my sound card just analog outs and coaxi i/o and optical i/o. both the 60 and the VS are connected to a um 2 midi box with the 60 going into the IN on the midi box and teh vs going into the OUT on the box.

so THIS is what i want to do. i want to press PLAY in ACID and have my xp 60 start up and record the tracks (i would multitrack it) AND i want to press PLAY on the vs and have ACID play back in sync. all i need is the proper acid settings and im cool.

spin i want you to know that by helping me you are also helping the youth of america. thanx

CZAR

BRAD

Brad, I just bought (on impulse) the Eastwest PRO SAMPLES, vol. 5, drums disk. Its that guy from Journey (like I really care, but it is recorded well). Cost me $40 at Guitar Center. I distinctly asked the salesman "are there drum fills and breaks on the cd? Otherwise its useless, like the ACID content cd that came with Acid 3.0". His said yes....so I bought it.

Sure enough, I open it up and start listening to EVERY wav sample, and there are many...I would say a couple hundreds. All good beats with many variations....not too many "breaks" like using the ride cymbal. And only a handful (maybe three or four) fills. Furthermore, because of the multiple BPM rates, I'm lucky if I can find a match for one lousy fill and one beat.

Am I a moron, or is this the best that I can do? I need some pretty straight forward rock beats with at least a pallete of fills to choose from..... so my songs don't begin to sound like some trance mix alla DJ Yadi.

I may have wasted my money on the Acid idea and maybe stuck doing the drumming myself on the roland kit (midi)...but that gets really old fast.

How is that drum tools disk you have? Do you think it may have what I need?

Thanks! And how is that Jim Croce type tune working out?

Yeah, you know what, I have a few of those Eastwest PRO SAMPLE discs, and I am none too pleased with them. Good quality sounds, but they are lacking something...

Not to say that ACID loops are the best, but I have found them to be pretty useful. The Drum Tools disc is a good one, they also put out one called Drum Components by RADS that is okay, but is involves you having to build patterns and fills more than just having some laid out for you.

Unfortunately, at $30 to $40 bucks a pop, these discs can get to be expensive, especially when you get one and it doesn't do what you wanted it to.

That guy on ebay - I was mistaken - he doesn't actually record real drums - he is a real drummer that does all the programming. I am still impressed by the disc I got from him, though.

The rex files that wizoo makes for Cubase (VST Drum Sessions) have probably the best fills I have heard for sample discs. They are a little more expensive, and well, only work as rex files, but they rock pretty hard. I also find arranging them in Cubase to be a little more time consuming than arranging loops in ACID. I know this seems silly, but I am thinking about recording the rex files while they playing in Cubase and ACIDizing them so I can use them in ACID with the same flexibility I get with other drum loops.

The Jim Croce thing is coming along, slowly - I am happy with the drums, now I am working with vocal harmonies...

I happened into using ACID by accident a while back, thought it was fun - then I started reading about all of the features that the Pro version had, and I needed it. I have done some film scoring projects since then using nothing but ACID, and man, let me tell you, it has made my life a thousand times easier. I hope it ends up helping you do what you are trying to - I hope I didn't give you a bum steer - maybe your drum needs are more demanding than mine (I always made my bass player program drums back in the drum machine days - I was apt to just start a 4/4 beat and leave it there!) But having the flexibility of ACID has really helped me make better drum tracks (I think, anyway) at least I know it is easier...

Good luck.

Brad

Tell you what, Yadi, if you are willing to wait a little while (like until later tonight) I will throw together a little sample mp3 just using the Drum Tools disc with beats and fills, and post a link to the mp3 that you can then d/l and take a listen. How does that sound?

Brad, that sounds fantastic. I just fired an email off to Eastwest, telling them that I felt I was being ripped off. I now understand that the $40 CD that GC sells is not their "full version" which costs around $100. What a scam.... I'm still contemplating building my own acid library...heck, even if I rented the mics for a day and got a very proficient drumming friend of mine....coupled with my natural basement reverb....I might accomplish what I need. Let me know when you posted the MP3s and I'll be glad to repay you for the favor.

Thanks,

Geoff (yadi)

OK c.o.b. here we go...... ;)

so THIS is what i want to do. i want to press PLAY in ACID and have my xp 60 start up and record the tracks (i would multitrack it)

You'll need to make Acid the MASTER.
make the XP60 the SLAVE
(You'll need to find out whih MIDI controller the XP60 responds to [MTC or MIDI Clock])
In Acid 3.0 goto to your CLOCK (Big Time). Right click it. Tell it to Midi Time Code Outor Midi Clock Out.

Then goto OPTIONS then tell it to Generate Midi Time Code or Midi clock

On the XP60 press play (it will either say waiting for.... [MTC] or it will start playing [Midi Clock])

Arm your tracks in Acid.

Then press RECORD (in Acid).

VOILA....

so THIS is what i want to do. i want to press PLAY on the vs and have ACID play back in sync. all i need is the proper acid settings and im cool.

so THIS is what i want to do. i want to press PLAY on the vs and have ACID play back in sync. all i need is the proper acid settings and im cool.

Make the VS the MASTER and make ACID the SLAVE.

Setup the VS to transmit MTC.

In Acid right click on the BIG TIME CLOCK. check Midi Time Code IN. Goto OPTIONS check CHASE TO MIDI Time Code.

Hit play in Acid (it'll be waiting for the XP-60 to tell it to start playing).

Hit Start or Play on the VS.

VOILA... TRES MANIFIQUE. :D

;)

SPIN

Back