help...need quick answer (ACID)

Sorry this took so long Yadi!

Just a word of warning - I did this fast and without trying to make it sound correct, so forgive the fact that the fills aren't always coming in at correct intervals (It gets difficult navigating 91 tracks in ACID!) and some of the fills may not fit the patterns very well. Oops.

This is a 3 minute demo of some of the 4/4 loops and fills available on the Drum Tools loop CD. There is more stuff on the disc, but I was just trying to give you an idea of what is on the disc. This all takes place at 120 bpm, sorry for the monotony.

It is 3.5mb.

Click here for mp3 Drum Tools demo

I'm downloading now..... 91 tracks...lol..you kill me...I can't even deal with one. How do you find navigating the cd? I mean...is apparent with the file labling that a particular file is a fill versus beat? Also, with this cd, are there separated hits, in case you want to construct a unique fill? If so, how difficult is it to construct the fill?

Once I get comfortable, if you want, I'll be glad to provide you with an mp3 of my east west cd.

Yeah, the CD also has one shots, so you can build patterns and fills yourself - also, the chopper tool in ACID is good for making fills out of existing fills or one shots.
It also has seperate HH and ride patterns that you can lay over existing loops if you want.

All of the loops and fills on this mp3 are stock - I did nothing to them effect wise or chopper wise - I did split some if they were 2 beat or 1 beat fills, but that is all.

It has loops and fills for 4/4, 6/8 and a category they call "Blues" with standard blues shuffle type loops.

Brad

Brad, I just gave it a listen and I think you've made another sale. Your cd obviously has many fills and opportunities to "mix things up" pattern wise. One stupid question...the kick/snare pattern appeared to be consistent all the way through, ya know, like 4/4 kick // snare // kick // snare..etc.... There are other "beats on the cd right?

Well, like I said, it has the 6/8 stuff and the blues shuffle stuff, but like in that 4/4 stuff, if you want B/S/BB/S kind of stuff, you have to use a bass drum one shot and add it where you desire - sounds like a pain in the ass, but it really isn't.

They just leave it kind of generic to save space on the disc I guess, and because it is pretty easy to customize -

That ebay guy (I swear, someday I will find his name and post it here!) he does his sample CD's with every bass snare pattern I can think of, and then some.

Also, another Loops for ACID CD that would help you with that is the RADS Drum Components CD - they have the differing B/S patterns alone - and seperate HH/ride pattern to lay over. That might be a good one to pick up too, if you can afford to do so.

That would be my suggestion, if you can, pick up both loops CDs - Drum Tools and RADS Drum Components.

Brad

And sorry, Yadi, spending money is just one of those nasty side effects from hanging around these boards. Don't fight it! EMBRACE IT! LET THE WARMTH ENVELOP YOU!!

Gear sluts unite!!!:cool:

Check out DRUM SUGAR...

Great posts here - and thanks for the tip on the VS/XP60 set up, too!

1st, I wanted to respond to the comment that Acid is limited to just making club tracks. Not so: It only "seems" like Acid is good for club tracks, dance and techno because of the vast amount of loops and loopers out there - but I've used it for Bluegrass, Folk, Rock and Blues with good results. I feel like Acid is a great tool in the right hands. Once you get comfortable working with it, there really is no limit to the styles of music you can produce with it.

There are some great drum loop sets out there but none really cover all the bases well (to my knowledge.)

My favorite Sonic Foundry drum loops are:

1.) DRUM TOOLS
2.) RADS
3.) DRUM SUGAR (Sigi Baldrusson)

The DRUM SUGAR set is probably the most complete since it includes lots of variations and fills. RADS is good too but requires lots of tweaking for variation. Drum Tools is easy to use but lacks fills and variations in all styles.

There are also some really good drum loops in some collections from eLab (Big Fish Audio) like Nu Groove RnB and X Files of Hip Hop if you're looking for those kind of stylized beats.

Z
Loop Slut
Software Slut
Gear Slut
Let's face it... I'm just a slut...

Yadi,

Drum tools by Sonic Foundry is a great CD to pick up for the more acoustic drum sounds. I have a few others, but it has the most useful snares, kicks, and loops etc.

Fangar

I bought drum tools and it is much more complete than that East West Pro Samples cd. It certainly has many more fills and one-hitters. Now I have to learn how to chop so I can use the one hitters. There are some really good beats that make it so easy to lay down some good sounding tracks...I just wish there was a simpler method of "programming". I have this suspicion that the main parts of the songs will sound great but it will be less convincing when any changes/fills/turnarounds/etc are implemented. Kinda like a human drum machine (I hope not).

Have you ever checked out Acid Planet (radio) where people post their work? Some of the stuff sounds ridiculous, like it is being done by non-musician types with gear. When I first heard this, I was given a bad impression of Acid. Brad, and a few others here, changed my mind/attitude. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I have been thinking of migrating from Cubasis (came free) to SONAR. I haven't been too happy with the layout and design of Cubase. Anyway, would being able to import acid files into SONAR be of any benefit?

Yadi

Man, did you download the latest 8-pack from Acid Planet and listen to the song? The worst I've yet heard. Bassline has no reasonable harmonic relationship with the rest of the loops.

AlChuck said:
Man, did you download the latest 8-pack from Acid Planet and listen to the song? The worst I've yet heard. Bassline has no reasonable harmonic relationship with the rest of the loops.

Hey guys,

I will check it out. I have all but given up on getting any useful sounds from Acid Planet. I think that the major Acid market comes from the Techno Club DJ scene. Many guys just use a laptop now days with a power amp and some nice speakers. Then they mix all of their stuff and are ready to go. But you're right, not too much out their for one that likes a traditional sound.

If you like good sound effects and stuff, I have Bill Laswell's Samples and Universal Groove Elements. Two pretty useable Cd's as well.

Fangar.

no reasonable harmonic relationship

...sounds like a winner of a song title. Time for some Acid Jazz in Acid.

Also, its gets funnier: not only do most of the posts sound "super novice", but the critique responses are anything but...stupid shit like "you da' man....great guitar...by the way, listen to my posts". Not anything near the constructive critique you would receive in HR.

Back