HELP!!! My nuts are sticking!!!

King Elvis

Now that I have gotten your attention...
I have a guitar that a couple of the strings are getting hung up in the nut. Ill tune it, do a bend and the string sticks thus sending it out of tune. Any suggestions on what I can use on the nut to get this to stop happening??

The slots may need to be widened very slightly too. A good nut doesn't need any graphite if its well made. Either stop by your local luthier or get a couple nut files from Stew-mac and do it yourself. If the strings are sticking it means that the slots are too narrow and/or the bottom part of the slot is rough.

dude!

i don't know that you should have aired out your personal problems on a public forum.........

:D

Pencil lead is a good temporary solution. I would not suggest widening the slots yourself, even if you get the right files. You can damage the slots if you are not careful. Additionally, the files will cost more than getting it done right by an expert in the first place.

Do not use WD-40 as it will leave a residue which is quite unpleasant, and can damage the finish on the guitar.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back