Help me pimp (repaint) my mixers

LToro

Hey I am very happy with the way my mixers sound (2) but I am
Not happy how they look. They have a 90's gray mackie look to them.
So I am thinking If I repaint the mixer perhaps add wood panels :) I could have a nice sounding and great looking mixer! Nothing wrong with trying to improve the way machines look, no?
The only problem I foresee is the titles, brand and serial in the mixer. How can I save them? I don't know if I can make stencils this small. Please help me pimp my mixer!

Stencils are going to be the problem. Probably not worth the effort because it won't make the thing sound better.

Ja! But the mixers already sound great! Ramsa WRS 4412 and Sony MXP S390. I track with the Ramsa Panasonic. And mix (summing) with the Sony MCi. No complaints. Well I guess no one really knows how to pimp gear around here. :(

How are you going to stencil in all the little markings around each knob/fader/button...???
That stuff is screened on by an automated assembly line process....and you want to do it with stencils...?

Put a lava lamp on top of each mixer....that will distract you from looking at the gray paint.
Maybe you can do something with maroon crushed velvet and some fuzzy dice. ;)

LOL. Maybe its just we have different ideas of what pimping our console are?

Now if you are talking boosting the supply rails to +/-25 volts, or swapping in some sweet Burr-Brown OP-amps...now we are pimping! :cool:

Last edited:
How are you going to stencil in all the little markings around each knob/fader/button...???
That stuff is screened on by an automated assembly line process....and you want to do it with stencils...?

That's exactly my question! how?

LOL. Maybe its just we have different ideas of what pimping our console are?

Now if you are talking boosting the supply rails to +/-25 volts, or swapping in some sweet Burr-Brown OP-amps...now we are pimping! :cool:

Hey mdainsd thanks for the tips, but I am very happy with the sound, noise floor, and electrical behavior of these mixers.
I compare them with my pops "high end" preamps I could not tell them a part, I never can..

Stencils are going to be the problem. Probably not worth the effort because it won't make the thing sound better.

But they could LOOk better. What's wrong with that? People pimp cars, houses, clothes you name it! Any other ideas iq616

I've got a couple of Roland SEQ-331's that the previous owner felt the need to repaint. I imagine it had a few scratches and so he decided to freshen it up a bit with a new coat of black paint. Well first of all, he painted over some of the markings under the buttons then on the second unit decided to avoiding repainting near (by about half an inch) any buttons, markings and faders. The paint was poorly applied (some sections have a lot thicker coating of paint), some of the new paint has come off because he didn't sand and worst of all is that he used oil based paint :facepalm: so it looks nothing like the original paint job and it never really dried properly since it's still a bit sticky. Lucky those EQ's sound good so it doesn't bother me so much that I would get rid of them.

Clearly the previous owner had some free time on his hands - if you're an amateur then consider that your finish will probably not look anywhere as good as the original paint.

The paint was poorly applied (some sections have a lot thicker coating of paint) if you're an amateur then consider that your finish will probably not look anywhere as good as the original paint.

I am not an amateur. I can paint. I just need help replacing the letters once I paint the mixer. Perhaps laser cut metal letters? But how small can the letters be cut?

That's exactly my question! how?

Yeah....but that's the point....you're never going to do the markings/lettering as good/exact as the original that was screened on by machine (possible computerized process)...so in the end it will look worse than what you now have, but it will be "pimped".
So if that works for you....go for it. :)

It's not like we all know the answer and just don't want to tell you.....

My two cents;

Just add the wood trim sides to start with and see if that dresses them up well enough to satisfy your pimp urge.

As everyone has stated, redoing the lettering and pot marking positions would be a major pain in the ass to replicate to the original silk screening unless you've got a lot of spare time to dedicate to attempting it.

Also, keep in mind if you do attempt it and screw up, the resale value of the mixers will drop to zero. If that doesn't bother you, go for it!

Cheers! :)

Yeah....but that's the point....you're never going to do the markings/lettering as good/exact as the original that was screened on by machine (possible computerized process)...so in the end it will look worse than what you now have, but it will be "pimped".
So if that works for you....go for it. :)

It's not like we all know the answer and just don't want to tell you.....

Maybe I can try to minimize the markings. And of course I know ya'll trying to help. You guys have been of great help to us for a long time. I am forever greatful Miroslav.

My two cents;

Just add the wood trim sides to start with and see if that dresses them up well enough to satisfy your pimp urge.

As everyone has stated, redoing the lettering and pot marking positions would be a major pain in the ass to replicate to the original silk screening unless you've got a lot of spare time to dedicate to attempting it.

Also, keep in mind if you do attempt it and screw up, the resale value of the mixers will drop to zero. If that doesn't bother you, go for it!

Cheers! :)

Ok thanks Ghost!

Back