help me find something

Erland

Sorry for posting in the Clinic section but I know you may be able to help, cos your great!

I am flying back to the UK from Peru tomorow and arrive in Atlanta for 10 hours wait. I can leave the airport and I want to go in search of a pro gear shop so I can get a top end mic. Its really much much cheaper than the Uk and this my opportunity...yes!!

So can anyone help me find a shop in Atlanta? It will also be Sunday, so a real challenge.

all the best

Erland

Ps. Had a wicked time chaps and I am very glad you liked the CD. Home sweet home, here I come!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1375/

Hey, Erland,

I did a quick search on yahoo, and here are some of the results:

(407) 865-5784 info@atlanticproaudio.com

(301)-662-8822 sales@makenmusicmd.com (closed on Sundays..)

Your best bet is probably this one:

Guitar Center Atlanta
1485 Northeast Expressway
Atlanta, GA 30329
Store Hours:
M-F: 10-9, Sat: 10-8, Sun: 12-6

I hope they are close to the airport cuz taking taxi can get expensive sometimes. If non of these work out, you can always get someone in the states to order one online and ship it to you as a gift, no tax charged :)(I did that once for someone in Canada before)

Which mic are you planning to get?

Al

thats great

Perfect Al. I am at Lima airport but I called the shop and they will be open. They were real friendly and have every mic brand I can think of they also said they were the lowest price in the US.

So the challenge is to leave the Airport in Atlanta when I arrive in search of them, hopefully the Taxi wont cost more than the money I would save. It sure will be fun though.

Not sure what mic exactly, you will probably laugh when I say the Berhinger b2 pro. but I have been using a 23 buck dynamic so Its bound to be a huge step up and it will be perfect for recording accoustic and vocal.

All the best and thanks

Erland

Hi mate, check out the studio projects mics if they have them. Perhaps a c1 or better a c3 if you have more to spend. Another idea would be the red5audio stuff. you could get one of their rv8 or rv10 ld condensors when you get back, and they are based in Scotland :) here's their site. www.red5audio.com the rv8 is £100 and the rv 10 is £150. I have their rv15 and a pair of rv4s and they are great. Well worth the cash.

Good to read ya,

Ian........

probably too late now...

Guitar Center (Rhythm City) is just off I-85 North of Altanta, about 25 minutes from the Airport. You'll need to take I-85 North, through Atlanta and then about 10 minutes on the North side. Don't let the cabbie get on I-285. Stay on I-85. Hartsfield (Atlanta's Airport) is on I-85 South of Atlanta. Sorry but I don't recall the exit number.

Sonixx said:
probably too late now...

Guitar Center (Rhythm City) is just off I-85 North of Altanta, about 25 minutes from the Airport. You'll need to take I-85 North, through Atlanta and then about 10 minutes on the North side. Don't let the cabbie get on I-285. Stay on I-85. Hartsfield (Atlanta's Airport) is on I-85 South of Atlanta. Sorry but I don't recall the exit number.

You'll need to get off of 85 at the North Druid Hills exit if my memory is correct.(thats if you're going north on 85 of course)

If you're taking a cab,you dont need any of these directions anyway.LOL

Re: thats great

Erland said:

Not sure what mic exactly, you will probably laugh when I say the Berhinger b2 pro. but I have been using a 23 buck dynamic so Its bound to be a huge step up and it will be perfect for recording accoustic and vocal.

Guitar Center(Musicians Friend)is selling that mic for $149.99 online today.Im not sure what the price is in-store.

Sonixx said:
probably too late now...

Guitar Center (Rhythm City)

I miss Rhythm City.That place delivered me from paying list price from the local mom and pop robbers,when I was a teenager,back in the 80's.

I went to the grand opening of Guitar Center and what a let down that was.The rhythm city logo may still be attached to GC(The Rhythm City sign was not there at the grand opening),but it's not the same place.The Rhythm City sales persons would go the extra mile to satisfy you.I had a couple of guys that I bought from exclusively......dont have have any of those personal relationships with the GC people.

Back in Britain

Oh yes, back home at last.

In Atlanta we left the airport, took the train up North and hopped off. There it was, the Guitar Center shop, yup found it and only spent 1.75.

We also just had to have a classic American breakfast in a Diner, nice.

Anyway, so they were expecting me in the shop because I had called from Lima and they were real nice, made me feel very welcome to the USA. They excitedly took me over to the mics but they didnt have that much really. They had a lot of Mics for over 500 dollars and three for 200.

I said I would like a Studio Project C1 and I reeled off a few other names. "I will be recording accoustic guitar, percussion and vocal and want to buy a condensor for under 200".

Now the chap I was dealing with started having and argument with his collegue about the best microphones and what they had used. They got very aggressive and competitive and started telling me what I had to buy. They assumed I knew nothing and they loved to talk about themselves, it was safe to say that a microphone seller does know a little more than I, but the conclusion was that they wanted me to leave with a Shure sm58. They said the dynamic would beat every condensor for under 200. I dissapointedly left the shop with the 200 dollars I had entered with. Ahh well, it was fun tracking it down.

Very excited to be home.

Thanks again

Erland

Geez... what a load of crap. Sorry you had to go through that man. Unfortunately, with GC, it's hit or miss... sometimes you'll find a really cool guy to get deals from, and sometimes they're just a bunch of worthless dolts.

Actually, from my experience, GC isn't the best place for the "bargain" mic range. They don't really carry any of the well-known cheaper models of LD's, like the C-1 or the V67 or any of those... I just wish I had thought of that before we recommended that you go all the way out there. :(

WATYF

arrrrrgh, now i feel bad for mentioning guitar center in the first place...seriously, you would make some killer recordings if you had found a C1. I wonder if Alan would ship a mic abroad and label it as a gift. Then you would be able to get a C1 for not much more than $200

Al

Erland,
Good to see you made it back safe and sound. Hope the trip was great. I am sure it was.

Also good to see you made it around our fair city. I am glad you took MARTA and not a cab as they rape you here. Plus you got a good breakfast. :D

Sorry to hear about your GC experience but it does not surprise me. The GC's here have been pretty shoddy for me as well. I order what I can from the internet. Hopefully you can get your mic from the internet.

Hope all is well.

Great

Lol. Not a worry at all. I had a wicked breakfast! Cheers guys.

I am in London I have got a choice of these mics. What do you think, I will by one from this list.

MXL v67G (green and gold)
MXL 990

AKG C3000B
AKG C2000B
2 AKG C1000

Studio Projects C1

Rode NT1000
Rode NT1A

Actually this is the wrong place to post. Could you reply in the mic thread?

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1375/

Erland

Back