[help]M-Audio M-Track 2x2 seems to not communicate with PC + Audacity troubles

nickyoung

Edit: If there is a thread addressing these types of issues, would anyone mind linking it to me

First post. Couldn't find a thread that specifically dealt with audio interface issues, but I'm still also getting the hang of the forum.

I picked up an aston origin mic and an M-Audio M-Track 2x2 interface, I installed the drivers for the interface, and now have the microphone as an option in my list of recording devices, however I cannot record with it. I look at the clip range on the box itself as I tap the mic and it goes in the red (so that means none of the equipment should be faulty), all the while on my PC it is showing it as silence.
That may be the stem of my next issue as well: I seem not to be able to even configure it in audacity, at the moment I can only play tracks without it being static through the Windows wasapi audio host -- but when I try to record with the aston mic under that audio host I get an error telling me to change audio hosts. None of the audio hosts I have tried actually ended with me recording something tangible or audible, just complete silence or some sort of strange error about auto latency adjustment, leaving me in the dust when it comes to anything record related

My main goal at least as of now is relatively simple, I just need to be able to record in audacity. I get a ton of errors trying to record with all this new equipment, and unfortunately I am pretty much a complete beginner so I honestly have no idea how to overcome these hurdles. This fool took all the god damn equipment to best buy to see if they could help and they just told me that they don't know what's wrong. The funny thing is, it's probably a simple fix.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm running out of space with the amount of recordings I have done on my phone for my music. I would like to get this shit set up pretty soon, It's my passion, but these technical difficulties are like uppercuts to my ribs.

Last edited:
I suspect the drivers you downloaded for the interface are ASIO - Audacity does not work with asio. Hopefully someone will have a work around for you. How about downloading a different DAW? Reaper is free to download the full version, pay $60 register only after you decide to keep it.

The image below shows a Tascam interface in Audacity. Does your M-Audio show in these selectable boxes and if not can you select it by dropping open the box?

Attachments

• audacity.jpg
    audacity.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 20
I have an M Track and notice that you say you selected Microphone as the source.

My system identifies the interface as "M Audio Quad USB driver" and doesn't mention microphone.

It might be worth checking in Windows Audio that the M Track has been detected and set to the default source. If that part is okay, perhaps reinstalling the ASIO driver might help.

Make sure you have your input device turned on BEFORE you open Audacity. If you turn it on after Audacity is already opened, it will not recognize your device. As mentioned above, Audacity can not read the ASIO file. The only reason I have Audacity installed is to help others with ACX work who have no other option than to use it.

Audacity will recognize my Tascam 16x8 as well as my Alesis 8 Channel USB and ATR 2100 USB mics. However, it will only record one channel at a time. Your device is a two track Interface and as suggested above, you may want to look into Reaper.

Last edited:
Back