Help, I need some better sounds/voices....

Reefer Franklin

I have an MPC1000 with EXM128 & HDM-10 upgrades, and a Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-500, my problem is this, the Yamaha DGX has horribly cheesy in-store demo style sounds on it, albeit the keyboard itself is amazing, it has 88 full-sized half-weighted piano keys that feel great to play.

Now I don't have much, at all, of a budget and I'm into hardware so I'm looking for some sort of MIDI Module I'd imagine, what hardware joints have amazing sounds/patches/voices/instruments I could play on my DGX, that won't have me taking out a second mortgage?

BTW, I produce mostly sample-based hip-hop, but I like a very diverse sound palette, including some sounds from other genres that hip-hop producers aren't touching too much, yet.

Used Moog Slim Phatty for analog monophonic basses and leads.

Maybe look into a used Roland xv-5050 or 5080 for sampled sounds.

I would so much like to get the Slim Phatty, That really looks like one really nice piece of hardware.

Does it HAVE to be a hardware module?

Midi to your computer and use software.
You can find incredible sounds from free to reasonable price.

I would so much like to get the Slim Phatty, That really looks like one really nice piece of hardware.

It also very much lives up to the name "slim" in that sure, it's a Moog, but it's incredibly "slim" on modulation source/routing options and having basically four main knobs in which you have to select each parameter to adjust from buttons and lots of menu diving and need several Moogfoogers to really make it sing. For not much more you can get the Sub Phatty and have many more performance and programming options, but then again, a two octave cheap keybed.

How about the Waldorf Blofeld module, since you have a nice controller already? You can find them used for less than a Slim Phatty and have a very programmable synth with 1000 starting points and the editing matrix is very logically laid out?

Back