help getting keyboard working in computer

kazall

Hello,

I have a casio keyboard that I am trying to use in my recording program. I would like to learn how to use it as a midi keyboard to hear the recording program's sounds when I play. I would also like to learn how to record the keyboard sounds on tracks as well. Currently I know how to do neither. Can someone talk me through this please.

Asus laptop
Casio wk 200 keyboard
audiogram 6 interface
cubase 5

It should come up as a MIDI device in Cubase.

In Cubase; Devices>Device Setup...>click the '+' sign at the top left. Select your device there.

I'm no guru by any means, and I may have missed something here, but that is the starting point. The Cubase manual should give details. :)

It should come up as a MIDI device in Cubase.

In Cubase; Devices>Device Setup...>click the '+' sign at the top left. Select your device there.

I'm no guru by any means, and I may have missed something here, but that is the starting point. The Cubase manual should give details. :)

score, thank you Jimmy

hey jimmy, are you around? I have a questions about something really random but it's driving me nuts. In cubase, when I'm in the midi editor or drum editor window, .... in the top left, on top of the count bar pane there is a box / tag that says whatever effect i'm using, in this case it says "Kontakt Player 02"... and it is in the way of clicking on the bar pane when i want to back the audio up... i don't know if that makes any sense and it is really random... but it slows down my work progress constantly and it's maddening... like a tale tale heart kind of thing....

If I'm understanding correctly, you should be able to just drag the Drum Editor out of the way. Or just use the Transport panel to rewind. :)

sorry jimmy, it's haunting me. If you have a drum track then go to - Midi - Open drum editor

Then in the drum editor window there are the instruments listed on the left colum going down. There is the Count bar at the top. To the very left of the count bar, it is a small box that says what effect you are using. How can I get rid of that? It's in the way of me clicking on the bar when I want to rewind the song. My habits have are that i don't use the transport panel :/

You mean the name tags at the start and end of the events?

This thing?

Attachments

• This thing..PNG
    This thing..PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 13
Not that I know of. You can click above it tho. What version of Cubase you have? Does it look just like my pic?

I use the CMC TP transport controller, so never noticed an issue, but it seems to work fine clicking above the event name. Are you using a small monitor?

Not that I know of. You can click above it tho. What version of Cubase you have? Does it look just like my pic?

I use the CMC TP transport controller, so never noticed an issue, but it seems to work fine clicking above the event name. Are you using a small monitor?

yeah i'm on a laptop :/ Oh well, i guess i need to start using that transport. Hey can i ask you to help with another issue i'm having? I usually just record guitar and bass, but i'm doing a song where i'm using a lot of vst instrument tracks. I have five tracks going and the feedback or delay or something is making it crack and pop and will barely play. Any way around this? I have a pretty strong computer, it's an Asus laptop, 12gigs.. ram shouldn't be a problem

Do you have a full version of Cubase? If so, you can freeze the tracks (snowflake looking icon in Inspector window). That or export your VST tracks as audio, then disable the VST tracks, until you are done recording live stuff. After that you can raise your buffer size, and edit the vst's. Also, if you are recording to the same hard drive as Cubase/vsti's are on, you will eat up resources quickly, and have bottlenecks reading and writing from the drive.

Do you have a full version of Cubase? If so, you can freeze the tracks (snowflake looking icon in Inspector window). That or export your VST tracks as audio, then disable the VST tracks, until you are done recording live stuff. After that you can raise your buffer size, and edit the vst's. Also, if you are recording to the same hard drive as Cubase/vsti's are on, you will eat up resources quickly, and have bottlenecks reading and writing from the drive.
Ur amazing Jimmy. Thank you.

Back