Help! Export/Mixdown to WAV, Dithering Issue?

joswil44

Hi

I recording some songs in 48K 24 bit in Nuendo 2.2.

I attempted to Export a song to Mixdown as a WAV file 16 bit at 48K and the WAV file ends up sounding slower like its 44.1K.

So then I tryed again and it did the same thing.

So I switched it to 44K and it ended up sounding 44.1K.

So I switched it to 64K and it still sounded like 44.1K.

For some reason anything I Export my mixdown to ends up at 44.1K speed.

What gives?

It seems like Nuendo 2 is doing this because it is the software that is mixing it down.

I have never had this problem until I recorded in 48K mode.

I normally have my Nuendo/RME 96K 8 I/O converters set to 44.1K because it seemed like I wouldnt notice much difference in quality.

But this time I tryed 48K just for the hell of it.

Didnt have any issues until Exporting the Audio Mixdown to WAV.

Anyone experienced this?

I am basically stuck not being able to Export music to create a CD without it playing at the wrong speed.

Seems like Nuendo 2 is ignoring what I am telling it to Export at.

Help!

To make an audio CD, the exported file must be 16-bit with a 44.1k sample rate. There is no benefit to recording at 48k unless you are planning on using the music for a DVD, TV, or film.

After you export it, are you closing your Cubase? Is your sampling rate on the computer changing back?

If you save a 48k file, and your sampling rate that its playing at is 44.1k, then it will sound slow. Make sure your playback system is playing it at the 48k if its a 48k file.

For me, I usually record 24/48, mix at 24/48, and then master at 24/44.1, then save the final copy to 16/44.1.

RezN8 said:
That's not true.

You're right. It's an opinion, not fact. But, I hold with my beliefs, and we hardly need another discussion of sample rates on this site.

Alright, so here's what I have found.....

My Nuendo Project is set to 44.1Khz in the Software even though my Converters were recording at 48Khz.

The only reason it sounds normal when I play it back is because the audio goes back through my converters still set to 48Khz to my mixer and monitors.

So when I export it doesnt go through the converter and the software is set to 44.1Khz which makes it sound slow since it was recorded with the converter set to 48Khz.

Does anyone know how to change the Nuendo Project setting from 44.1Khz to 48KHz?

I remember in Nuendo 1.6 I could just click on the part of the project screen where the sample rate was displayed and it would let me change it.

Anyone familiar with Nuendo 2?

scrubs said:
You're right. It's an opinion, not fact. But, I hold with my beliefs, and we hardly need another discussion of sample rates on this site.

Now that's true - we definitely DON'T need another sample rate debate.

Sorry, what I meant to say was "I disagree" with you. Cheers, Rez

NYMorningstar- there are other instances where you might "need" to record at 48k. One for instance would be related to clock sync with certain devices (i.e.- SPDIF).

Joswil44- does Nuendo 2 have a "Project Set Up" like Cubase does?

Rez

RezN8 said:
Now that's true - we definitely DON'T need another sample rate debate.

Sorry, what I meant to say was "I disagree" with you. Cheers, Rez

NYMorningstar- there are other instances where you might "need" to record at 48k. One for instance would be related to clock sync with certain devices (i.e.- SPDIF).

Joswil44- does Nuendo 2 have a "Project Set Up" like Cubase does?

Rez

Rez - I am gathering that it is supposed to from the Nuendo Forum but I havent found one yet.

I remember Nuendo 1.6 had one and I could change the rate and my song would change speed.

Basically I have figured out my problem, I just need to see if I can change my Nuendo Project to 48Khz because right now the data is 48K but the Project is 44.1. The only reason it sounds normal to me is because its being played back through my converter outputs at 48K again.

Someone esle pointed me to a program that changes the header file.

Goldwave.com has a program that allows me to play the song back at 48Khz and then resave as a WAV at the correct speed.

I will have to dig through my Nuendo 2 manual and look for Project Setup.

Thanks.

NL5 said:
You can always call Stienberg - they have excellent customer support - especially for Nuendo users.

WTF?! Thats discrimination!!! They'd better treat me ESPECIALLY well should I ever need to call them on Cubase! :mad:

:D

Back