Help choosing mixer for price!

RueMorgueRecord

hey guys, currently i run protools 8 and use when needed an old analog studiomaster diamond 12-2 mixer for drums. i found a deal locally on a behringer eurodesk 16 channel or 24, dunno it was sp2442 or something but i can get it for a mere 200 cash. i also am watching and can get a few others depending on what they get up to on ebay. i kind of need 12+ channels and am torn between bidding on soundcraft m8 or whatever or buying this behr. i read the craft has way better pres, but it doesnt offer what i need for channels, so the behr is on top there, but then the craft has spdif out which is beneficial for protools use in my understanding. so i just need to know if i should sacrifice the number of channels on the craft if i can get for same price as the behr, or if i should go for the moderate behr with channels i need since i got them down in price. please help me asap! bidding is up on soundcraft tommorrow and i can get behr monday! thanks in advance guys.

in my humble opinion i think you should go with the behringer. if go with the M8 i think you might end up pinching your self later for the inconvenience of being short on channels. if your worried about the quality of the pres just remember you could always upgrade to better outboard pres later.

this is just my own opinion.... : /

Try to find a used soundcraft or Mackie...Behringer is the worst mixer you can buy...steer clear of Phonic too.

This is just not true, and a sweeping general statement like this does not help the OP.

There are many budget brands out there: Behringer, Phonic, Alto and so on. They're mass produced very cheaply in China. Quality control doesn't appear to be as good as it should be, and the consequence is that some units have flaws. However, this is also the case with Mackie and Soundcraft. An aquaintance of mine is totally dissatisified with his Mackie, which has misbehaved continually since he bought it. That doesn't make Mackie a bad brand.

Budget mixers are what they are . . . you should not expect too much from them. On the other hand, in the case of Behringer, you get excellent value for money. You get a high degree of functionality, and for the most part, reasonable quality.

Having said that, probability would suggest, that for an item on eBay, you're prospects are better with the Soundcraft. You need to weigh up known functionality with unknown performance from a used item

Ive used a few of the behringers 8 - 16 tracks and they've been great...clean and quiet and even the EQ's have been half decent...

Haven't used them as mic pre-amps mind you but more because I didnt need to than because I wouldnt

Behringer

probably going with the behringer since the ebay soundcraft unit will be at least the same price and i will ony get 8 channel. Judging from my last project i need at least 12 channels to do stuff again that way . and i have to say getting the 24 full eurodesk channels is my best option if the behr is all good when i test it. if i cant get what i need from its pres than i will have to look into buying into others which i plan anyway. and i dont have anything lined up till i finish out this cd so i have time to play with it before it has to be put into action. thanks for the help, and i am finding despite smack thats talked, it really boils down to opinion, what price range you are working in, and if you find a properly made unit.

This is just not true, and a sweeping general statement like this does not help the OP.

Any avoidance of products that have as high as a defect rate as those will help any Newbie...you get what you pay for.

You can go on Craigs list and pawn shops and actually test out the stuff if you are freaked out on Ebay...if you do go that route be sure he has a high seller rating.

[

RueMorgueRecord: ... I bought a Behringer desk 2442fx 5 years ago and it work fine sounded great the whole time and still works (headphone out put slightly dodge but still useable).. It was £160 for 12 pre's and two stereo channels, it is a rip off of a mackie desk, I used the original mackie and I prefer the Behringer!! A lot of thought has gone into this mixer to make it sound good and to make it very practical and useful, the routing is second to none!! Its got lights on the mute buttons so in the dark you know if channels are muted or not (mackie didn't have this and the routing was very bad).....
To be honest I would recommend the new series of Behringer mixers called Xeyx. They have updated pre's and eq's and fx and have usb out put... The new pre's sound very good and are better than the old ones I've got on the UB range (weakest part of my mixer but still very usable). The Xenyx pre's are actually very nice they seemed to have NO noise!?!?! Where as the IMP ones I have do have noise when turned up full...

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/2442FX.aspx

These new Xeny ones are very solid and look great! Very cheap too they are win win... Don't listen to people man go in a shop listen to a Behringer and make up your own mind....
Cool good luck bro...

Last edited:
Yamaha

Yea yamaha I would trust... But you could save money with Behringer up to you bro go check them both out in the shop and make up your mind...

What a surprise lol!! You are a one note pony mate you don't know what you are on about at all I feel sorry for you lol!!!

RueMorgueRecord: Dude Darrin is very small minded don't listen to him... I bought a Behringer desk 2442fx 5 years ago and it work fine sounded great the whole time and still works (headphone out put slightly dodge but still useable).. It was £160 for 12 pre's and two stereo channels, it is a rip off of a mackie desk, I used the original mackie and I prefer the Behringer!! A lot of thought has gone into this mixer to make it sound good and to make it very practical and useful, the routing is second to none!! Its got lights on the mute buttons so in the dark you know if channels are muted or not (mackie didn't have this and the routing was very bad).....
To be honest I would recommend the new series of Behringer mixers called Xeyx. They have updated pre's and eq's and fx and have usb out put... The new pre's sound very good and are better than the old ones I've got on the UB range (weakest part of my mixer but still very usable). The Xenyx pre's are actually very nice they seemed to have NO noise!?!?! Where as the IMP ones I have do have noise when turned up full...

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/2442FX.aspx

These new Xeny ones are very solid and look great! Very cheap too they are win win... Don't listen to people man go in a shop listen to a Behringer and make up your own mind....
Cool good luck bro...

What are you...a Shill for Behringer?...or do you not have a life and have to follow me arround the board trying promote cheap chinese trash:rolleyes:...Jesus why dont you just go away if you are going to try to get all the newbies to buy Mixers and Microphones that are just going to die in less than 6 months...there is a reason why you dont garner any good rep arround here and it has to do with your credibility.

i have a mx2642a that i treated well, and used lightly, and it's completely stuffed.

loads of the pots are noise,
most of the faders are noisy.
moving the master fader causes the left output to drop out.
phantom power only works when it wants.
some of the gains have no effect unless you turn the unit off and on several times.
the preamps are very noisy,,,,in my opinion.

i'll not go on, but considering the list of gear that i've build up over a few years, and the fact that the behringer is literally the only unit that gave me trouble,,,,

i can only assume that they are a great company, with great products, and i got a one off unit that didn't meet the standard......:confused:

seriously..it might just be an opinion, but their mixers suck ass.

have to admit though, the routing did impress me...which is why i still use what little works of it as a headphone mixer.

Its like the Behringer Flu lol

I have two berry mixers...clean, quiet, and a few years old..

I also have plenty of non berry gear...clean, quiet, and a few years old..

Ive had problems with two pieces of M-Audio gear but I do not think there gear is crap...I just think I was unlucky...damn in my time Ive had problems with NAD, Dual, Marantz...all expensive kit (for me)..

Now Im sure some pice of Berry gear at some point is going to give me crap...law of averages and the fact it's cheap doesnt help...but just because its made in China doesnt mean its going to be crap...

This is exactly the same that Japan and Korea went through...their build quality improved...what was true five, ten, fifteen years ago is not true now..

perhaps your right..i can't speak for any of their new gear...

personally, i wont be going out of my way to find out about it,, but i can't slate it either....

i shoulda said older behringer mixers suck ass :D

What are you...a Shill for Behringer?...or do you not have a life and have to follow me arround the board trying promote cheap chinese trash:rolleyes:...Jesus why dont you just go away if you are going to try to get all the newbies to buy Mixers and Microphones that are just going to die in less than 6 months...there is a reason why you dont garner any good rep arround here and it has to do with your credibility.

Sorry but I am not picking you out for attack but you have given the same small minded view on every post and even given advice without reading the thread properly... You have slagged off gear you haven't even used and your opinion of Behringer is from one mixer you owned years ago.. I don't give a shit about my rep unlike you who only seems to be concerned with getting as many posts up as possible by giving people retarded advice... I have had good rep from senior members so whatever... People can't handle the truth and that's the truth.. Also you have not listened to a word anybody has said to you basing your opinions on what little hands on experience you've had... Go and grow up you sad little man.....

And yes whatever gear you buy there is a chance of faults... If there is a problem with Behringer gear then send it back? Its the same as other companies except they won't bother repairing it but just incinerate it and send you a brand new one...

Fyi

I'm not the only one that has a problem with you Darrin:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin_h2000
Try to find a used soundcraft or Mackie...Behringer is the worst mixer you can buy...steer clear of Phonic too."

There are many budget brands out there: Behringer, Phonic, Alto and so on. They're mass produced very cheaply in China. Quality control doesn't appear to be as good as it should be, and the consequence is that some units have flaws. However, this is also the case with Mackie and Soundcraft. An aquaintance of mine is totally dissatisified with his Mackie, which has misbehaved continually since he bought it. That doesn't make Mackie a bad brand."

Another person pissed of with your attitude:

"Good for you, darrin or wayne or whoever the hell he is has a huge chip on his shoulder."

Whatever dude you shouldn't bother on this forum, oh yeah I forgot you have invested to much time in boosting your posts to make yourself feel big and get a good rep (from crummy advice) to leave this forum...

I think in the current climate many Americans (justifiably or not) are against anything made in China. Im not sure if this is all a symptom of it but I do understand.

Unfortunately it is our own markets that have driven production in that direction and for those of us on a budget its welcome...as Ive said other countries have faced the same quality issues in production but I dare say that Japanese and Korean brands are looked on as reliable and welcome (compared to American cars anyway ;) )

But if Id had problems over the years with one brand Id be sceptic too...so far I havent so I can only go on what I have not what I read on the internet, which I keep being reminded here to ignore as much of it is myth..and the four or five pieces of berry equipment I have work fine, have received decent reviews from respected media sources and fit my budget perfectly allowing me to purchase more expensive gear elsewhere or just plain more gear..three guitars since Feb anyone?

Thanks affordable gear

disease, did you notice how gekko also said,,
"Having said that, probability would suggest, that for an item on eBay, you're prospects are better with the Soundcraft. You need to weigh up known functionality with unknown performance from a used item"

in the end, gekko basically agreed with darrin....it seems to me he just took issue with the way in which darrin made his point.

but...gekko made it known in a mature, sensible fashion, without starting an argument over it..

basically what i'm sayin is....whether you're right or wrong is irrelevant if you're going to be abrasive and aggressive in the way that you speak.

personally i don't care much for the way in which you're choosing to communicate on this forum.

Yes

Kcearl nice point its about budget and putting the money where it matters.. Mic and pre important.. Mixer not so (if its clean)...

disease, did you notice how gekko also said,,
"Having said that, probability would suggest, that for an item on eBay, you're prospects are better with the Soundcraft. You need to weigh up known functionality with unknown performance from a used item"

in the end, gekko basically agreed with darrin....it seems to me he just took issue with the way in which darrin made his point.

but...gekko made it known in a mature, sensible fashion, without starting an argument over it..

basically what i'm sayin is....whether you're right or wrong is irrelevant if you're going to be abrasive and aggressive in the way that you speak.

personally i don't care much for the way in which you're choosing to communicate on this forum.

To be honest with you there's more than a few here who could do with some communication lessons...comes with being old hands on a message board dealing with many of the same posts day in day out..

and also folks that keep jumping to other defence...I'm sure they are big and ugly enough to stick up for themselves ;)

either that or there should be a thunderdome forum where you can fight your opponent to the death!

Back