Heart set on a Vox

BroKen_H

Re-member
Went and played through some amplifiers yesterday at Guitar Center and Sam Ash. Had the opportunity to buy a JCM900 2x12 for $400, but I really don't want 100W amp. Saw a Tiny Terror 1x12 for $325, but it wasn't very versatile. Played through several Peavey, Blackstar, Marshall and Orange amps, and just preferred the tones from the AC15. Waiting for a decent price. Best so far was $449. But I can get that from several places. Ought to be a bargain out there somewhere.

Are you sure you're finding the tube version for that cheap? Brand new VR (hybrid/solid state) are around $399; C1 (all tube) starts at $699 everywhere I've seen.

AC15 is a great amp though; I got mine around Christmas (came with a free Vox wah or I would have tried to find used) and it has not disappointed at all.

yeah, everything I'm seeing at that price is a hybrid with a tubed preamp but SS power amp.

Not that there's anything wrong with that IF you like the sound.
But do be aware of the difference ..... I'd hate for you to have fallen in love with an all-tube AC15 and get the hybrid thinking it's the same thing.

If that was an all-tube real-deal AC15, $449 is a great deal. Buy it now. They're like 800 bucks brand new.

If it was the hybrid, that's too much.

The all-tube AC15/30s are beautiful amps. Great great sounds. If I wasn't a Marshall honk, I'd probably be all over some Vox stuff.

The AC15 I played in the shop made some gorgeous noises. It seems this one is made from cheaper materials, looking quickly at reviews. Have you played that exact model?

i recently played a Mesa lunchbox,
the Transatlantic TA-15.....

it has a rhythm channel that has what they call a 'top boost' channel...
and i gotta say, it sounded awesome.

might be worth spending a bit more, to get all the other channel possibilities for recording purposes,
at least check it out.

another EL84 based amp, with that vox sound, plus some classic bassman type sounds, plus the typical boogie thing.

Not worried about the weight of a studio amp. Just the tones. :)
Honestly preferred the tone of the one I played (was AC15C1TV with the red/beige two-tone, btw) over every other 15W they had. The J900 sounded sweet, but @ 100W it would be hard to find times when I could record in my spaces...never a fan of power soaks.

Vox do seem to add a brick or two to their amps, though. My 15W Night Train is double the weight of others in the same class.

I tried the Mesa TA15 a while ago - it's a great amp, but the price is eye watering and I thought the Orange Dual Terror OD channel was better (for half the price), but then that's the only flavour the Orange does.

I tried the Mesa TA15 a while ago - it's a great amp, but the price is eye watering and I thought the Orange Dual Terror OD channel was better (for half the price), but then that's the only flavour the Orange does.

exactly.

if you do sessions, or work with other players, or host players, or have an actual working studio,
it'd be a better investment if you can get what you want out of it.

i like those orange terrors...they sound really good,
but really only have one flavor, like you said.

Try my old 70's Ampegs ..... my beloved VT-40 weighs 95 lbs and my VT 22 (their version of a twin ) weighs in at 105lbs! :eek:

As for the money ...... I pay what I have to pay to get the gear I want but then, this is my only business.
I have a Mesa Mark V and a Mesa Blue Angel.
Been thinking of the Transatlantic TA 30 but now they have that Mark V micro that looks interesting.
And, as I said, the Carvin V3 Micro has many of the Mesa Features for around half as much.

I have aTiny Terror ...... absolutely a one trick pony but a good one.

Back