Heart set on a Vox

I played through a Peavey Valve King recently that had EL84s, supposed to be a Vox clone, albeit slightly harder/heavier. Quite liked that. Think it was Chinese made too. Cheap.

If you get the Vox I hope you post your impression of it, as I'm thinking of getting an AC30 in a month or two, with the idea it'll sound good with just a guitar and an instrument cable plus some mains supply connected to it.

Good luck

Tim

Okay, two not real local (both 100+ mile) at the $450 price point. One has Wharfdale GSH 12 and the other has Celestion Alnico Blue. Not having any experience with either, are these going to be equal or is there an obvious pick? The Celestion one has new tubes as well.

The alnico blue was in the top of the range ac15 hand wired job when I was looking at amps a while ago. The slightly lesser model had a greenback. I don't know anything about the Wharfedale speaker, but I'd be already in the car for the celestion blue if it was the only choice and I was happy already with the amp itself and the price made sense.

I like my Vox Night Train as a Head so that I can mix and match with different cabs.
I have an open backed cab with Vintage 30s and some mix and match 2-12 from Avatar.

The seperate head might be a PIA for gigging, but is good for the studio.

I only wish it had a way to add a spring reverb to it... no effects loop...

Sorry, guys. The fridge went out and so did my budget. I'll start saving up and start looking again when I get the cash again.

Back