Headphone recommendations

shockingcandy

Leads for all occasions
We need to acquire some circum-aural closed back headphones, primarily for tracking. Much as I'd like to buy 5 pairs of Sony MDR-7506 the budget won't stretch to this. Anyone recommend any good ones at a lower price point?

They look good but aren't they supra-aural? (i.e. sit on your ears rather than around). We have a couple of pairs of MDR-V300s which sound really great but are also supra-aural and don't provide anywhere near enough isolation

They cover the ear. I get good isolation from them when tracking. And I think they sound good for mixing. Not that I mix with headphones, but I do use them to listen to details, crossfades, edits, etc...

Cheers,

If you just need them for tracking - the MoreMe phones are quite cheap and decent -and (drum roll please) the vendor is our very own Harvey Gerst. Good isolation.

http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

@ $36.50 including shipping for the deluxe version. Less if you buy several as shipping costs are spread.

Takes the pain out of having the talent steal or step on your phones.

BTW, I have no relationship with Harvey outside of having bought some phones from him.

I like AKG stuff. The K240 Studio's are about $100 a pair, I have 2 pairs of those, they're my best ones. I have a few K55's too, I think they were about $30/pair, they're decent for the price I guess. My dog's fav. ones to chew up and eat are Vic Firth SIH1's, the high isolation ones. The padding on the top head thingy is gummier and chewier than most others, and she's teething so those feel the best on her gums.

+1 on those akg's.....and funnily enough my dog chewed them. I love them, very comfortable -they were more comfortable pre-chewage but still comfy.

Ultrasone HFI-450 sound very close to my Sennheiser HD280 Pros - both are very flat and accurate. The only downside to the HD280s is its heavy, coiled cord which pulls on your head even with fairly short extension of the coiled cord. HFI-450 has a nice long, uncoiled cord. Sonically, these two sound sets very close to me. But they are each about $99, same price as the Sony 7506s.

Thanks for the suggestions. The MoreMes look kinda cool but I don't think they are available here in the UK. (I did like there solution for drum isolation phones though - that's given me an idea!)

The Ultrasone HFI-450 do have a familiar look to them. I will investigate more

Thanks for the suggestions. The MoreMes look kinda cool but I don't think they are available here in the UK. (I did like there solution for drum isolation phones though - that's given me an idea!)

The Ultrasone HFI-450 do have a familiar look to them. I will investigate more

My bad, I didn't look at your address. If we are looking at $100 as a benchmark price, I really like the Audio Technica ATH-M50 phones. These seem to be regularly available new at that price on e-bay in the States and I assume would also be available at a comparable price in the UK.

Ultrasone HFI-450 sound very close to my Sennheiser HD280 Pros......The only downside to the HD280s is its heavy, coiled cord which pulls on your head even with fairly short extension of the coiled cord. HFI-450 has a nice long, uncoiled cord......

Does this add much to overall weight? The Sennheiser HD280 seems very popular in general.

The coiled cord is heavy enough to be annoying during tracking. I cannot sit more than a foot or two from the mixer during tracking or I have to deal with a significant "pull" from the headphone cord as it uncoils to length. I like the Senn HD280 sound and they really isolate well, but that cord drives me nuts. So I just use these phones for listening/mixing when I am close to the board anyway and the coiled cord can be slack.

The coiled cord is heavy enough to be annoying during tracking. I cannot sit more than a foot or two from the mixer during tracking or I have to deal with a significant "pull" from the headphone cord as it uncoils to length......

That would drive me nuts.

Anyway, I just got back from a lunch-time pop-out to GC. The AKG K240's sure felt a lot more comfortable to me than the Sennheiser HD-280's, just in general (cup and headband feel). They've got them on-sale for $119.99.

I also tried on the AKG K99's, going for $79.99. Also comfortable, but most stuff I've read on them indicates more for video games, etc. than true studio use.

Back