Hd24/hd24xr

casenpoint

I own the newer version of the HD24 series. XR that is, and I recently had to transfer some songs from the old version to my newer caddy. I found that the old version doesn't recognize the XR formatted hard-drive. I had to dump files and reformat in the older version.

It is best for any owner of the new version to have At least one of thier caddies to be formatted in the old version. When the older formatted version is inserted into the newer recorder, the prompt asks the individual to reformat to the newer version , do not do this! It will be best not to do this.
I am not exactly sure if the forum had covered this, but, now It has.

Thank You,

John

Funny my school just switched to these machines this semester...

The machine is gonna take getting used to especially that analog digital button on there. :mad: That one button fucked up a whole recording session for me last week. :(

casenpoint said:
I own the newer version of the HD24 series. XR that is, and I recently had to transfer some songs from the old version to my newer caddy. I found that the old version doesn't recognize the XR formatted hard-drive. I had to dump files and reformat in the older version.

It is best for any owner of the new version to have At least one of thier caddies to be formatted in the old version. When the older formatted version is inserted into the newer recorder, the prompt asks the individual to reformat to the newer version , do not do this! It will be best not to do this.
I am not exactly sure if the forum had covered this, but, now It has.

Thank You,

John

There was a file system change with version 1.10 of the OS.

You probably have an OS version older than 1.10 on your "old" HD24, and something more recent on your XR. If that's the case, you can upgrade your older HD24 to the latest OS which is 1.20, and both machines will recognize the same hard-drive.

The newer OS recognizes pre 1.10 formated drives and offers you to update the file system on your hard drive. If you do that there is no going back, your pre 1.10 machine will not be able to read it. That's why it is best to install a newer version of the OS on your HD24, and you are all set.

The upgrade won't reformat your drive, and is non-destructive. At least that's my understanding, but I would check with Alesis first to be sure.

Good luck.

aspirin said:

You probably have an OS version older than 1.10 on your "old" HD24, and something more recent on your XR. If that's the case, you can upgrade your older HD24 to the latest OS which is 1.20, and both machines will recognize the same hard-drive.

The newer OS recognizes pre 1.10 formated drives and offers you to update the file system on your hard drive. If you do that there is no going back, your pre 1.10 machine will not be able to read it. That's why it is best to install a newer version of the OS on your HD24, and you are all set.
Exactloy right -- you should upgrade the OS on your non-XR machines andyou won't have any trouble. And the "re-format" from old OS-formatted drives to the latest is non-destructive to the drive data.

I would reccomend backing up any drive that you are about to reformat to the new OS just in case. I understand that the process is said to be nondestructive, but over the years my experience is to always backup, especially if you are about do any kind of system level processing and formatting:D

xstatic said:
I would reccomend backing up any drive that you are about to reformat to the new OS just in case. I understand that the process is said to be nondestructive, but over the years my experience is to always backup, especially if you are about do any kind of system level processing and formatting:D
Absolutely - I do the same thing!

aspirin said:

The upgrade won't reformat your drive, and is non-destructive. At least that's my understanding, but I would check with Alesis first to be sure.

Good luck.

The older version is not mine. All I can do is recommend that he upgrades his machine. I don't think he'll do it cause I said so. Thanks!

Casenpoint

Back