Have a bit of experience with mics, looking for good advice.

einartorkelsen

Greetings! I'm looking for some advice. I've been using the Samson C01U for about a year, and while I like it very much, being a condenser microphone it picks up alot of noise. I've done a lot of tweaks, and I've also gotten familiar with Adobe Audition, so removing the noise at post isn't much of a hazzle. However, since I mostly use the mic for live purposes, stretching from skyping to broadcasting, noise can be quite the issue. Thus, I'm looking at investing between $200-300 into a high quality dynamic microphone purely for live voice recording. I've been looking at the Røde Podcaster, which is a plug and play usb mic, as well as the Røde Procaster, which is the XLR equivelant. Have you got any experience with these? Of course, with the XLR version, I need a compatible audio interface. Have you got any suggestions at a reasonable price? Would picking the procaster, which would cost me more with the additional interface, be worth it? Also, do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you.

While buying a Podcaster will do you no harm personally, you might be better off avoiding the harm to your wallet by addressing the noise sources.

The first thing you can do is turn the gain down and speak up.

The second thing you can do is identify and remove (or minimise) noise sources.

einartorkelsen

Depending on where your live recordings are taking place, you may not have control over the ambient noise. Have you heard of the Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone? This is both XLR and USB, is Dynamic, and is less than $60! I use this one for spoken word. Post processing is good, but obviously the less noise you have to remove, then the better your recording.

Give the 2100 a look.

John Hames

here is a Youtube that discusses it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DRj-9L54kE

Last edited:
I do all my recordings at home. I have a very silent setup, and have discovered that most of the noise the C01U picks up is from inside the computer, which isn't too uncomon with USB mics. Thus is why I'm looking into getting the procaster, as it has the quality I'm looking for and is within my price range.

That said, I'm fairly certain I want to get an XLR audio interface. Are there any relatively cheap ones ($50-100) you can reccomend? It would be great if there was one that could serve as an interface for an XLR mic and a DAC and preamp for my monitoring headphones.

I do all my recordings at home. I have a very silent setup, and have discovered that most of the noise the C01U picks up is from inside the computer, which isn't too uncomon with USB mics. Thus is why I'm looking into getting the procaster, as it has the quality I'm looking for and is within my price range.

That said, I'm fairly certain I want to get an XLR audio interface. Are there any relatively cheap ones ($50-100) you can reccomend? It would be great if there was one that could serve as an interface for an XLR mic and a DAC and preamp for my monitoring headphones.

Are you talking about fan/hard drive noise or are you talking about internal electrical noise? I'm just wondering if the problem will go away with the purchase of a new mic/interface

Back