Has anyone tried STUDIO ONE's mastering suite?

Raymeous

Hello all!

I've got a copy of Studio One Artist that I got with my Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL interface, and will be upgrading to S1 Pro here pretty soon. It seems to have a pretty cool looking suite specifically for mastering. It lets you bring in multiple songs at once, tweak them, and post them straight to Soundcloud or iTunes straight from Studio One. Has anyone here actually used it yet, meaning th emastering suite, and if so what's your opinion on it?

just curious.

If you're not familiar with what I'm talking about check out this video:
Mastering in Studio One Pro with Jim Odom - YouTube

Or this one:
Mastering In PreSonus Studio One - TheRecordingRevolution.com - YouTube

So what do you mastering engineer types think of this?

Yeah, Studio One is a newer DAW and most people on this forum have been around at least a couple of years and tend to stick with one DAW. Studio One did intrigue me when it first came out, but I had just purchased Reaper at the time and haven't looked back.

As always it generally will be down to monitoring and the environment. A reasonable master can be made using some basic plug ins given detailed monitoring (DAC/speakers/amplification and room). A good engineer will know what needs correcting (and what can be corrected effectively enough) and what to leave alone for the best. However the best mastering uses both analogue and digital kit because they both have strengths, this leaves no stone unturned and produces the best results.

Cheers

SafeandSound
Professional mastering

I've used it. It's pretty cool being able to line an entire album up, create all the fades, etc. and have the nice large meters. Beyond that it's the same stuff. It's a nice touch but not a huge selling point for me.

I have Studio One Producer (not pro). I was considering the upgrade but considering I don't even know what mastering entails I figured it would be wasted money for now. I will say that I enjoy the workflow in Studio One. It seems to be a cross between the simplicity of Mixcraft with the availability of tools like Pro Tools or Logic. Once I understand what mastering is and why I need it, I will be doing the upgrade. As part of the upgrade to Pro if I'm not mistaken you also get a copy of Melodyne which is the cost of the upgrade by itself.

A "mastering suite" that's set up for Soundcloud/iTunes.
Does that really seem like it's addressing the needs of audio or convenience?
Playing is hard.
Recording is easy.
Mastering is voodoo that requires a) EXCELLENT ears, b) EXCELLENT SKILLS & c) a few EXCELLENT tools.
Get a grip on the playing & recording before considering mastering as an essential skills set.

...As part of the upgrade to Pro if I'm not mistaken you also get a copy of Melodyne which is the cost of the upgrade by itself...
You'll get an 'Essentials Version' of Melodyne, but the real tools of value are in the 'Editor Version', which for me was $149.00 upgrade price.

As for the mastering in Studio One, I haven't used it yet, but I will give it a try someday, as I have the full version.

A "mastering suite" that's set up for Soundcloud/iTunes.
Does that really seem like it's addressing the needs of audio or convenience?

Lol this is my thoughts exactly. PreSonus is a great company, but I still would stay away from mastering w/ software for 1, and more so w/ a newer DAW's software that implements sharing to soundcloud as a feature >D It sounds like this is focused on making it easy for the average person to "master" their own tracks. I'm sure you can achieve good results w/ it, but most likely you'd be better off outsourcing your mastering to a mastering engineer.

...but most likely you'd be better off outsourcing your mastering to a mastering engineer...

Of course you'd be better off. You'd also be better off showing up in a limo & spending $150-200 an hour in a $300,000.00 studio with 2-3 top notch producers and the best studio musicians and song writer's around - but who can afford all that?

'Has anyone tried STUDIO ONE's mastering suite?' is the Post title.

Ive just started delving into the Studio 1 mastering suite - the record/mix section is great, I love it but yeah sorry, too early for me to have any pearls of wisdom with mastering - to be honest I prefer someone else doing it anyway cos by the time Ive mixed a track and heard a million times I'm OVER IT! LOL

Back