Harddrive Recommendation??

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100581-1

I just bought one of these, and so far it works really well. Supposedly the fastest IDE drive out there right now. You can't hear it in silent mode, and it's not that loud in performance mode (still a lot quieter than my Maxtor).

The only downside is that every 10 or 15 minutes, there is a whine or a "meow" that comes from the drive. This is normal...the heads are just realigning. Some hate it. Some ignore it. Some are used to it. I'm used to it, and it's fast...faster than Seagate for sure.

In conclusion, I recommend the Hitachi.

Seagate has long been the silence leader in hard drives, though that leadership position has waned over the last year. I must admit I have a Hitachi and sometimes it emits, for no good reason, a series of beeps. It kind of freaks me out, honestly, even though the drive diagnostic utilities and SMART check out okay. It's been reliable for the last year, but...it still scares me.

You might want to check out those Samsung drives. I know some people would scoff at the idea, but they're one of the few guys that continue to provide a 3 year warranty on their drive. Almost everybody else has shifted over to one year warranties. Though they typically don't perform as quickly as WD or Seagate or Hitachi, they're among the best in sound level and temperature.

When installing the second 'audio only' harddrive, should I also put my recording software on that drive? Or should I keep that on the main drive?

I am very happy with Seagate Barracudas, which I have several. They are probably the quitest on the market.
Just recently got 200GB drive for less then a $100 after rebate.

I use and recommend IBM/Hitachi I have two 120gb drives in external usb/firewire enclosures, and my Pc has a 120 gb and a 60gb for window os and a 40gb for my Linux os the 40 is 6/7 years old and still going strong
J.

Back