Guitarist wants to learn drums...what kit?

Myriad_Rocker

Okay, here's the deal. I had a kit several years ago. Messed around on it and then sold it. I am seriously wanting to learn to play the right way. The caveat: I'm a gear whore. So whatever I get has to be nice. I want a decent kit that will last me a long while...possibly never have to sell. I want to learn on it, gig on it, and record with it.

I also know quite a bit about drums and I know enough to know that the kind of drummer I am is a two floor tom kind of guy. Prefer two rack toms but one is okay. What I don't know is what kind of kit I should be looking at. I want to buy used so I can get the most bang for my buck. I just need a bit of guidance. My budget goes up to $1,500. I could possibly push more but I'd like to be able to get the hardware and a couple cymbals pretty quick to go with it.

I'm thinking a used ddrum Dios Walnut kit. A drummer friend of mine has one it sounds amazing. Of course, he knows how to tune REALLY well.

Problem is that there aren't any used on evilBay.

I've been playing since the 60's and I've never paid big bucks for sets. You don't need to spend much if you shop around.

Any of the good drums are fine. I'm a vintage Gretsch and Ludwig fanatic. But it doesn't matter. I can have fun on any quality set of drums.

The heads really, really matter as does the tweaking - tuning and muffling etc...

The hardest part with drums has always been finding cymbals. You can adjust drums and try new heads but what a cymbal sounds like you are stuck with.

So my advice is to watch Craigslist and look for deals on "pro" sets. I'd avoid the cheap sets from the good companies. If you get stuck on "I must have DW" you'll pay a lot, so I'd be open to what comes up on Craigslist.

I agree with what was said by dintymoore. I have a few kits and they weren't all that expensive because I built them up.

If you're looking for "the most bang for your buck" and you want good serviceable drums to learn on, then I recommend one of the PDP (Pacific Drums & Percussion) shell packs (for under $400) and shop around for some good used cymbals. They are a subsidiary of DW and the hardware on these inexpensive drums is really good.

I agree with what was said by dintymoore. I have a few kits and they weren't all that expensive because I built them up.

If you're looking for "the most bang for your buck" and you want good serviceable drums to learn on, then I recommend one of the PDP (Pacific Drums & Percussion) shell packs (for under $400) and shop around for some good used cymbals. They are a subsidiary of DW and the hardware on these inexpensive drums is really good.
A drummer I used to jam with had a PDP set. I didn't like it, personally. He couldn't tune very well but I just wasn't impressed with the build quality...namely the hardware. That whole situation really soured me on PDP.

A drummer I used to jam with had a PDP set. I didn't like it, personally. He couldn't tune very well but I just wasn't impressed with the build quality...namely the hardware. That whole situation really soured me on PDP.

Do you know what kit he had? I've got a PDP CX kit and the only thing that wasn't great about it is what you'd expect, the snare. Obviously I had to put decent heads on it, but I've kept the hardware, I thought the cymbals stands were pretty damn good, they've got a wide base, so they shouldn't fall over.

But, if you don't like, then that's fair enough. my dad bought a Mapex Voyager VX (the one with the 18" kick) which is really good for the price; so it might be worth checking out their other kits.

Okay, here's the deal. I had a kit several years ago. Messed around on it and then sold it. I am seriously wanting to learn to play the right way. The caveat: I'm a gear whore. So whatever I get has to be nice. I want a decent kit that will last me a long while...possibly never have to sell. I want to learn on it, gig on it, and record with it.

I also know quite a bit about drums and I know enough to know that the kind of drummer I am is a two floor tom kind of guy. Prefer two rack toms but one is okay. What I don't know is what kind of kit I should be looking at. I want to buy used so I can get the most bang for my buck. I just need a bit of guidance. My budget goes up to $1,500. I could possibly push more but I'd like to be able to get the hardware and a couple cymbals pretty quick to go with it.

When I was beginning learning to play drums, I used e-drums. With the actual kits, go first with the cheap one since you are still learning. An old Tama Rockstar could be your first kit. Best of luck.

^ I just got a used pearl kit on craigslist I found for $400. Definitely check craigslist before you buy from stores, 9 times out of 10 they're going to have what your looking for.

Spend the money, and you'll invest the time into being a better player! I am a guitarist first, but have played drums for years. I owned a new Pearl Export series when I was young, and that's when I learned, but I recently devoted myself to becoming a good drummer, and invested about $1500 in a great new Ludwig 6 piece Element Power kit with Zildjian cymbals. I'm in love with the drum kit and never want to stop playing them, and it's made me a capable enough drummer to play in any bar band, or play on any recording. Invest the money and you won't blow off investing the time to learn to play them. That would be my advice. (2 years late! lol)

Spend the money, and you'll invest the time into being a better player! I am a guitarist first, but have played drums for years. I owned a new Pearl Export series when I was young, and that's when I learned, but I recently devoted myself to becoming a good drummer, and invested about $1500 in a great new Ludwig 6 piece Element Power kit with Zildjian cymbals. I'm in love with the drum kit and never want to stop playing them, and it's made me a capable enough drummer to play in any bar band, or play on any recording. Invest the money and you won't blow off investing the time to learn to play them. That would be my advice. (2 years late! lol)

I think he already found one (hopefully by now), but good info anyways! :D

As long as you steer clear of the cheap lines, any brand of drums will be fine. Once you get up into the mid and top of the line drums, it's more about personal preference than actual quality.

One of my clients found a DW kit (just the shells) on ebay for $1600. So you are not under-funded.

I was in the same boat as you. Guitarist, had an export kit as a kid, sold it when I went to college, 10 years later really want to get good at drums. I bought a vintage oversized gretsch kit (70s). That was risky. If I ever buy another kit it will be a DW for sure, I just love the sound. Next you'll be finding the right kick pedal (Iron cobra for me) and cymbals (vintage zildjian or paiste or new zildjian for me). Oh, and I've actually gotten pretty okay at drums. I am actually playing in a couple bands (which really really helps).

Back