Guitar making tools: Which router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most important tool in any ones collection is the willingness to learn and the determination to succeed. Other important tools are patience and the two eyes in your head and the processor behind them.

You don't seem to want to answer this question. Could it be because you might have to agree with me Muttley? If you were to have an unfortunate fire in the workshop and needed to start the shop from scratch, what would your first order of business be? Possibly a work bench?

Yes, I have only built 2 1/2 crappy guitars, but I would bet that I've joined more bookmatched maple panels than Muttley has. I probably have more time on a router and or a band saw. My perspective is one of difference, not ignorance.

Glen

You don't seem to want to answer this question. Could it be because you might have to agree with me Muttley? If you were to have an unfortunate fire in the workshop and needed to start the shop from scratch, what would your first order of business be? Possibly a work bench?

Glen

I have answered your question. My main workbech is 25 feet of old kitchen cabinets with 3/4 play on top.

Yes, I have only built 2 1/2 crappy guitars, but I would bet that I've joined more bookmatched maple panels than Muttley has. I probably have more time on a router and or a band saw. My perspective is one of difference, not ignorance.

I seriously doubt it unless you have 35 years in the trade with an average 13 hour day. I did the book matched panels on 30 floors of the Canary Wharf building when it was built in the mid 80's start there. Ok I had a team with me. I worked as a historical consultant and wood carver on Windsor Castle after the fire... If you want a pissing contest you will lose that too. I have quite an extensive portfolio. Here I restrict it to musical instrument work because that is what I have done exclusively for 20 years and for 35 years in total. Of course you can prove me wrong by posting some pictures of your work. I choose to stick to musical instruments because this is a music site...

anyway lets see your work..:eatpopcorn:

No I don't agree with you. You have advocated that you need a plethora of power tools, space, jointing equipment, a method to mill raw lumber, you are wrong. I have worked on sites, upside down, I have worked on private jets in forensic suits, I have worked 80 floors up fitting doors/panels/ before the widows and went in, I have worked on English castle ceiling restorations doing carvings on 14th century fire damaged oak, I have worked on Rolls Royce cars in show rooms, I have carried out repairs on guitars backstage for serious players with 2 minute deadlines before the curtain goes up... All without a designated work bench. Let it go. of course a workbench is desirable but that is not and was not your point.

Stop wriggling and start sharing the benefit of your experience, People are waiting... It's your gig now..

I wanna build a Johnny Thunders tribute double-cut, single P-90 LP JR. Seems like a good starter guitar.

Thats pretty much what I was discussing with JCH but a single cut because that would be easier. The junior is a classic of design and function. To my mind it pisses all over the strat and rivals the tele as a basic functional piece of guitar design. Way underrated.

I'm sure gcolbert will be along soon with the basics outlined for the way forward... Hang in there..;)

I have answered your question. My main workbech is 25 feet of old kitchen cabinets with 3/4 play on top.
You seem to have a real issue answering this question. Can't bring yourself to admitting you are wrong?

I never said anything about cost. Only that a solid workspace is the first element of a good shop. Most craftsmen make their own. Could you address the question? Starting from scratch, what part of your shop would be the first order of business.

I seriously doubt it unless you have 35 years in the trade with an average 13 hour day. I did the book matched panels on 30 floors of the Canary Wharf building when it was built in the mid 80's start there. Ok I had a team with me. I worked as a historical consultant and wood carver on Windsor Castle after the fire...

Oh, I thought you were a luthier and not a lowly cabinet maker like me. How did I miss that?

No I don't agree with you. You have advocated that you need a plethora of power tools, space, jointing equipment, a method to mill raw lumber, you are wrong.
You keep insisting that I suggested a list of expensive power tools. If the only way you can make your point is by putting words into my mouth then there isn't much to your argument. Answer the question of how you would prioritize rebuilding your shop from scratch and let me know how far down the list the router falls.

I have worked on sites, upside down, I have worked on private jets in forensic suits, I have worked 80 floors up fitting doors/panels/ before the widows and went in, I have worked on English castle ceiling restorations doing carvings on 14th century fire damaged oak, I have worked on Rolls Royce cars in show rooms, I have carried out repairs on guitars backstage for serious players with 2 minute deadlines before the curtain goes up... All without a designated work bench. Let it go. of course a workbench is desirable but that is not and was not your point.

So you are a finish carpenter now and not a mere cabinet maker?

desireable? Just what are your priorities? You don't seem to be willing to share this for some reason.

My recommendation was a good work bench and joining tools. What do you think he should buy first?

You seem to have a real issue answering this question. Can't bring yourself to admitting you are wrong?

I never said anything about cost. Only that a solid workspace is the first element of a good shop. Most craftsmen make their own. Could you address the question? Starting from scratch, what part of your shop would be the first order of business.

Oh, I thought you were a luthier and not a lowly cabinet maker like me. How did I miss that?

You keep insisting that I suggested a list of expensive power tools. If the only way you can make your point is by putting words into my mouth then there isn't much to your argument. Answer the question of how you would prioritize rebuilding your shop from scratch and let me know how far down the list the router falls.

So you are a finish carpenter now and not a mere cabinet maker?

desireable? Just what are your priorities? You don't seem to be willing to share this for some reason.

My recommendation was a good work bench and joining tools. What do you think he should buy first?

Just go away, deal with your issues... We are done with you. Go back and check how many people have told you that already...:facepalm:

Gene, C'mon man. You're really starting to look like a jerk here. This was a good thread 'til you started trolling it.

You may well scoff ( :D ) but when I did my first degree 25 years ago I did a years study of early fretted instruments and their

I seriously doubt it unless you have 35 years in the trade with an average 13 hour day.

Wow!! 35 years of 13 hour days? How'd that University thing work out for you. Possibly if you had majored in something other than basket weaving? And for all your effort you have recycled kitchen cabinets and a piece of plywood to work on? Your CV is rather interesting Muttley.

Yeah, I agree, enough of this.

Wow!! 35 years of 13 hour days? How'd that University thing work out for you. Possibly if you had majored in something other than basket weaving? And for all your effort you have recycled kitchen cabinets and a piece of plywood to work on? Your CV is rather interesting Muttley.

Yeah, I agree, enough of this.

Not every one drinks and smokes themselves stupid when they educate themselves. Some of us choose to pay for our education and work and learn at the same time. Especially if your good enough to get a sponsor while you do it...:rolleyes:

Seeing as how you have ruined this thread I'll pile in some more. I have also done a second degree, a masters and a Doctorate. I am still employed at a university now. I come across closed minded idiots like you all the time. They rarely make it beyond year one. Like JCH said what have you ever done? Like gerg said 3 guitars and none of them any good. Like blaumph2cool said, If you are not going to be helpful than leave.

Now..... where are all these photographs of the work you have done over the years? People are keen to see...

Like JCH said after asking what have you made lately? Which you failed to respond to.

Gene, C'mon man. You're really starting to look like a jerk here. This was a good thread 'til you started trolling it.

Come on it's good to share. Lets see your work...

:eatpopcorn:

:eatpopcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back