Guitar Excess :)

famous beagle

This is the final example in my forthcoming book, Guitarist's Guide to Economy Picking .... the "kitchen sink" example, as it were.

It was 3am, and so I decided to make a it a bit quirky. Anyway ... any thoughts on the mix (or anything else) are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for listening!

Attachments

• GGEP_Track_120.mp3
    765.2 KB · Views: 50
i think it needs more cowbell.

nice playing, so it was a little riff you came up with in the middle of the night? sounds good to me. good tones all around. :thumbs up:

Damn, I forgot to unmute the cowbell. I knew it was missing something.

Thanks! Yes it was the last example I had to write for the book. I was tired, and it was late as hell, but I really wanted to be done with it, so I plowed through. Improvised a bunch, worked out a few of the tricky bits, and then just transcribed what I'd done the next morning. :)

That's pretty quirky - there's a really interesting choice of note in the lick at 11s. Can you tell us what you were doing there?

That's pretty quirky - there's a really interesting choice of note in the lick at 11s. Can you tell us what you were doing there?

I think you're probably referring to the G+/A chord, over which I played a G+ (G-B-D#) arpeggio and then came down the A (or G or F, etc.) whole tone scale: A-B-C#-D#-F-G. Thanks for the listen!

I think you're probably referring to the G+/A chord, over which I played a G+ (G-B-D#) arpeggio and then came down the A (or G or F, etc.) whole tone scale: A-B-C#-D#-F-G. Thanks for the listen!

I think we're talking about the same bit - it has a sound that is even more Lydian than Lydian if you know what I mean.

Yes I agree. Whereas Lydian only has three whole steps in a row, the whole tone scale has five in a row. In other words, the whole tone scale "goes to 11." :)

I would've liked to hear a lot more of the pick attack of that wah rhythm guitar since you're going for that groovey feel. Feels like it kinda lacks presence. Also is rhythm panned left and lead right? Might be a better idea to double track rhythm panned L and R and then have the leads in the center. Great playing though!

I would've liked to hear a lot more of the pick attack of that wah rhythm guitar since you're going for that groovey feel. Feels like it kinda lacks presence. Also is rhythm panned left and lead right? Might be a better idea to double track rhythm panned L and R and then have the leads in the center. Great playing though!

Thanks for the listen and comments! I can take another listen to the rhythm guitar to see if I can liven it up a bit. That's actually a phaser on there and not a wah.

Regarding the panning, I did it that way so the reader can (mostly) remove the lead if they want to play over the backing track or remove the rhythm if they want to hear the lead alone for close examination.

Thanks for the listen and comments! I can take another listen to the rhythm guitar to see if I can liven it up a bit. That's actually a phaser on there and not a wah.

Regarding the panning, I did it that way so the reader can (mostly) remove the lead if they want to play over the backing track or remove the rhythm if they want to hear the lead alone for close examination.

If I was doing a tutorial set I would appreciate hard panning so I could just pop a headphone off.

Impressive playing beagle. I like the comping from the rhythm guitar, but tone-wise it just sounds weird, like you're playing inside a glass bowl. Even though the two guitars seem to be hard-panned in opposite direction, the two are getting tangled up and are conflicting rather than complimenting each other. I assume whatever ambiance you have on the rhythm guitar is spilling over to the right. If this is an instructional track, your audience might appreciate more clarity and separation.

Listening again, the bass seems to be suffering from some of the same issues as the rhythm guitar. Have you got delay on that bass? Really, I think the whole mix would sound better if it were a lot drier.

Thanks for the listen and comments. Ha ... No there's no delay on the bass. :) The only effects are a phaser on the rhythm guitar, delay on the lead guitar, and some reverb on both. Maybe I went a little too wet with the rhythm guitar.

I agree with Robus the mix can be made better by simply making it drier, and I agree with him that the hard panning has failed due to the ambiance.

The solo notes are giving me agita. It must be that whole tone scale. That's a subjective thing, but I thought you should know b/c some readers of your book might have that reaction.

Can you post a dry mix of it? Is there any reason it needs that much reverb?

Is there any reason it needs that much reverb?

I think that's pretty common for that style of music.

He can take out the reverb for you guys to hear it dry...but IMO, it will flatten it out and kill the character.
Through maybe a bit less on the rhythm guitar part might work as it's too wet against the lead.

YMMV...

Maybe I went a little too wet with the rhythm guitar.

Oh...never mind...I see you're already thinking about that.
It might be the combination of phaser and reverb...maybe dial both back.

I agree with Robus the mix can be made better by simply making it drier, and I agree with him that the hard panning has failed due to the ambiance.

The solo notes are giving me agita. It must be that whole tone scale. That's a subjective thing, but I thought you should know b/c some readers of your book might have that reaction.

Can you post a dry mix of it? Is there any reason it needs that much reverb?

Here's a drier mix with no phaser on the rhythm guitar either. Better?

I know not everyone likes fusiony-type stuff. Most of the examples in the book are much-more rock based and straightforward with regards to the note choices. I just shared this one because I liked it.

Attachments

• GGEP_Track_120_drier (1).mp3
    765.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I think it's better like that on the rhythm guitar...maybe dial back the volume 1-2 clicks.

The lead sounds good with the reverb.

as an intermediate player(with 2 left hands I have to admit, no offense intended on left handed players though :) ) the drier version sounds better and nuances are more distinguished. I'm far from this playing technique and speed ,but it is something interesting to explore

Back