Guitar Center v. Elixir

Light

Well, not in a legal sense, but I got a call from the Elixir folks the other day. Due to unreasonable concession demands, Guitar Center will no longer be carrying Elixir strings.

Now, my opinion on both companies is pretty well known around here, so it should come as no surprise that I have no idea which side I want to support here, but I'm afraid that in this case, I'm actually going to have to go with Elixir. Bizarre, but true.
No doubt they hope that I will be buying more of their strings. It is a foolish hope (I don't have room for all of the strings I carry right now), but hey, whatever.

At any rate, I don’t know when this will go into effect. It may be immediate, or Banjo Mart may just keep selling Elixirs until they run out. For all I know, the two companies may even come to some agreement before it becomes an issue, but there is the info I have on the subject.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Last edited:
I like Elixirs.

I don't really care about that polyweb crap or whatever it's called, but they seem to last the longest for me and they sound good on my acoustic. They do break pretty easy though.

A lot of people seem to despise Elixirs, I don't know why?

Grilled_Cheese said:
A lot of people seem to despise Elixirs, I don't know why?

Because they sound like shit. Dead, dead, dead from the second you put them on the guitar. Who cares how long they last if they sound like shit.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

I know some damned fine guitarists that would disagree with you there :eek:.

I have a set here to put on my own acoustic (replacing D'Addarios) when I get a chance so I'll make my mind up then, that said, my son has been using them and has no complaints.

:cool:

But they last a long time! :rolleyes: Bwahahahaha

I have never put a set of Elixers on any guitar ever and I never will. ;)

Light said:
Because they sound like shit. Dead, dead, dead from the second you put them on the guitar. Who cares how long they last if they sound like shit.

Maybe your guitar. Mine sounds fine.

But they last a long time! Bwahahahaha

I have never put a set of Elixers on any guitar ever and I never will.

I don't buy Elixirs because they last along time, I buy them for the sound. But they happen to last longer than other strings for me.

Light said:
Because they sound like shit. Dead, dead, dead from the second you put them on the guitar.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Have to disagree. I've used alot of various brands, purely to find the one I would consider the best. I love Elixirs and GHS Boomers, I'd definetely prefer them to say Ernie Ball.

turtlishous said:
how do you get that from plastic rapped crap?

Dude, that plastic dull tone will last 10 times longer than normal strings...

That's worth an extra $20, no?? :D

So why won't GC carry them? Do they want to lower the wholesale price? How will they sell any more Taylors?

Elixers and coated strings in general are a compromise for sure but they certainly work for me. Overall I like them better for recording, and for stage use less resistance is nice. But mainly, with 20 instruments to put strings on, it's more cost effective in the long run.

look i see the "bright" side to having strings that last a month.

but you wouldn't want to keep drum heads on a kit that you record with every day for a month? you will hear the difference.

starting out with a duller tone isn't gonna get any better after aweek so your gonna have to change them anyway.

if you have a shop and 20 trunks to string,,,yes,,,by all means use them.

the first thing i do when i get a new guitar is change the strings. shops use funky stuff and they're always dead anyway.

I change my strings once a year, and they aren't Elixirs. I get the same dead tone all the time, and I save $240 a year :D

turtlishous said:
not a fuckin chance.....why sacrifice tone for 10 bucks?

Who's sacrificing tone?

That "plastic crap" sounds better on my acoustic than the other strings I've tried. I don't know why.

The fact that they last longer is just a bonus.

Grilled_Cheese said:
Who's sacrificing tone?

That "plastic crap" sounds better on my acoustic than the other strings I've tried. I don't know why.

The fact that they last longer is just a bonus.

i guess it's all in what your used to hearing..... :rolleyes:

Back