guitar cables = hiss ??

Dogbreath

Im an ex-spurt
So I've been running my Vox ToneLab SE between my bass and my head (GK if it matters). Lotsa hiss when I crank it.
Took the Vox outta the chain...ran straight bass to head....better but still a lot of hiss.
Unplugged the bass and just cranked the input gain and the master volume all the way. Barely any hiss even with it wide open. The cables I've been using are ProCo if that helps.

So....it seems to me the only real denominator is the cables I'm using from bass to head or bass to Vox to head.
Even tho I hate Monsters business practices, you guys think it would solve my dilemma by buying a couple good (expensive) ones?
Or ya think I have something else goin on?

(btw....active bass and I'm changing the battery tonite)

Ill go out on a limb here and guess that it's the active bass electronics and not the cable. Hiss would be more associated with active electronics to my mind.

I have a 4 Tonelab SE's and have noticed they all will hiss if the gain knob in the back is turned up. I keep mine under 50% and find the hiss tolerable. How do you like the SE? I havent run into many players that have them.

VP

Check your battery?

my version of testing a 9v is to lick it. :D Installing a new one tonite but have always noticed this thing hissing. Just not this bad.
?

I have a 4 Tonelab SE's and have noticed they all will hiss if the gain knob in the back is turned up. I keep mine under 50% and find the hiss tolerable. How do you like the SE? I havent run into many players that have them.

VP

That's a good thought. I'll back off the gain on back and see if it helps.
I originally got the SE when I was playin guitar all the time and to run DI bass for recording. I like it. Having the separate pedals for volume and wah is kinda nice.

Thanks guys. :)

If you don't have anything plugged into the input of the amp, the input is sent to ground so it won't make any noise at all. So that isn't a test of the cable and doesn't mean that the cable is the problem. In other words, you have to have something plugged in to the input for the amp to even make noist that the amp itself is creating.

If you don't have anything plugged into the input of the amp, the input is sent to ground so it won't make any noise at all. So that isn't a test of the cable and doesn't mean that the cable is the problem. In other words, you have to have something plugged in to the input for the amp to even make noist that the amp itself is creating.

I believe a problematic amp can still make noise even if the input jack is shorted, it just means that when it is shorted, outside signals will not be introduced and amplified. Inherent problems in the amp can still manifest itself and be heard.

VP

:D no shit huh?

ok...swapped batteries, no good. Swapped basses...good.
Turns out it's the wiring pigtail at the 9v. One of the snap hootchers don't snap on the battery very tight. Tried pinchin it closer but nada.

Gotta solder in a really small, pain in the ass cavity in the bass. But, at least it's simple.

Thanks gents. :drunk:

I believe a problematic amp can still make noise even if the input jack is shorted, it just means that when it is shorted, outside signals will not be introduced and amplified. Inherent problems in the amp can still manifest itself and be heard.
Only if there is a problem someplace other than the preamp section.

Back