Grass

I like it. Not much I would do. Seems like the vocals ebb & flow a bit volume wise, but that might be my ears.

Good song, I like the lyrical mood. You sound George-ish on this. Nice. :)

Thanks. :cool:

Wow! Listen to the Beatles, much? :^)

I liked this a lot. It is original, yes? I did a search to see if it was a Lennon cover!

Melodic, well arranged, good imagination. Everything is there...all the elements. There's one spot where I'd have added two beats to a measure to allow word phrasing to play out naturally, and throw an interesting curve at the listener. Other than that, nothing to nit on the words, melody, or arrangement. Musta been a head tune?

Anyway, the recording is nitworthy:

The drums' pan is all over the field...too wide. I think you lose the cohesiveness of the set, played as a set, when it's that wide....the floor tom is in the broom closet off-stage, left, etc. The sound of the kit is distant. The cymbals ...I don't remember any big, signature G Martin crash sounds. Ringo's deep crashes....Martin made them sound like your nose was at the edge of the thing...touching. In fact, the whole work sounds distant.

There are features passing along way to the L&R...like the trumpet...that'd sound good closer to center, I think.

Maybe too much overall FX? Using as many samples as this work does, I think y' gotta print 'em, and leave 'em alone. The stuff, working together, becomes a mash, sort of. Maybe thin things? Find a slot for the instruments to work in alone. Don't compress as much. Pull back on the FX. Let the music speak for itself, with clean, unadulterated sounds. Feature the main instruments at higher levels....park the orchestration in the back for flavor.......a soup with too much pepper and garlic, so to speak.

The FX on the vocal get old after a while. A section of dry, in-yer-face, would be a treat.

A great song. Listen to the Beatles stuff, headphones on, from the perspective of engineer, now. Some organization of the mix, weeding, FX discipline, and clarity of sound will put you over the top! MHO

Great stuff. You've got some skills for sure! If I have to nit a couple of things, I'd probably pick on the drum panning, particularly the toms...I don't care for the way they are all over to the left, it sounds weird and unnatural to my ears. I'm hearing the features Jeff mentioned above a little differently though, at least on first listen - I'd maybe take a couple of the accent pieces like the trumpets, horns, etc, and pan them out a little more so they stick out and are separated more. In my memory of most Beatles tunes that are in this vein, that seems like what they did, and it works. You have a great voice, and your performance in this is dead on, but I might agree that there's a tad too much effect at times. Maybe pull the doubled parts down just a tad so they are quite as obvious. Other than that, I'm really impressed. I love the writing and the arrangement, and the backup vocals sound especially nice.

You have the Beatles type sound just about mastered...just curious, what types of instruments, samples, effects, etc, are in your setup that you rely on most for this? I'm such a huge fan of this type of production, but wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to emulate it. Also, do you ever listen to Jellyfish? IMHO, their production values are superb and you might find some inspiration there.

This was a great listen, thanks for posting!

Best Regards,

Dave DeWhitt
SoundClick artist: Dave DeWhitt - page with MP3 music downloads

I love all the influences I hear in your tunes..I could name half a dozen straight off, which gives it all a familiar feel, but not stale

Cant really comment on the mix as Im not hearing much wrong with it, you appear to have a sound you want to recreate, and its quite a bit more skillful than I could manage..

just wanted to say good job, commercial quality imo :)

Another fantastic peice Macle, really great all around, cant say I have any suggestions other than keep posting your work. Really enjoy it!

Vocals and bass are spectacular on this. Well performed and captured. Not a big fan of that horn sound in there (piano was nice though).

I kind of get what people are saying about the drums as they're so wide and varied sounding that you lose a little cohesiveness there, but honestly not sure I would've picked on that if it hadn't already been mentioned. Really a nice recording. Well done.

I like it. Not much I would do. Seems like the vocals ebb & flow a bit volume wise, but that might be my ears.

Good song, I like the lyrical mood. You sound George-ish on this. Nice. :)

Thanks. :cool:

Thanks.

On the vocal volume, you mean from section to section, right? Each section is so different, single, then double, then 3 part, etc., I did have trouble gauging the relative volumes. Will have to work on that.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Wow! Listen to the Beatles, much? :^)

I liked this a lot. It is original, yes? I did a search to see if it was a Lennon cover!

That's pretty cool right there.

Melodic, well arranged, good imagination. Everything is there...all the elements. There's one spot where I'd have added two beats to a measure to allow word phrasing to play out naturally, and throw an interesting curve at the listener. Other than that, nothing to nit on the words, melody, or arrangement. Musta been a head tune?

Thanks very much for that, that's all I care about really.

Anyway, the recording is nitworthy:

The drums' pan is all over the field...too wide. I think you lose the cohesiveness of the set, played as a set, when it's that wide....the floor tom is in the broom closet off-stage, left, etc. The sound of the kit is distant. The cymbals ...I don't remember any big, signature G Martin crash sounds. Ringo's deep crashes....Martin made them sound like your nose was at the edge of the thing...touching. In fact, the whole work sounds distant.

There are features passing along way to the L&R...like the trumpet...that'd sound good closer to center, I think.

Maybe too much overall FX? Using as many samples as this work does, I think y' gotta print 'em, and leave 'em alone. The stuff, working together, becomes a mash, sort of. Maybe thin things? Find a slot for the instruments to work in alone. Don't compress as much. Pull back on the FX. Let the music speak for itself, with clean, unadulterated sounds. Feature the main instruments at higher levels....park the orchestration in the back for flavor.......a soup with too much pepper and garlic, so to speak.

The FX on the vocal get old after a while. A section of dry, in-yer-face, would be a treat.

A great song. Listen to the Beatles stuff, headphones on, from the perspective of engineer, now. Some organization of the mix, weeding, FX discipline, and clarity of sound will put you over the top! MHO

Yes, too much Pepper! Those toms, it's funny, I felt they weren't coming through, so I tried to enhance them by "sampling" them and then layering then back in...too much botox as it were...it's so hard to find the balance between over doing it and not enough......trying to be a Geoff Emerick-wannabe on top of a George Martin-wannabe on top of a Rutles-wannabe is killing me!

Thanks very much for taking the time, I appreciate it. Hopefully I can get it together a bit on a remix.

Great stuff. You've got some skills for sure! If I have to nit a couple of things, I'd probably pick on the drum panning, particularly the toms...I don't care for the way they are all over to the left, it sounds weird and unnatural to my ears. I'm hearing the features Jeff mentioned above a little differently though, at least on first listen - I'd maybe take a couple of the accent pieces like the trumpets, horns, etc, and pan them out a little more so they stick out and are separated more. In my memory of most Beatles tunes that are in this vein, that seems like what they did, and it works. You have a great voice, and your performance in this is dead on, but I might agree that there's a tad too much effect at times. Maybe pull the doubled parts down just a tad so they are quite as obvious. Other than that, I'm really impressed. I love the writing and the arrangement, and the backup vocals sound especially nice.

You have the Beatles type sound just about mastered...just curious, what types of instruments, samples, effects, etc, are in your setup that you rely on most for this? I'm such a huge fan of this type of production, but wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to emulate it. Also, do you ever listen to Jellyfish? IMHO, their production values are superb and you might find some inspiration there.

This was a great listen, thanks for posting!

Best Regards,

Dave DeWhitt
SoundClick artist: Dave DeWhitt - page with MP3 music downloads

Thanks for the great compliments and feedback!

As far as what I use, just basic stuff...the basic track is all real stuff, and then things like the strings and horns and a bit of sitar and flutes and trumpet and all that are all just typical sampled sounds (which I don't really like but what are ya gonna do?). Then some effects (too much!), a long Lennony sort of delay in the second verse, a short Revolver type delay effect in the first and third verse.

What's funny is I'm totally burnt out on these over the top productions. I had recently decided I was going to only use real instruments, and keep things simple, because it's all too much. But on this song, the whole Beatlesque thing sucked me back in. From now on, I'm only going to rip off stuff like Get Back, or maybe Blackbird.

Thanks!

I love all the influences I hear in your tunes..I could name half a dozen straight off, which gives it all a familiar feel, but not stale

Cant really comment on the mix as Im not hearing much wrong with it, you appear to have a sound you want to recreate, and its quite a bit more skillful than I could manage..

just wanted to say good job, commercial quality imo :)

Thanks very much!

Vocals and bass are spectacular on this. Well performed and captured. Not a big fan of that horn sound in there (piano was nice though).

I kind of get what people are saying about the drums as they're so wide and varied sounding that you lose a little cohesiveness there, but honestly not sure I would've picked on that if it hadn't already been mentioned. Really a nice recording. Well done.

Thank you very much!

Very Beatle-ish which is a good thing. Plus vocal harmonies that remind me of oher 70's bands.
There's a million different sounds going on but they flow and ebb nicely and all seem to have a place in the song.
Well crafted and excellent performances. Recording is fine by me - everything is getting good attention and it's well balanced.
!!!!!!

Great job, awesome stuff.

Cut, print, straight off to the Beatles channel on Pandora.

I find nothing worth picking at here. Fantastic.

I love this. Who wouldn't?

I would not do a thing.

Ear candy all the way through.

No thanks required, the song is thanks enough.

I thought of Pink Floyd when the vocals began but that changed fast when the tune took off. The drums, at least the snare and kick, sounded a bit thin to me. I'd agree with the "too much pepper" comment also, but overall the song is pretty damn good. I'd like to hear your "blackbird" side verses the busy type Sgt.Pepper stuff.

Someone mentioned Harrison, with which I agree. I would add Jeff Lynne to the lst of influences I detect.

I enjoyed the assorted sonic punctuation marks . . . the odd sounds that snuck in here and there.

I only have one minor worry with the track. Between 1:06 and 1:16 the lead vocal goes into a dramatic mode, and I think loses just a bit of control. I think there is enough going on in the song not to need this, and it would work better just being sung straight.

Very good song, very Beatles-like.
My only nit would be too much reverb on the voice. Otherwise great performance, song-writing and mix.

Back