Got a favorite pedal in your rig?

You all seem to have the pedals down pretty good so I'll go the other direction: NEVER NEVER buy the DOD OCTOPLUS FX35 Supposed to drop the sound an octave and be capable of separating the notes or playing in harmony. Yep, kinda does as long as it is one note at a time. I thought I would sell it off on Ebay but I don't believe it will bring shipping charges.

I was a big pedal head but like others here I've learned over time how much a pedal chain sucks desirable frequencies out of your tone and I now use the amp settings and guitar volume to shape tone alot more , regardless of true pedal bypass in my experience your never going to get the best out of a good amp when you've got a chain running into it, however saying all that l do use keeley pedals esp the time machine or Java boost pedals as well as his compressors, I reckon he's made some amazing pedals though not so blown away with his more recent creations - got the skreddy supatone recently and of all the fuzz pedals I've owned I reckon this one is beautiful, it has a guitar/bass toggle switch that can put you into much deeper tones, it's got killer sustain and alot of flexibility compared to the bulk of other fuzz pedals out there, the skreddy echo is am incredible pedal also, his pedals are well worth checking out, pricey but worth it if you want to get it right the first time

After a couple of decades of using 9v batteries I finally got that DC supply Greg suggested.

Noticed two things, 1 my cry baby doesn't work. It bypasses, but turn it on and it's just silence. Anyone know of a common problem on a CBG95? 2 my flanger works much better now, I always thought this pedal was shit but for some reason it's much better from the mains. Anyone else noticed a sound difference like this with pedals?

I've not used the HM2 for a very long time (maybe about 20 years!)image.jpg, probably since I got my first proper amp, it sounds way shitter than I thought when I was 14.

The wah doesn't work with a battery either. It's just dead. Moved house at least twice since I last used it so it could have taken a few knocks and bumps.

Last edited:
Those one-spots are nice, I'm not sure if I've ever noticed a difference in pedal performance using it vs 9v batteries though. Could have something to do with the draw of the flanger you've got. If a 9v battery only has enough juice for it when it's completely brand new, as the power decays from the battery the pedal will react accordingly. This can sound good in rare cases, like an overdrive pedal, but maybe not so much with a flanger or any other modulations.

Sucks about the wah pedal; might be able to change the pot out and make it work again though.

Yeah, given that it's basically dead now I don't mind gutting it to practice my pedal mods and soldering on. Wanted to do a true bypass mod anyway.

Lol @ the hand written signs.

Crybabies are notorious for shitty switches and bad pots. They sound great when they work, but they're fragile. Check that shit out.

Yeah, I am sure it's something I can sort out if I arse about with a soldering iron and some parts for a few hours. They're pretty simple things really and anything damaged on the board itself should be easy to spot.

I've managed to coax a half decent tone out of the HM-2 now. I'll post up a tone comparison later if I get a spare half hour.

Fortunately not. It's basically just a distortion pedal but more bottom end than the DS1.

Also, it's 1 am and I am fucking smashed so this might not be true. Mrs is making cheese on toast.

I had a crybaby not working and it was a broken wire. But it's no true bypass and it's a monster tone-sucker.
I usually don't care about such things but this is far more than you can adjust an amp to compensate for.

Both of my crybabys have an issue with the power socket. It takes some jiggling of the wires sometimes and they occasionally are sensitive to any movement. Use the battery for the wah if it's an issue for you.

My favorite pedal (at the moment) is a Jeckyll and Hyde by Visual Sound. Although, I just broke out an early 70's Univox Super Fuzz and ran it through a cranked '61 Fender Princeton and it sounded heavenly. Unfortunately, the pedal is too noisy to use for most applications.

I don't remember my SuperFuzz as being particularly noisy, but it's been a long time since I plugged it in. Of course, I'm not cranking it either.

Which one is yours, the red and blue, the black and grey, all black?

Mine's the red and blue.

Wish I had a Princeton. I'd take a '64, though. But I wouldn't be running the Univox through it.

Black and Grey I think. The piece that says super fuzz came off years ago and there's no back anymore. I bought it for $10 at a record store in 1984 or so. Had a power jack wired into as well. Sounds great through my Princeton.

I'm not super wild about any of my pedals but they all get "a couple" nice sounds.

Most used, probably 535Q, Carbon Copy, Pog2, HR2 Harmonist, MXR m117 flange and MXR green OD.

Back