Good *USED* EQ's under $600

stevem554

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a parametric eq for tracking guitar and bass amps and maybe for tweaking some drum samples as well.

My budget is 600 clams, so I'm looking on ebay for a good used eq. (mono or stereo)

I was looking at UREI, Symetrix, Orban. Are these good brands? any specific model #'s I should seek out? any other brands to look for?

thanks for you help. :)

Speck's are really nice... Ashly would be in that range... Orban makes some pretty cool stuff if you get the "nice" ones (I just found a black-face 642B - Fairly rare, 5532 op amps throughout - Not for sale :D).

I'd go stereo if I were you... Not that having a Speck would be a bad thing, but a stereo unit doubles the fun, you know?

stevem554 said:
I was looking at UREI, Symetrix, Orban. Are these good brands? any specific model #'s I should seek out? any other brands to look for? :)

Yea, those are really good brands, actually.

As far as inexpensive, high-value, used EQ goes, an Orban would likely be your best bet.

What you want to look for is the DBX 242 Parametric. Technically, it's an Orban, originally designed and distributed by them before dbx bought them out. Very high-quality, high-value stuff. Bob (Orban) himself will tell you it's the best thing he's ever designed. If those are too tough for you to find, then you might see if you can score one of the Orban 672A's, 642B's or something along those lines.

Another brand/model you didn't mention that is also pretty good are the Rane models. The PE-15, I believe is their more popular one that seems to have a lot of fans.

Chess is spot on. I've heard that Rane unit before and it was quite nice.

But...

the Orban designed dbx242 has been one of the best purchases around my personal studio for a while. I found 2 on eBay in mint condition for $250 shipped to my door and that's on the higher end of the purchase price scale. But, the guy I bought them from was selling both and was the original owner for both and apparently he never really used them for some reason.

You cannot go wrong with it. Harvey owns about 5 of them also I think, and he never bothered to modify them or anything either. As is, they smoke, but you can perform a couple of mods to improve things if you're picky.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=d...pro&selm=94iqbj$d1e$4@bob.news.rcn.net&rnum=1

That's Bob Orban posting at the bottom there.

Best of luck.

Warren

Back