Good Mic Pre, focusrite

wyr2hs

Is the Platnum Voice master processer pro, what ever its called a good deal, does it work well. What are other good processers for this price.
Marshall

I have used a Focusrite Trakmaster with the digital output option and fair quality condenser mics (Rode NTK/ NT1A/ AT3035), and have been pretty happy with the cleanness of the sound. I bought a second Focusrite (at a huge discount) last weekend.

There are many who would dismiss Focusrite Platinum series devices, largely owing to the quality of the compressor on vocals, but they are quite workable in a home studio I have found, and good with guitar.

I know that many here like the RNP (really nice preamp) and RNC (really nice compressor) as a worthwhile alternative.

The Voicemaster has had some good reviews. I feel it is pretty good in terms of bang per buck.

As ever, try before you buy to see that your mic/instrument and the preamp work well together on your program material (ie. your voice / guitar / etc).

I have the vmp and use it with regularity on acoustic guitars and vocals (sometimes)
The tl audio line is pretty close in price and sounds better on voices(imho)
I have an hhb that has a lot of kick and color (radius 50)
I also have an atc-2 that is very clean....fletch is right about the pre being kind of weak, but with a 4033 or ntk it does fine (really doesn't work well with a dynamic or ribbon or mic that needs a lot of gain help) the eq and compressor are also VERY nice
nope this helps
In His Name
Big Kenny

I have a Trakmaster, which is not what I would call a very transparent pre, but whatever the hell "warmth" is, it's got a bunch of it. It's colored, but it's a color I've decided to keep in my rack.
RD

Back