GMega is stuck on a single "patch"

bhweb

Hello. I have a Kawai GMega sound module that I used for years as an expander with a live rig. Now, it will only sound its "Program #1", which is titled "GrPiano". So far, I have read the manual, looking for settings that might cause this; I have done a System-Edit Factory Reset, more than once, and scrolled through every parameter that I could think of to find out why it is stuck. All of the other usual functions seem OK: the sound is great, it responds to MIDI commands as usual, and there is no "flakiness" that would imply hardware problems such as a fault with the power supply or main PCB. In other words, being stuck in Program #1 seems to be its only problem right now. If anyone in the group has experienced this with the GMega, please let me know how you got it back on its feet.

I had an old Yamaha FB01 which did the same thing. Tracked down to a failed back up battery. With the battery flat for a few years in the store the other sounds were gone. They did not come back in my case. Yamaha told me the sounds were in volatile memory, which needed the battery, and while a capacitor allowed a safe battery changed. A few years of flatness killed it. Hopefully you will find a new battery or maybe if it’s not flat, and the removal and replacement could be enough to reset it if it’s just fuddled?

I had an old Yamaha FB01 which did the same thing. Tracked down to a failed back up battery. With the battery flat for a few years in the store the other sounds were gone. They did not come back in my case. Yamaha told me the sounds were in volatile memory, which needed the battery, and while a capacitor allowed a safe battery changed. A few years of flatness killed it. Hopefully you will find a new battery or maybe if it’s not flat, and the removal and replacement could be enough to reset it if it’s just fuddled?
Hello, Rob. I had not considered that since the unit behaves normally except for this one issue. I will look into it; thank you!

Hi, Rob. I opened the unit and carefully took a reading on the battery. It read 3.11V, which according to what I have read about the coin-sized types, is a full charge. Also, when I used the MIDI-OX utility as a direct monitor to send it direct commands to change programs, it started to behave normally. The local service shop said that they cannot get service manuals for this unit, even direct from Kawai. So, I guess that it is "back to the drawing board" on this one. Thanks again for your suggestions ...

Can you see any EPROMs if the sounds are in one of those they could simply have ‘forgotten’ the sounds, but it doesn’t sound good repair wise at all, does it?

Back