Ghost & Co., sing you a love song

The Ghost of FM said:
My gosh!

The general conscience seems to be to;

1 - Fatten up the bass. This is a good idea as it does seem a Little too thin and mid rangey right now.

2 - Take the drum kit down a db or so. Also not a bad idea!

3 - Rein in the stereo vocals a bit and trim a bit of the verb off of them as well, tweak the levels to give them the focus they demand in the song. This too, is sound advice!

LONG LIVE THE CLINIC!:)

Yes but check the vox after adjusting the panning...the verb might be cool...maybe over do the verb on the harmony vox to get an exaggerated effect....

Good tune man..I liked it a lot....
be watching for a re-mix...
Take it easy man,
Joe

sounds good ghost.. my only nits are the drums seem loud and the bass seems low.. I think if the drums were lowered (like Lt. Bob said) the vocal levels would be better..

Nice beatles'ish vibe ghost.

The picked acoustic sounded a little clanky here. Is there chorus on it? Ive noticed in my stuff chorus can kinda do that sometimes. ...just trying to add something that hasnt been mentioned..... ...small nit. Nice

Right off - really nice recording quality. Cool pop song! Reminds me a bit of the Byrds. That's a good thing!

BillyFurnett - Thanks for checking out the tune! I guess you actually downloaded this one as I didn't see your normal lo-fi critique here. Glad you like the track!

Kramer - Thanks for chiming in and for the kind words!

fprod south - Thanks for your mixing advice. The tambourine was part of the original rhythm pattern and wasn't added on to it but, we did like the sound of it and went with that pattern.

As for the drums being too loud or just right, I guess it's largely personal choice but, I did have that thought in the back of my mind that they were a little too hot for me in the beginning of the track but seem to blend better once everything kicks in.

dtb - Thanks for checking in and glad you liked the track!

joro - Thanks for your comments and mixing advice. It's appreciated very much. About the verb, I know the modern approach is to keep the verb times short and toward the dry side as this tends to add clarity to the sound but sometimes, it just sounds right to go a little overboard and think outside the box.

Thanks, man!

B.SABBATH - Thanks, B. We will keep a careful watch on the vocals to make sure they are in the rightful place once the bass gets some fattening and the kit goes on a diet!

Guernica - Thanks for the Beatles vibe comparison! I don't personally feel worthy to breath the same air those guys did in their prime but, I am sure we have all been influenced by them in our own way. Their harmony work and pop sensibilities are something that my buddy Doug has captured on a great many of his tunes as he was always a great fan of their music and many other AM radio pop stars and I have always drifted more toward the FM side of things.

rats - Thanks for checking out our music! This is the first time I have seen your comments on our stuff and am pleased that you liked the tune and the memories of other artists that it brought forward for you. I like your stuff too and especially your entertaining commentary in the Cave. Very cool.

Thanks again to everyone who checked out the tune so far. Doug and I are very pleased with the help and advice we have received here and touched that our stuff has entertained you a little too in the process.

Cheers! :)

I'm trying to catch up on some listening so I didn't read the thread. Sorry for any repeats.

Good pop song. I want to tell you I don't like the vocal panning so wide, but you know, it's not that annoying here. Maybe it's because your voice is pretty soothing so it doesn't matter as much. I don't know. Sounds good though.

I don't really have much to say about the mix. I think I can hear everything just fine, and I don't hear any conflicts on the monitors. I think anything else would fall under nitpicks that you'll hear for yourself if they really matter. Good stuff.

I listened to this in my car on my way to work and really loved the production! Everything is so crystal clear. Now I'm listening on head-phones and I can really hear the openness of the production. Something needs to go dead center to really balance it all out, maybe that main vocal.

Otherwise, this has a really great sound to it. Very well tracked and very nice arrangement. Oh yeah, I dig the song too. You did a great job on this. Maybe just a little more tweaking.

The drums sounded good to for the fake stuff. Nice job!

:D

This is really cool stuff, kind of has G 'n R Lies vibe to it except these guys can sing better.

The guitar sounds are great, maybe this was mentioned earlier in the post but what kind of mics were used on acoustics and vocals?

Nice stuff.

Warren

SLuiCe - Thanks for checking out the tune! Your synopsis is a good one and makes a lot of sense. I like the new avatar, BTW!:cool:

boydrj - Thanks for the mobile critique! I'm glad you like the track. The thing about a hole in the middle is a solid observation and one that will be part of the re-mix notes to keep an eye on. Thanks!

Warhead - Thanks for checking out my stuff! All the acoustic guitars and vocals were Mic'd with an AT4033a large diaphragm studio condenser. Thanks to overdubbing, one microphone was all that was needed to record the four guitar parts and the four vocal tracks in the tune. I will do my best to check out your stuff shortly and comment on one or two tracks. Thanks.;)

To everyone else Thanks again!;) This will be the final bump by me.

Cheers! :)

I've got a 4033 and can't find a vocalist it works with! Damn good job with it, I knew it smoked on acoustic but that's A+ stuff right there.

By the way, I've discovered the Oktava MC012's (selling cheap right now) are awesome acoustic guitar mics and very good on overheads as well.

Warren

Back