Getting orange distortion tone from my Blackstar HT-40?

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
Whats up peeps, been a while :)

I have been checking out Orange amps and the harmonic distortion with the gain cranked up is just sick and I'm really wanting to get that sound. If you have an Orange amp or have played them you know what I am talking about, even with single notes it gets so thick it's just unreal.

I'm using a Blackstar HT-Club 40 right now and even with my gain maxed I can't replicate that thick Orange tone. Even the Micro Terror is able to produce some amazing dirty tone with a single tube.

So I'm wondering, I don't use any pedals but I was thinking maybe an overdrive pedal might push the pre-amp tubes a little more so I can get that break up I am looking for. Has anyone had any luck with overdriving Blackstar amps? I don't have any pedals to test it with, I will probably end up taking a trip to GC and trying some pedals out on a Blackstar amp.

I have been thinking about selling my Blackstar and getting an Orange Tiny Tiny Terror combo. I think i can probably get $450-500 for the Blackstar and the tinyTerror combo is $899 so I would have to come up with $400... But the Tiny Terror combo is about 10 lbs. lighter and I don't need a loud amp. But if I can just get a decent pedal then that would be a lot cheaper.

The Blackstar: 2xEL34; 2xECC83,
The TT : 2xEL84; 2xECC83/12AX7

But I think its the ECC83 tubes that are providing the breakup, although I don't know much about tubes... maybe I just need to push my blackstar tubes harder? :confused:

Look what the cat dragged in! :D

WTF you been hiding?

I've lusted after a couple of the Orange amp models. Yes...you should try a pedal in front of the Blackstar.
I don't know which one will give the exact tone you are after, and I have a bunch of OD pedals....but as a current recommendation, I recently picked up a Pigtronix FAT drive....and man, that thing is sweet and it sure is FAT!!!

Got it used on eBay pretty cheap, but even new, they are not too pricey. I dig the Pigtronix stuff, Dave Koltai makes some crazy pedals and he's also a friendly guy, I've had several emails with him and on the phone, and he took care of some things I needed, even sent me some switches for free to replace a broken one.
I have a bunch of Pigtronix pedals.

This is a decent price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pigtronix-F..._Accessories&hash=item19e601c8ba#ht_61wt_1022

Another one that I picked up recently when Lt. Bob mentioned it....the Catalinbread RAH....it really kicks ass and you can dial in a variety of tones. It's a bit more than the Pigtronix FAT, but worth it....though I really dig the FAT drive, and it's a different flavor than the RAH....and yeah, it instantly gives you a fat tone.

thanks Miro, I got a new job and its pretty much taken over my life :o I will check out the Fat Drive, might just be the thing I need. sucks, cause I was totally happy with the Blackstar until I really heard the tone on the Orange TH30, then I found it on several of the others like the TinyTerror, even their little one tube Micro Terror ($150!) gets a nice thick tone on it!

Orange kills Blackstar. Kills it. You wanna have your mind blown? Find an Orange Rockerverb to play. Then look at the price. Then walk away, but know you just played a bad ass amp.

I bet the Fulltone OCD would slam that Blackstar into monster territory. The OCD sounds kind of Orange-ish all by itself.

I know of a TH30 for sale for 500 bucks. PM me if you're interested.

Back