Get There

I hate to sound like a parrot, but I hear what Greg hears, especially about the snare leaning to the left.

The drum "Sound" actually is good. I can tell that it's a good source sound. I really just think it's over compressed. Just for fun, I would do a mix with no compression on the drums (might have to adjust volumes), and see what happens.

But, aside from picking on the snare :) , I think everything sounds pretty good. Mainly, it's a good tune and you have a nice, deep voice. That's what most people would notice.

...I used the "quiet up and loud dowm" preset in the VC 64 compressor. Hopefully it's not squashed....
You gotta STOP using presets.:eek:

It's a rule.

Fire BAAAAD. Presets BAAAAAAAAD. Transients GOOOOOOOOD.:D That's my whole philosophy, man.

I don't think the snares any better. It sounds super-compressed and bright. Too much snap. It seems to be leaning to the left as well. The rest sounds much better.

My fault, Greg, I panned the snare to the left. Stupid idea. I remember now, kick, snare and bass right down the middle, right? I'll have to figure a way to get the drums out of the master mix. I'll "get there" eventually. :D

I hate to sound like a parrot, but I hear what Greg hears, especially about the snare leaning to the left.

The drum "Sound" actually is good. I can tell that it's a good source sound. I really just think it's over compressed. Just for fun, I would do a mix with no compression on the drums (might have to adjust volumes), and see what happens.

But, aside from picking on the snare :) , I think everything sounds pretty good. Mainly, it's a good tune and you have a nice, deep voice. That's what most people would notice.

Thanks for not giving up on me, RAMI,

I'll rework the drums and take them out of the compressed mix.

You gotta STOP using presets.:eek:

It's a rule.

Fire BAAAAD. Presets BAAAAAAAAD. Transients GOOOOOOOOD.:D That's my whole philosophy, man.

I'm all ears, man. Could I start with presets and then adjust what is too drastic? I don't have anything outboard, just what ships with Sonar. Any, and I mean ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. How about no compression at all? I can ride all the faders to automate all the tracks, but it never gets very hot without some after the fact tweaking. Leveling in Wavelab use to do some of the same thing. Any help?

I'm all ears, man. Could I start with presets and then adjust what is too drastic? ...
Use presets just to learn about the variety of settings the plugin can do. Listen and tweak... listen and tweak, and on and on. After a little tweaking you'll be creating your own presets that you'll use as starting points with similar sounding tracks in the future. With compression - experiment a lot with attack, release, ratio and threshold and get a feel for how they relate. It's a balancing act. Small changes make a big difference. Less is more.

Still enjoying the song with every listen. The drums are better, still aren't my fav, but I'm not sure what to suggest. The chorus is really appealing to me - musically, and catchy too. It does have a certain "dreaminess" to the mix as stated previously. Cool story to the lyrics too. :D:):D:)

Been working on the drums. Still aren't dead nuts on, but better, I think.

I got slammed for panning the snare to the left. Definite no no. It's back in the center now.

Added some fills and got rid of the reverb and hopefully it's not too compressed now.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6461150&q=hi

Last edited:
Use presets just to learn about the variety of settings the plugin can do. Listen and tweak... listen and tweak, and on and on. After a little tweaking you'll be creating your own presets that you'll use as starting points with similar sounding tracks in the future. With compression - experiment a lot with attack, release, ratio and threshold and get a feel for how they relate. It's a balancing act. Small changes make a big difference. Less is more.

I ditched the reverb which was making the snare too snappy. Is this still too compressed for your ears?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, RAMI,

The snare is centered now and I ditched the reverb. Added some fills. Is this too busy?

I like it. :cool:

I dont think you will be able to fix the drums, they dont go with the music. I mean the patches and the patterns. To me, they either have to be heavier or lighter depending where you want to take it. You could go folky and have more brushy type drums, or go late Jethro Tull and really make them rock. Right now, they are merely serving as a metronome.

The song is very good. The low strings sound good as does the flute.:cool:

I like it. :cool:

I dont think you will be able to fix the drums, they dont go with the music. I mean the patches and the patterns. To me, they either have to be heavier or lighter depending where you want to take it. You could go folky and have more brushy type drums, or go late Jethro Tull and really make them rock. Right now, they are merely serving as a metronome.

The song is very good. The low strings sound good as does the flute.:cool:

Thanks, David, I'm thinking of going with a minimal approach and doing them manually. :)

The arrangement is excellent. I really like your stuff.

I think the drums can come up a little, I hear the guitar pick on the strings louder than the drums. They need more energy and sometimes volume is all it takes... DavidK's suggestion about going Jethro Tull would work well, guess the flutes call for that. A mandolin would be great too. You got one of those?? :D

After a long hiatus from the clinic, this is one of the first songs I listened to. Glad I did.

Thanks for sharing.

Back