Mountains - original song

You've got a bit of noise in the background. I didn't notice it until it stopped abruptly at the very end. Sounds like you've got a preamp set too high somewhere. Not a big deal. This and the clipping on the previous guitar track makes me think you might be tracking too hot. With digital, you can track at lower input levels than you would do with analog tape.

It might be the Studer tape plugin. I got it after I recorded this song, and added it to each track separately and bounced them. I probably forgot to turn off the tape noise on one of them. Now I use the Studer live during tracking, on everything, then an Ampex tape plugin for mastering. I do always try to track as hot as I can without overloading, so that could be it as well, like you said. So I guess I'll stop doing that.

Yeah, the vocal does need a little more sparkle. I was listening to it on the way home from work just now, and the main thing that stuck out to me was that the vocal doesn't stick out. The problem is that whenever I try to make my vocal sparkle, it ends up harsh and sibilant. I'll figure something out. The Avantone gives me the sparkle, I just have to learn how to handle it right.

This mix is a noticeable improvement all around. Based on what you are saying now, it seems like you are getting lost in the minutia. Make sure you satisfy yourself to be sure, but try not to get obsessed with things that don't really matter too much. You'll never be done the mix if you do this.

My vote on this tune (if I had a vote) would be to take care of the hiss/noise and maybe spend another hour doing little tweaks on things that are bothersome, but then call it done and move on.

PS - I wish I could take my own advice, because I spend so much time on things that only I will ever notice...

It might be the Studer tape plugin. I got it after I recorded this song, and added it to each track separately and bounced them. I probably forgot to turn off the tape noise on one of them. Now I use the Studer live during tracking, on everything, then an Ampex tape plugin for mastering. I do always try to track as hot as I can without overloading, so that could be it as well, like you said. So I guess I'll stop doing that.

It sounds like you're still making the transition from an analog to a digital mindset. There are some key differences, and one of them is input level. I had to break that habit of recording hot too. It works with analog tape which compresses in response to a hot signal. It doesn't work with digital, which just clips when you slam it. Get used to lower input levels, and focus on getting a clean signal through your entire chain. The wave forms look ridiculously puny at first sight, but it's really not a problem and boosting the level is easy once you have a clean signal tracked.

Personally, I'd be cautious about adding any effect to all your tracks. The potential is high to have one of those "what was I thinking?" moments when you listen back a month or year from now! Maybe try that Studer out on the mix bus?

I think the vocal level is sitting about right in mix #2.

It sounds like you left the reverb where it was. To me, this mix would sound much better if it were considerably dryer. Like just a hint of a mid-size room reverb. It also seems like the vocals have much more reverb on them than the rest of the tracks.

I'm still not hearing much from the drums. They're mostly cymbals.

Hmm. I did bring up the drums a good bit. I never wanted drums to be a huge part of the sound of this, even when I wrote it years ago. The first time I recorded it when I was 19, with my 4-track cassette recorder (I feel old saying that), my drummer had these sticks that were like bundles of little wood sticks bound together. They sounded like a cross between brushes and regular sticks. For this I used a brush kit from Abbey Road Vintage Drummer. I want them to be fairly soft, but of course not too low because the groove is important. I brought everything up on that last mix, probably as high as I'll want it. But I'm about to listen to what I did last night on the way to work (for some reason my stock Ranger stereo system is a good benchmark for recordings), so I'll give that more consideration. I'll also pay attention to the reverb. I'm normally very conservative with reverb, but I wanted it a little more prevalent on this. I thought it was still fairly light, but I'll look at it again. If what I did last night sounds as good as I think it does, then I'm done. I'll post it later tonight if it's good. I brightened up the vocal some, and I made the guitar warmer and fuzzier. I'm about to find out, after a good sleep, if it was in good taste.

The Studer is designed for use on each track, as if you were tracking to tape. The Ampex is for the mix bus, as if you were mastering to tape. The danger is in getting too creative with the settings when I track, as there are many options. I mostly just use the vintage preset, with the tape noise turned off. I read that for Siamese Dream, they used that exact setup, but of course with the real tape machines. I was sold when I found that out, as to me that is one of the best sounding rock albums ever.

I've been drowning in minutia for a long time now. I'm really hoping I post the final mix later tonight. Thanks guys, this has been a huge help.

instant improvement noticed in the second mix, but soon after I noticed the low end kind of disappeared. So, the intro guitar sounded much better second time around, but once the band kicks in, it drops off. I can't hear the kick or toms. Mostly that ride cymbal.

My impression is that your changes went a little too far. The clipping/popping disappeared (good) but the meat of the track got lost somehow.

Just my $0.02

instant improvement noticed in the second mix, but soon after I noticed the low end kind of disappeared. So, the intro guitar sounded much better second time around, but once the band kicks in, it drops off. I can't hear the kick or toms. Mostly that ride cymbal.

My impression is that your changes went a little too far. The clipping/popping disappeared (good) but the meat of the track got lost somehow.

Just my $0.02

I used a demo of a plugin called Voice of God on the master, and it just expired. I think that's where the meat went. I've got a freeware version of it called Bark of Dog, but it's not set up the same. So I hope I was successful in getting it back to where it was, but I've had to use headphones all night. I won't know for sure until I can listen on my monitors without waking anyone up.

For meating-it-up, Rough Rider is a good drum compressor. Code Red is also cool for master bus. Both free. I haven't heard of the other ones, but I'll check em out. Thanks for sharing those

For meating-it-up, Rough Rider is a good drum compressor. Code Red is also cool for master bus. Both free. I haven't heard of the other ones, but I'll check em out. Thanks for sharing those

Ah, I see Code Red is an Abbey Road emulation. Right up my alley! All my mixes, including this one, have the TG12345 on the master, which is the console used for the Abbey Road album and Dark Side of the Moon. I use a preset called Subtle Mastering Clarifier, which does exactly what it says. I also use it with other settings on some vocals, instruments, and drum busses. I'll have to try out Code Red, and Rough Rider. Thanks!

Voice of God is a bass resonance plugin for UAD. I've had better luck with that than the free Bark of Dog, because honestly I don't understand the thing that well and Bark of Dog doesn't have presets. I just fiddle around with it until I get a nice full low end.

I get it. Though I think you would get better results if you mixed the low end without any emulation and then used that plug for a small touch up or enhancement. Go as far as you can on your own without using those console simulators. Code Red has a huge low end boost option, fyi

I get it. Though I think you would get better results if you mixed the low end without any emulation and then used that plug for a small touch up or enhancement. Go as far as you can on your own without using those console simulators. Code Red has a huge low end boost option, fyi

I think I'm getting better at EQing things, so I'll try to follow that advice. The more I keep doing this, the less plugins I find myself using to get what I'm looking for.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1q3bgtkYyakbE1jU1ZyTVBEQ0U

Ok, I think this is pretty much done now. My only concern is do you guys think the bass is a little too strong? The bass is supposed to be prominent, the melody is a key part of the song. But of course it shouldn't be overdone. Some systems I listen on it sounds perfect, others it might be a little much.

I had to do more reworking with the mastering than I intended to, since I was using several demos that ran out. The good news is I was forced to find some free plugins, and they're really great. TripleM, after a few days out of town away from this, it did sound like too much reverb. So I took it down some. Probably not as much as you would have liked, but it is less.

Back