GAP73+UR22 or UR22+Shure 7b

I'm not sure I understand what you said here. Is it that you feel one does not need gain from an interface or that you do need gain from an interface? Something to increase that gain is ****ed up?

I am confused and a bit taken aback by your recent stride in comments. I understand 'as you have quoted me' that things get lost between the lines of text. But what up with the personal stabbing at members and being overall a grouchy pants? WTF Mack?

We can have a discussion without telling people they are fucked.

I personally have invested in interfaces and/or preamps that do not necessarily need extra gain for the SM7b. Not sure I would call out the use of other preamps as not viable is I did not own them myself. Have you tested these models and have experienced ground to give that advice other than what you have heard of or seen in reviews?

I am not talking shit or degrading you Mack, but if you say things like 'my experience', you come across as no more credible than the guy in the (pick one) video. Show facts and examples. That seems to me the most logical way to back up an opinion.

This is a forum about discussing usage of gear/software and others opinions of them via use of any particular whatever... Opinion is always going to be a big part of what we talk about, but actual usage and facts are what is best given. Your opinions may not be the same as, or as solid as you see them because your experience is not necessarily the same as others in this industry or in a home recording environment. Not everyone has the same needs in their particular situation. Period. Best we can do is use our knowledge to direct others. Hopefully without being arrogant. I have enough of that with singers...

I wondered if I should post this as a PM, but I saw a post in which you publicly assaulted another mod. So I felt fit to post this in public forum as you did.

The unspoken meaning of the TOS is to not be a dick. We spent years making sure we made that clear to past members that are no longer here because they abused the site. All four of us mods here now are devoted to make sure everyone has a voice without feeling like they are cut down for being inexperienced nor those with experience to be cut down by others with more experience. I'm not calling you one, but you seem to be pushing the boundaries of forcing your opinions on others. That is something I personally do not find as a good thing man.

Your input is greatly appreciated. The seeming arrogance is however coming across as unidirectional to me.

I have desire to join the "Good Ol Boys Club". As far as me attacking a Mod, you were attacked by a member when you tried to shove the open pink fluffy down my throte. You had your own pissing war so please step down from your high hourse. This same mod you refer to, simply sent me a pm saying I am just fucked up! Well, there went any respect I had for him! EVERY THING I post can be backed up by facts that come from more than one opinion.

In the last pm you sent to me, you stated you were rambling due to having a few beers. Maybe you should make this type of post SOBER! Since you want to make this public jimmy, here ya go.

From the mod I so called attacked in public even when another member backed me up as far as what the OP asked:

View attachment 100972

I have no desire to fuss and fight in this community but I will refuse to be attacked with my hands tied behind my back and not given the same freedom to respond back.

Jimmys, I think what Mack is trying to say in his convoluted (and yes, seemingly arrogant) way is..

Using a 'pre amp in front of another pre amp' is BY HIS LIGHTS a bad thing. Someone who buys a 7b should know this (by osmosis?) and already have a suitable AI or pre amp.

Not having either a 7b or a Cloudlifter I cannot comment on the subjective, audible results but from a purely electronics point I see no problem with the Cloudlifter nor Fethead devices? How for instance do they differ from the concept of an active ribbon?

Perhaps his style comes from deep knowledge of his subject and frustration with us lesser mortals? (I mean me Jim, not you!).

Dave.

I have desire to join the "Good Ol Boys Club". As far as me attacking a Mod, you were attacked by a member when you tried to shove the open pink fluffy down my throte. You had your own pissing war so please step down from your high hourse. This same mod you refer to, simply sent me a pm saying I am just fucked up! Well, there went any respect I had for him! EVERY THING I post can be backed up by facts that come from more than one opinion.

In the last pm you sent to me, you stated you were rambling due to having a few beers. Maybe you should make this type of post SOBER! Since you want to make this public jimmy, here ya go.

From the mod I so called attacked in public even when another member backed me up as far as what the OP asked:

View attachment 100972

I have no desire to fuss and fight in this community but I will refuse to be attacked with my hands tied behind my back and not given the same freedom to respond back.

Um, OK?

From my conversation with Steeno, we were contemplating making you the curator of the podcast forum...

Not sure why you take so quick to defend yourself and lash out at others.

I am sober right now. Not always, but pretty sure most here don't give a shit anyway...

You are being a dick now by sadly attempting to take a PM I sent you out of context? That was from a previous conversation where I reached out to you and spoke too much after having some beers before I finished the PM. That PM was in support of you. Ugh... You don't get it man. Why are you so quick to lash out?

Nobody tied back your hands by the way. You are doing that. I wear my honestly right here in my text.

Perhaps his style comes from deep knowledge of his subject and frustration with us lesser mortals? (I mean me Jim, not you!). Dave.

Your sarcasm is well noted Dave. You use the words that cut to the core thinking you are the only one who knows the meaning. You are correct about the frustration, but it has nothing to do with this community. It involves the 100's of emails I have receive over someone being sucked into getting the 7b without knowing their little $49.00 interface can't power it, with or with out the CL or the FH. Their cry is I do not have another dime to spend. My answer is then there is nothing you can do. Their response, you don;t understand, I spent my last dime. My response is it's all about the math. You can not achieve what you want to so save your money and get a cheaper mic!

Um, OK?

From my conversation with Steeno, we were contemplating making you the curator of the podcast forum...

Really, and he sends me a pm like he did!

You are being a dick now by sadly attempting to take a PM I sent you out of context?

Jimmy, you have a lock on being a dick!

Nobody tied back your hands by the way. You are doing that. I wear my honestly right here in my text.

It's your pony Jimmy, you saddle it however you see fit. As far as my parting words, this pretty well sums it up! https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...nd-very-good-professional-396740/#post4469343

With all due respect, that is the first thing I think of when I reply. It is not the studios that have the fretheads and cloudlifters, it is the people bringing them in with the 7bs.

Mack, I've had both the Cloudlifter and Fethead at the same time and I couldn't perceive a difference between the two on an SM7b. The Cloudlifter was $149 and the Fethead I got for $89. I returned the Cloudlifter and kept the Fethead, which I also use with a cheap ribbon mic. The video I posted of Cloudlifter vs Fethead was done by a well seasoned engineer/producer Chris Ronan Murphy. His findings on the two devices were essentially the same as mine and he uses at least one of them in his studio.

If you have to buy the fethead or cloudlifter you have already ****ed up by taking advice from someone, who had no business giving it in the first place or you simply do not have the knowledge to make an educated decision.
You may have the knowledge, but your insulting attitude shows you are much lacking in interpersonal skills.

Your sarcasm is well noted Dave. You use the words that cut to the core thinking you are the only one who knows the meaning. You are correct about the frustration, but it has nothing to do with this community. It involves the 100's of emails I have receive over someone being sucked into getting the 7b without knowing their little $49.00 interface can't power it, with or with out the CL or the FH. Their cry is I do not have another dime to spend. My answer is then there is nothing you can do. Their response, you don;t understand, I spent my last dime. My response is it's all about the math. You can not achieve what you want to so save your money and get a cheaper mic!

Really, and he sends me a pm like he did!

Jimmy, you have a lock on being a dick!

It's your pony Jimmy, you saddle it however you see fit. As far as my parting words, this pretty well sums it up! https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...nd-very-good-professional-396740/#post4469343

Nobody was cut to the core. Nobody ever cried. Not everyone here is broke... Take a breath man...

I'll give you that I can be a dick. I have been to those that do not give a shit about this community and are arrogant and give misinformed advice. I'll lock on to that for sure.

Ironic that you make this pony statement: I don't like ponies. Neither will my 5 year old adopted daughter. You know why? Because ponies are shitty pets for kids. The reason I know that is not from hearing about it. It is because I lived on a farm in Nebraska when I was 5 and got kicked by one myself. From my personal experience I can give advice based on what I know myself. You should try holding back your opinion and embrace experience that gives you the ability to give advice.

Pony up or shut up? lol! Sorry man, but that is funny.

You should get a sense of humor man. Ok? See?

I was always under the impression (delusion?) that PM were just that, private?
Their content should only in my view be revealed if it borders on the criminal and even then it should be vetted by a third party in confidence.

I had better leave it at that. Just too upset with the situation and might say something I regret.

(What does "token expired mean? Get that from T2T)

Dave.

You don't "power" passive microphones. This is what a lot of us are on about Mack, get your facts right.
I know I am a bit pedantic about these matters but this IS a place for impecunious newbs who sometimes get shafted into buying the wrong product.

They need solid, accurate advice not palmed off with all the empathy of a Komodo dragon.

Dave.

Anyway guys, thanks a lot for input and valuable info. I might get some decent preamp for that Shure . VTB-1 seems like a good option too.

Back