Got a 1000$ to spend.....

Oh! Henry

Got a 1000$ to spend.....help me spend it

Hey guys,

I've been building up a small studio and to date I have acquired the following equipment:

Mics:
Rode AT1-A
AT 4040
GAP R1 active ribbon
2 SM 57
Heil PR40
Old turner mic for that vintage sound

GAP Pre-73 preamp, MAckie 802-VLZ-3 mixer, and Focusrite 6i6 for my interface,

I just sold a bunch of stuff and have about 1000$ to put into studio equipment. How would you guys spend this? Which part of my chain would benefit most from a decent upgrade. My immediate goal is to record my Rockabilly/county/bluegrass band so Micing the upright is gonna be very important. I'll probably track the 4 piece band in one take then replace each track seperatly, but having 8 inputs might be useful though.

So yeah.....spend away!!

Last edited:
Don't know what you have for a room or monitors, but that's where your money is spent best. If you're recording and mixing in the same room, you'll have to compromise between a live room and a mixing room. If you've got two separate rooms, then acoustically treat the mixing room first.

oups forgot to mention the monitors, I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5, and the room is somewhat treated, wall treatments are going up and bass traps are going to be removable since the recording will be done in my home office space, so they'll be going up and down as needed.

Recording and mixing will indeed be done in the same space unless I find better suited spaces in my house for recording (like my basement which has acoustic tiles on the ceiling)

Back